• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom: "there is a possibility" of Resident Evil series reboot [Masachika Kawata]

Malvingt2

One day in the future, Capcom’s legendary Resident Evil series could see a reboot.

Resident Evil: Revelations producer Masachika Kawata commented on the possibility of changes following Resident Evil 6′s mixed reception, and specifically commented on the suggestion of a more open-world approach in a Eurogamer interview:

“If we did [go with an open-world], we would want to preserve what Resident Evil is and what makes it appealing to fans, while also making it accessible to new players. It would almost entail having a slight reboot to get the series into a place where it would work with open-world gameplay. That’s just a personal opinion. A lot of decisions would have to be taken before something like that is done to the series, but it is something that… There is a possibility.”

Capcom may look more towards Revelations as a point of inspiration for the next Resident Evil. Kawata “can see us focusing even more on the horror aspect and fear in the series, and see us making something scarier than we have already.”

“Once we see Revelations released on consoles, we’ll be looking very carefully at how the title is received and what feedback we get. I think we’ll get a lot of input from the fanbase and the media on what it means for Resident Evil, and what it could mean for the future of the series. We’ll definitely be looking at that as a signpost for where we need to be going next. Moving forward I can see us focusing even more on the horror aspect and fear in the series, and see us making something scarier than we have already.”

Any changes made to Resident Evil going forward won’t be a direct response to “6″, according to Kawata:

“We don’t want to respond directly to, for example, the reaction to Resident Evil 6, [rather than] taking a chance to re-examine the series as a whole within ourselves, within the company, and decide where we want to take it from there. If anyone is waiting for an open-world Resident Evil, I think it will certainly be quite a while. So in the meantime, I recommend giving Revelations a try.”

Resident Evil: Revelations was initially a 3DS exclusive. The game, which originally launched last year, was a moderate success, though Kawata said Capcom would have liked to sell “a little more”.

“Going by the 3DS market at the time we released the game, it was definitely a success and we’re certainly hoping we can repeat that success with the home console version. Given the large development costs we had on the 3DS version, we would have liked to have even a little more sales than we did in the end. But that doesn’t mean we saw it as a failure by any means.”

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...-a-possibility-of-resident-evil-series-reboot

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
...RE:Revelations a moderate success? Good to hear in the end. XD

Malvingt2

The Last of Us is what I imagine a Resident Evil reboot would look like.

oh-hell-no.gif

I hope not lol

73V3N

Banned
“Going by the 3DS market at the time we released the game, it was definitely a success and we’re certainly hoping we can repeat that success with the home console version. Given the large development costs we had on the 3DS version, we would have liked to have even a little more sales than we did in the end. But that doesn’t mean we saw it as a failure by any means.”

:O
but people on gaf were saying it failed.

Azuardo

A Resi reboot was brought up a few years ago, I think after RE5 was released. They mentioned how it would take 6-8 years for RE6 to arrive. Well, it didn't. But I distinctly remember them also contemplating the need for a reboot at that time, too. I was very surprised when RE6 arrived when it did, and as a continuation from RE5.

But now I think is a good time for a reboot.

Sylver

Banned
I they're thinking in a sandbox Resident Evil, this will be even worse than 6.

Hell, just use REmake and Zero formula.

“If we did [go with an open-world], we would want to preserve what Resident Evil is and what makes it appealing to fans, while also making it accessible to new players. It would almost entail having a slight reboot to get the series into a place where it would work with open-world gameplay

This actually sounds exactly what I want them to do. Having an open world RE, IMO, is more along the lines of having large, interconnected environments like the mansion or police station. Take that, implement the new gameplay direction, have a decent story, have great atmosphere and music. Done.

Pooya

the gameplay sure needs a reboot as they ran the RE4 model to the ground now.
but I'd rather them keep the characters :\ story of these games have hardly anything to do with each other anyway, they can do whatever they want and it will still work.

ezekial45

Banned
Glad to see Revelations was a success in the long run. That game was best RE title in years. It did a wonderful job of mixing the classic horor and design with the modern action.

If they were to do an open world RE game, I hope they take the Dark Souls approach and go with a single large interconnected world.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
here's my idea for a reboot

keep nothing, not even the name, and come up with a new survival horror / horror action series

Neff

RE doesn't need a story reboot. Part of the appeal is that the storyline is rarely tied up, getting denser and crazier as a result.

The gameplay reboots of 4 and 6 worked well. I'll embrace gameplay changes so long as they fit the RE ethos.

Also Revelations, while an excellent game, wasn't the merciful RE renaissance many consider it to be. It wasn't even as good as 5 or 6, imo.

kunonabi

I could go for an open world game as long it edges closer to Outbreak. I'm all for a reboot at this point. the story are characters are such shit and it's gone so far out of reality that it's about time they take things out of crazy japanese sci-fi land and back to what it was with RE1 and RE1.5

javac

here's my idea for a reboot

keep nothing, not even the name, and come up with a new survival horror / horror action series

They have to keep the name somehow, its like a cultural icon type of thing now right? Its a pretty big brand, even bigger then the game itself if that makes any sense whatsoever.

Top Bottom