• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 controller: touchpad + share button + dualshock

Also, fuck, with Nintendo not exactly abandoning but still downplaying the motion plus type stuff I was hoping Sony would carry the torch but I guess they're also relegating it into an extra accessory and not a primary method. Fuck fuck fuck.

But all that stuff is built into the gamepad (and even launch games support the motion+)

This sounds pretty lame, 19 years with the same controller (basically), I wonder if they're ever going to try something with a bit more changes (most of these things won't get used after two years anyway).

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
ugh i hate it. i dont want another 7 years of the same controller. im sure theyll have a move alternative down the road but everyone knows the controller that a console ships with will forever be the primary

The_Monk

Plllleeeeeeeessee no. just no, I hope they abandoned the sticks being at the same level, the dpad should NOT be where it is at, it should be like the 360 controller. Then I'll be happy. The dual sticks were always just bolted on to the PSone's first dual stick controller, and they've kept that way for 3 gens now. Enough, move it and let us be rid of that stupid design.

I really do hate the dual shock, hate hate hate it. its to small for my hands, I always feel cramped holidng it, and its gotten so bad that I'll buy all multiplatform games on the 360 unless there is a really good reason to buy them on the ps3.

I'm praying sony changes it up, especially if the ps4 is substancatially more powerful

mEnGmfil.gif

It's perfect the way it is, go climb a mountain with those gigantic hands!

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
Okay, the share button is pretty cool.

I love the saved films in Halo, will be awesome to have a smaller version of that system that works with every game you play.

BadWolf

I'd pay the extra 100 if it ment we'd get rid of GUI clutter on screen and move it to the controller.

Yeah I'm sure adding an extra $100 to the PS4's price tag will do wonders for its sales.

If WiiU is anything to go by, a second screen on a controller isn't a big deal for consoles.

Is a screen as sensitive as a pad? Can it be used as a mouse? A screen that small wouldn't add much value anyways whereas you can still work with a smaller touchpad without the functionality being too diminished.
If the touchpad contains the start and select buttons, then it can't be freely used either.

artist

Banned
Adding a touch pad would also make web browsing so much easier. They could also possibly drop XMB, not that I care.

I'm a bit confused by the supposed replacement of those 3 buttons, I appreciate the pad could 'simulate' all of them but doesn't that limit the options for the pad to be used in a more general sense? Perhaps one or more buttons will be repositioned somewhere else.
Maybe Share replaces the PS button, but what would you do to pause?

Some people don't want to look down at a second screen and would prefer to keep their focus on the TV. I personally enjoy using dual screen gaming but some people find it distracting and keeps them from being totally immersed in it. Touch Pad can also pave the way for UI's not having to be designed around a d-pad and can be more PC like too.

Yeah if they going to have to put something touch on the controller, something you don't need to look at is the best case scenario.

GlamFM

Banned
Bummer. I was hoping for a complete redesign. Dual shock in size and shape is pretty much unusable for me.

NeoUltima

Share button sounds like an idea marketing came up with. It is a great way to spread word of mouth.

Anyway...hope this thing has better triggers and analog sticks.

KAL2006

Banned
whats up with people wanting a wiiU controller? If the touchscreen is small (and not inflating the size of the controller); what's the point? the touch pad from the sounds of it; won't be use for more - its to control the 3 buttons it replaces?

cost/function

The point is a touchpad probably costs barely anything, a touchscreen would cost much more and would be a battery drainer.

I hope they just use the same size dpad and buttons as the Vita to give the touch pad enough space. Dat Vita dpad should be used for every PlayStation.

Duffyside

Banned
This is gonna be the Vita all over again, isn't it? Wow us with awesome feature after awesome feature (more powerful, share button, etc), and then fuck it all up with some stupid touch gimmick that you're going to force into every damn game. Sonofabitch.

params7

Banned
I'm loving the share feature. Its one of the things I hated about consoles (we couldn't participate in screenshot threads).

15 mins of gameplay recording without penalty sounds amazing too, but 15 mins is too low if they really want to implement this feature, its pretty much useless. Something is better than nothing though but I hope in the future they are somehow able to limit the recording to the hard drive space available.

Well this news is dissapointing.

Same size is lame. Really wanted a fresh take on the design and A touch panel with no screen is useless for UI navigation and gameplay

I'm generally confused with the hate for the dualshock. People say that it's not meant for "big hands" but I've got some pretty big hands and it's just as comfortable if not more so than the 360 controller.

Duxxy3

If the touchpad contains the start and select buttons, then it can't be freely used either.

They could implement gestures to replace the buttons. Swipe from the left to use select, swipe from the bottom to use the playstation button, swipe from the right to pause.

The rear touch is the pretty much the worst thing about the Vita, but even then it's not completely awful unless developers make it awful (read: Uncharted: Gimmick Abyss).

A small touchscreen is an even worse idea as it leads to "The Danger of Cool Things", were you think you have this awesome idea to use the touchscreen but it's actually terrible in practice.

bakedpony

If the touchpad is good enough to be used with our thumbs ala mouse, this could change the way we play FPS on consoles.

zoukka

I'm generally confused with the hate for the dualshock. People say that it's not meant for "big hands" but I've got some pretty big hands and it's just as comfortable if not more so than the 360 controller.

The grips are smaller than the xbox controller. I can see how that could cause problems to some.

Personally I've grown to like the dualshock except for the stupid triggers they added with the PS3.

TheContact

Wow this sound awesome! I love the controllers, I just hope they don't increase the size to make room for the touch pad

DS2 is good, but I'm not keen on the DS3 even though it's the same shape. Triggers are badly designed and I think the centre of mass is too far forward.

This is gonna be the Vita all over again, isn't it? Wow us with awesome feature after awesome feature (more powerful, share button, etc), and then fuck it all up with some stupid touch gimmick that you're going to force into every damn game. Sonofabitch.
That's spot on. Touch can be OK for UI navigating and point and click games but it's overall terrible.
I blame the DS. It was a great console despite touch not thanks to it.

I hope designers don't force it on us in games. The only things worse than regular QTEs are touch or waggle QTEs.

A touchpad? That's certainly a half-step at aping the Wii U Gamepad, but is it even worth it? It could mimic mouse movement but it sounds like the area would be pretty small. And they really, really should NOT let it replace the Start/Select buttons.

I dunno, it's good that Sony's adding in more functionality, I just don't think they went deep enough (assuming this is true).

surly

Banned
They're going to ship the PS4 with yet another controller where your thumbs fall on the D-pad and face buttons naturally? I hope not.

If the touchpad is good enough to be used with our thumbs ala mouse, this could change the way we play FPS on consoles.

Would prefer gyro controls for extra precision. They were used REALLY well in REvelations. Stick for normal aiming, gyro for precision.

That's spot on. Touch can be OK for UI navigating and point and click games but it's overall terrible.
I blame the DS. It was a great console despite touch not thanks to it.

I hope designers don't force it on us in games. The only things worse than regular QTEs are touch or waggle QTEs.

You're crazy if you don't think touch ADDED to the DS

The grips are smaller than the xbox controller. I can see how that could cause problems to some.

Personally I've grown to like the dualshock except for the stupid triggers they added with the PS3.

Yeah, the triggers are a huge problem. One that hopefully gets fixed with the ds4.

touchpad, not touch screen? The hell?

You'd think they'd have learned something from the Vita.

I think you'll find that they DID.

and I think it won't be a big touchpad too. It'll probably be a tiny one where you swipe to control the three functions they're replacing. And that's it.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
So if it's an unlabeled touchpad and not a touchscreen, how will we be able to tell where the start/select button functionality is?

And if it's *labeled,* what's the advantage that it holds over buttons?

I'd rather have buttons, but barring that, I'd rather have a touchscreen than a blank touchpad.
Kotaku said the touchpad clicks in.

"British site CVG speculated last week that, because they'd heard the PS4's controller was "trying to emulate the same user interface philosophies as the PS Vita", that meant it would feature a touch screen. Instead, the Orbis' controller features a capacitive touch pad, like you find on the back of a Vita (presumably it's also on the back of the PS4's controller), that can recognise two-point multi-touch. The entire pad can also be "clicked" for an additional input button."

They can have start/select depending on where you click the touchpad.

Would prefer gyro controls for extra precision. They were used REALLY well in REvelations. Stick for normal aiming, gyro for precision.

The more options the better. Golden Abyss was really nice to play because of the gyro aim, shame they're only doing it for the sniper weapons in Killzone Merc. But I would love to try it using a trackpad, if it's big enough for wide aiming.

Top Bottom