• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did Monolith Soft run over Square-Enix with 'X'?

Gravijah

I fucking love Legend of Mana's OST.

It is quite possibly my favorite OST ever for what is likely my favorite JRPG ever.
that's just one game, and quite the lowering of standards after the vastly superior XII...but you too know that

and it is, which is another reason why Sega >>>> Square m'man

XII is unfinished, so it gets unfinished love. Sega needs to hurry up on PSO2 Vita localization, though.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
S-E has grown too big for its own good.

Indeed.
I'm terrible

Fat_Lightning_by_AkaFa.jpg

CorvoSol

I feel like we're all slowly going insane in these threads. Like, Aeana, Dark Schala, Meccanical, Kagari, Shinta, Esura, Perfo, Magius, myself, DJNoctis
has been crazy all along
et al are going to slowly go mad from over exposure to Square Enixium, and we'll kill ourselves at Versus launch as part of a suicide pact.

. . . or we're just kinda weird people.

demidar

I feel like we're all slowly going insane in these threads. Like, Aeana, Dark Schala, Meccanical, Kagari, Shinta, Esura, Perfo, Magius, myself, DJNoctis
has been crazy all along
et al are going to slowly go mad from over exposure to Square Enixium, and we'll kill ourselves at Versus launch as part of a suicide pact.

. . . or we're just kinda weird people.

You could fix that by following other franchises.

CorvoSol

You could fix that by following other franchises.

It only goes down hill from here. First you move to Zelda and get caught in a cycle of infinite hatred. Then Sonic and you start thinking about inflation. Before you know it you're into My Little Pony amputation diaper fetishism.

demidar

It only goes down hill from here. First you move to Zelda and get caught in a cycle of infinite hatred. Then Sonic and you start thinking about inflation. Before you know it you're into My Little Pony amputation diaper fetishism.

You should really stop going to the "awesome" fanart thread. I don't think you can handle it.

Jac_Solar

Looks like an MMORPG -- that is, it has such a massive scope and world that it just doesn't seem likely, or possible, to be a single player RPG. And the quickbar sort of looks exactly like the MMORPG kind, but that's probably a placeholder. I hope it's a single player game though, that would be amazing.

Perhaps they are working with an MMORPG engine to try and make a single player game. Ie; bringing single player immersion into it (Such as personalized quests, relationships with NPC's, more freedom in mechanics and stats, more monster individuality/uniqueness.)

duckroll

Looks like an MMORPG -- that is, it has such a massive scope and world that it just doesn't seem likely, or possible, to be a single player RPG. And the quickbar sort of looks exactly like the MMORPG kind, but that's probably a placeholder. I hope it's a single player game though, that would be amazing.

Perhaps they are working with an MMORPG engine to try and make a single player game. Ie; bringing single player immersion into it (Such as personalized quests, relationships with NPC's, more freedom in mechanics and stats, more monster individuality/uniqueness.)

You sound like you haven't seen or played Xenoblade, because all the things you mentioned (scope of the world, quickbar, etc) are basically identical to Xenoblade. And no, it's likely not a placeholder. Xenoblade wasn't a MMORPG. :p

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXr1SmWdT8o

Jac_Solar

You sound like you haven't seen or played Xenoblade, because all the things you mentioned (scope of the world, quickbar, etc) are basically identical to Xenoblade. And no, it's likely not a placeholder. Xenoblade wasn't a MMORPG. :p

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXr1SmWdT8o

I have it, but that game isn't in HD. It has more to do with the scope, and (assumption.) requirement of towns, dungeons, stuff to do, etc in the world. And since it seems to be so huge, there should be more than 1 huge town. If it's a single player game, they'll probably scale it down, or, perhaps, the enviroment in the trailer was the entirety of the world.

It's just that it seems to be so amazing, it's hard to believe it's going to be a single player game.

And nevermind about the quickbar, I thought it was an actionbar ala MMORPG style but the character was in combat.

Riposte

I put Xenoblade and MMORPGs (especially FFXI and FFXIV) in the same genre. Xenoblade is most certainly designed like one.

Jac_Solar

?????????????

What does that have to do with being a MMORPG? :p

The implied size and epicness of such a game in HD would usually imply that it's an MMORPG due to the associated budget and costs of such a large game. MMORPG's costs far, far more than single player games, and needs to have a team that regularly updates it, and fills in the content, as the majority of the content will be concentrated in the beginning areas at first.

I'm not trying to convince anyone that it's an MMORPG, just that it seems so amazing that it's almost hard to believe it's a single player game.

kswiston

The implied size and epicness of such a game in HD would usually imply that it's an MMORPG due to the associated budget and costs of such a large game. MMORPG's costs far, far more than single player games, and needs to have a team that regularly updates it, and fills in the content, as the majority of the content will be concentrated in the beginning areas at first.

Not seeing your point. All of this generation, Bethesda games have had to-scale towns that allow you to explore every room of every building, all set in a fully traversable world that is at least as large as the combined explorable areas in Xenoblade. All in HD. It's not like magic is required to make HD towns.

Soriku

I'm not trying to convince anyone that it's an MMORPG, just that it seems so amazing that it's almost hard to believe it's a single player game.

Uh...like Skyrim?

Jac_Solar

Wut. I'm sorry, I just think you're talking nonsense now. :(

What do you mean, grammatically? I apologize. I meant that a game on the scale of the one seen in the trailer doesn't seem possible for a single player game, because of the required budget. MMORPG's are much larger than single player games, but also cost far more to make.

[The implied size and epicness of a game like the one seen in the trailer would usually imply that it's an MMORPG, due to the associated budget and costs of such a large game. A Single Player game on such a scope is still unprecedented in HD.]

I'm just amazed at the possibility that it might be a single player game, because, based on the trailer, it seems to be considerably larger than any other HD game to date.

Uh...like Skyrim?

Yes, exactly. Skyrim is an oddity compared to other games, even with all the procedural content. It's on another level in terms of content and scope. And this game seems to be bigger, and have a far larger scope and scale, and not made by Bethesda.

Not seeing your point. All of this generation, Bethesda games have had to-scale towns that allow you to explore every room of every building, all set in a fully traversable world that is at least as large as the combined explorable areas in Xenoblade. All in HD. It's not like magic is required to make HD towns.

There's also the fact that Skyrim was built on a very old engine that they have been tooling with for a decade or more, specifically for the purpose of making a giant game like Skyrim, and it was showing the signs. This game doesn't. That's why I'm amazed. It does have some of the trademarks of Xenoblade Chronicles though (Especially the background mountains look, and the feel of scale.), so it seems like they have retooled the engine they made Xenoblade in.

However, my overall point is that, if it's a single player game, I really doubt that it's going to be as huge as the trailer suggests.

duckroll

Yes, exactly. Skyrim is an oddity compared to other games, even with all the procedural content. It's on another level in terms of content and scope. And this game seems to be bigger, and not made by Bethesda.

How can you remotely begin to assume from a 1 minute trailer which is mostly filled with combat footage, that it is on another level of content and scope compared to Skyrim, and bigger than Skyrim? That doesn't make much sense at all.

Here's why your logic seems really strange:

- A developer makes Xenoblade on the Wii
- The same developer announces they're working on a WiiU title
- Most people expect a follow up to Xenoblade except in HD
- The developer finally reveals the game, and it looks pretty much exactly like Xenoblade except in HD

- You mention all the elements which make it look exactly like Xenoblade, and conclude it is a MMORPG

See how strange it is? Wouldn't the more logical conclusion be that the developer which made a game which was well received would make something similar next?

Jac_Solar

How can you remotely begin to assume from a 1 minute trailer which is mostly filled with combat footage, that it is on another level of content and scope compared to Skyrim, and bigger than Skyrim? That doesn't make much sense at all.

Here's why your logic seems really strange:

- A developer makes Xenoblade on the Wii
- The same developer announces they're working on a WiiU title
- Most people expect a follow up to Xenoblade except in HD
- The developer finally reveals the game, and it looks pretty much exactly like Xenoblade except in HD

- You mention all the elements which make it look exactly like Xenoblade, and conclude it is a MMORPG

See how strange it is? Wouldn't the more logical conclusion be that the developer which made a game which was well received would make something similar next?

I haven't concluded anything, I've been saying that, basically, it seems almost too incredible to be a single player game. And it might not be as huge as the trailer makes it out to be if it is, indeed, a single player game. And I was saying Skyrim is on another level in terms of content and scope than any other game so far, but that this game seems to have a larger scope and scale. Not content.

The scale (Of the landscape/world.) is far larger than Skyrm. The inclusion of a flying vehicle implies that the world is very large, and/or even has different elevations with content. The size of the monsters also implies a huge world.

Not sure why you would argue with my impression that it seems too big for a single player game, though. It was more of a compliment to the developers than anything.

demidar

I haven't concluded anything, I've been saying that, basically, it seems almost too incredible to be a single player game. And it might not be as huge as the trailer makes it out to be if it is, indeed, a single player game. And I was saying Skyrim is on another level in terms of content and scope than any other game so far, but that this game seems to have a larger scope and scale. Not content.

The scale (Of the landscape/world.) is far larger than Skyrm. The inclusion of a flying vehicle implies that the world is very large, and/or even has different elevations with content. The size of the monsters also implies a huge world.

Not sure why you would argue with my impression that it seems too big for a single player game, though. It was more of a compliment to the developers than anything.

While the world volume may be bigger, the games doesn't have "complex" NPC AI or the ability to pick up almost everything so development cost is greatly diminished since items don't need to be hand-placed or the world and towns filled with AI with dialogue trees.

Exentryk

I haven't concluded anything

And I was saying Skyrim is on another level in terms of content and scope than any other game so far, but that this game seems to have a larger scope and scale. Not content.

The scale (Of the landscape/world.) is far larger than Skyrm.

The inclusion of a flying vehicle implies that the world is very large, and/or even has different elevations with content.

The size of the monsters also implies a huge world.

Yup, you didn't conclude anything.

Did you play Xenoblade?

Regardless of what many thinks of MonolithSoft, no one can deny that their First HD RPG attempt looks jaw dropping so kudos to them.

It's weird - FFXII was my favourite game in the series (though I'll always have a soft spot for IV, and VII blew me away as much as any game ever, and IX was great, and I was such a classic, and.. I digress)...but I haven't played a single Square game this gen, unless you want to count Deus Ex. Something bad happened to them when they entered HD generation. I'm sure I'll eventually give FFXIII a shot in spite of all the bad things I've heard about it. It just reminds me of FFX, and that was easily my least favourite.

On the other hand, I'm ready for X day one.

CorvoSol

It's weird - FFXII was my favourite game in the series (though I'll always have a soft spot for IV, and VII blew me away as much as any game ever, and IX was great, and I was such a classic, and.. I digress)...but I haven't played a single Square game this gen, unless you want to count Deus Ex. Something bad happened to them when they entered HD generation. I'm sure I'll eventually give FFXIII a shot in spite of all the bad things I've heard about it. It just reminds me of FFX, and that was easily my least favourite.

On the other hand, I'm ready for X day one.

Hand Held Square is where it is at, bro. Type-0, Four Heroes of Light, TWEWY, DQ9, all good, solid RPG experiences, not to mention KHBBS, and to a lesser extent DDD.

Top Bottom