• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 controller: touchpad + share button + dualshock

komaruR

hope they improve the analog stick material or somehow redesign rims. not talking about the analog position, i like it more than a 360 design.
playing games that require a lot of analog stick movement (ie, fps) wears down the analog stick material on the cylindrical portion of the stick, which shrinks the circumference but most often its a uneven wear that chips away the front facing side of the cylinder more.
i know i can fix it by replacing the analog sticks but the problem still exist and require many more replacement sticks down the road.

the analog stick from the 360 controller never had any material wears in the cylinder compare to the ps3. the rim design perhaps??

now image i have to replace those sticks due to material wear on a ps4 touchpad controller... ;/

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Maybe they should offer 2 versions, one with the left stick switched with the d-pad one like the traditional dualshock. Everyone wins.

Limit

Shame about the same size, if true. DS3's current size is not bad but just a wee bit bigger would have been much more preferable.

I really like the dual shock; I can use both x360 and dualshock with no dramas or preference. I just hope that they make the DPAD better

I'm guessing they want you to be able to share pics+videos onto twitter+facebook but I read that and I'm like I'm unfriending YOU+YOU+YOU for spoilering my games when these pics show up on my facebook wall. Twitter you can get away with as pics don't show up.

I'm assuming it will have FB+TWITTER+Youtube integration?

Jarmel

Banned
I was fucking right!!!!!

quKQ9.jpg

I certainly hope it's the one on the left.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Huh, why not a screen, to save a penny? A touchscreen can do anything a touchpad can (location context swipes, presses, cursor control, etc), a touchpad can't do everything a touchscreen can (you can't visually separate it into precise locations to use for as multiple hotkeys in an MMORPG, a virtual keyboard, direct interaction with screen elements, etc). Or is it on its back?

So if it's an unlabeled touchpad and not a touchscreen, how will we be able to tell where the start/select button functionality is?

And if it's *labeled,* what's the advantage that it holds over buttons?

I'd rather have buttons, but barring that, I'd rather have a touchscreen than a blank touchpad.

On the Vita, you can place the "virtual buttons" on certain segments of the rear touchpad. Like for classic PS1 games, I can place the L2/R2 and L3/R3 buttons on certain parts of the rear touchpad.

Yes, it's as terrible as it sounds. But this one probably won't be as terrible, even if it'll still piss me off.

Dragun619

Share button sounds good. Always thought they should enable in-game screenshots for every game so we can show off the games. Sorta meh at the vita rear touch screen on the the controller tho. As long we can use our og dualshock 3 then it's cool with me.

I find the "share" button to be one of the lamest ideas I've heard in years. That could EASILY have been done through the PS button instead of clogging the controller with another button.

Also, guys--TouchPAD, not TouchSCREEN. Huge difference.

I wanted another button with actual in-game functionality. Surely that would give developers much needed space, as some games seem to poorly struggle juggling a limited number of buttons.

I want a bigger controller if they are going to add this touchpad. Bigger handles, more space, keep the old design, but please keep the Start and Select on their somewhere.

I dont know how we're going to use the touchpad for all of that, especially if they want to use the touchpad for games too (or do you think it will all be for OS functionality?)

If they aren't making the same leap WiiU is, I question how important touchpad will be for the games, especially if you have to remove your thumbs off the main controls.

A backpad sounds like it makes more sense, but do VITA players like the backpad? Or is it awkward?

krae_man

The start and select buttons don't necessarily need to be replaced. The $50 keypad attachment had a touch screen over top of the entire keypad.

Mmh,why not a screen, to save a penny? A touchscreen could do anything the touchpad could do (location context swipes, presses, etc), the touchpad can't do everything a touchscreen could (you can't visually separate it into precise locations to use for example as multiple hotkeys in an MMORPG or a keyboard function etc). Or is it on the back cos it's so great on Vita?
I'm not sure about the viability of the touchpad, but I think a small touch screen would be a waste of resources.

Duffyside

Banned
Awesome News Guys!

Uncharted 4 will now also have shitty coal rubbings at launch!

Dammit, they're going to force touch bullshit into every game because of this. Dammit. DAMMIT.

MYE

I wanted another button with actual in-game functionality. Surely that would give developers much needed space, as some games seem to poorly struggle juggling a limited number of buttons.

I want a bigger controller if they are going to add this touchpad. Bigger handles, more space, keep the old design, but please keep the Start and Select on their somewhere.

I dont know how we're going to use the touchpad for all of that, especially if they want to use the touchpad for games too (or do you think it will all be for OS functionality?)

You want more "gameplay" buttons? Christ

whats up with people wanting a wiiU controller? If the touchscreen is small (and not inflating the size of the controller); what's the point? the touch pad from the sounds of it; won't be use for more - its to control the 3 buttons it replaces?

I honestly can't see why anyone would prefer a touchpad to a touchscreen.

cost/function

Awesome News Guys!

Uncharted 4 will now also have shitty coal rubbings at launch!

Dammit, they're going to force touch bullshit into every game because of this. Dammit. DAMMIT.
Only at the beginning of the gen and everyone will drop it and stick with traditional.

apana

Is a screen as sensitive as a pad? Can it be used as a mouse? A screen that small wouldn't add much value anyways whereas you can still work with a smaller touchpad without the functionality being too diminished.

Pagusas

Elden Member
HlevNSB.jpg
The touch area on the left one

+

minus the heat/cold fancy stuff.

Plllleeeeeeeessee no. just no, I hope they abandoned the sticks being at the same level, the dpad should NOT be where it is at, it should be like the 360 controller. Then I'll be happy. The dual sticks were always just bolted on to the PSone's first dual stick controller, and they've kept that way for 3 gens now. Enough, move it and let us be rid of that stupid design.

I really do hate the dual shock, hate hate hate it. its to small for my hands, I always feel cramped holidng it, and its gotten so bad that I'll buy all multiplatform games on the 360 unless there is a really good reason to buy them on the ps3.

I'm praying sony changes it up, especially if the ps4 is substancatially more powerful.

This is exactly what I want and would love:
quKQ9.jpg

The touchpad sounds like a stupid ass addition if you ask me. That rear touch is worthless on the Vita, and it's gonna be pretty much the same on the PS4.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Also, fuck, with Nintendo not exactly abandoning but still downplaying the motion plus type stuff I was hoping Sony would carry the torch but I guess they're also relegating it into an extra accessory and not a primary controller despite the fact a couple of redesigned moves could do everything a traditional controller can but also allow so much goodness on top of it. Fuck fuck fuck.

artist

Banned
Plllleeeeeeeessee no. just no, I hope they abandoned the sticks being at the same level, the dpad should NOT be where it is at, it should be like the 360 controller. Then I'll be happy. The dual sticks were always just bolted on to the PSone's first dual stick controller, and they've kept that way for 3 gens now. Enough, move it and let us be rid of that stupid design.

I really do hate the dual shock, hate hate hate it. its to small for my hands, I always feel cramped holidng it, and its gotten so bad that I'll buy all multiplatform games on the 360 unless there is a really good reason to buy them on the ps3.

I'm praying sony changes it up, especially if the ps4 is substancatially more powerful.
Obviously we disagree. I guess the only point we can agree on is that that DS has it's share of admirers (best controller evah) and critics (hate this shit).

(I hate the 360 controller)

VariantX

Some people don't want to look down at a second screen and would prefer to keep their focus on the TV. I personally enjoy using dual screen gaming but some people find it distracting and keeps them from being totally immersed in it. Touch Pad can also pave the way for UI's not having to be designed around a d-pad and can be more PC like too.

Top Bottom