• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

Anyone interested in a Super Famicom Dragon Quest VI?
HTwGjbf.jpg

Trying to make some room in my collection. Also have some SF Street Fighter Carts and some Dragon Ball Z carts that I ended up getting a few extras of each I'd get rid of. Not sure if anyone here is big on Japanese games. Figure'd I'd post it in this thread.

i may be interested in the street fighter stuff. check your pm!

hypotc

Okay, lol, I saw this and thought as a joke I'd offer $15. I mean I don't have the game and $15 isn't overpaying by that much and I also thought there'd be no way they'd accept. Guess what, my offer was accepted. Why even list it at that price, holy shit.

Holy shit, that is indeed hilarious! Enjoy your new copy of Star Fox though, one of my favorites. :)

Okay, lol, I saw this and thought as a joke I'd offer $15. I mean I don't have the game and $15 isn't overpaying by that much and I also thought there'd be no way they'd accept. Guess what, my offer was accepted. Why even list it at that price, holy shit.

lmao

good game, but u overpaid tho

Jamix012

lmao

good game, but u overpaid tho

Yeah I know, but only by like $5, so I'm not mourning too much. Maybe that was the plan all along, to get someone to jokingly offer a little above market price as a joke. Still...I'm excited to play my premium copy of Starfox.

In unrelated thoughts, I was wondering what you could get out of the SNES today if you created a modern chip to put inside a cart.

noquarter

It also ' legitimizes' the auction a little bit, since now it shows as one has sold at a' best offer' and someone with more dollars than sense might assume that is an acceptable price.

Either way, enjoy the game. Really is a fun shooter and is still fun to play, even if it doesn't look that good.

It also ' legitimizes' the auction a little bit, since now it shows as one has sold at a' best offer' and someone with more dollars than sense might assume that is an acceptable price.

Either way, enjoy the game. Really is a fun shooter and is still fun to play, even if it doesn't look that good.

let the first one go at a small profit to sell the second one at a large profit... I like the strategy.

Yeah I know, but only by like $5, so I'm not mourning too much. Maybe that was the plan all along, to get someone to jokingly offer a little above market price as a joke. Still...I'm excited to play my premium copy of Starfox.

Not sure about a US copy but I bought a JPN Star Fox copy for 100 yen a few months ago. So arguably you overpayed by ~1500% ;)

Timu

Ghost Sweeper Mikami is a pretty good(that should get talked more about) but really weird game, one of the weirdest I played in a while, lol:
ibqdFhJUZyUfeh.PNG
iBdhJpxGe0XGR.PNG
ibpddduUFSK1Tn.PNG
ifuB1GBVuMh5W.PNG
ibidEBwUQLM6zM.PNG
iiERdfBRcJUZ9.PNG
ibm1ivmzYHc4Mq.PNG
iQaZ7Po9SSTgy.PNG

Riding on flying cats, killing one eyed slime creatures, decapitating mutant ghosts, fighting a clown on a giant rat, fighting playboy bunny girls and assaulting your perverted friend who grabs your ass at random, WTF kind of game is this? And that's just the tip of the iceberg, lol. I should watch the anime to understand all this because the in game cutscenes are in Japanese obviously:
ibofhpPad5S2t8.PNG

But everything else from the menu to the credits are in English. I'm glad I picked this up since it's perfectly playable as it's a platformer with shoot em up sections.

brainpann

I'd love to know about the cart slot mod. Is there a guide somewhere?

No guide- I just took some emory boards and filed down the slot as evenly as possible. Then I took some ultra fine sand paper and a little sanding cream from an old scratch repair kit and smoothed out the surface around the slot. I think a magic eraser might have worked too. The slot flap was a little trickier but basically just sanded down an old flap from a broken snes.

Teknoman

Ghost Sweeper Mikami is a pretty good(that should get talked more about) but really weird game, one of the weirdest I played in a while, lol:
ibqdFhJUZyUfeh.PNG
iBdhJpxGe0XGR.PNG
ibpddduUFSK1Tn.PNG
ifuB1GBVuMh5W.PNG
ibidEBwUQLM6zM.PNG
iiERdfBRcJUZ9.PNG
ibm1ivmzYHc4Mq.PNG
iQaZ7Po9SSTgy.PNG

Riding on flying cats, killing one eyed slime creatures, decapitating mutant ghosts, fighting a clown on a giant rat, fighting playboy bunny girls and assaulting your perverted friend who grabs your ass at random, WTF kind of game is this? And that's just the tip of the iceberg, lol. I should watch the anime to understand all this because the in game cutscenes are in Japanese obviously:
ibofhpPad5S2t8.PNG

But everything else from the menu to the credits are in English. I'm glad I picked this up since it's perfectly playable as it's a platformer with shoot em up sections.

Keep em coming. Ever since I heard about stuff like Xandra, SD The Great Battle series, Go Go Ackman, and now this, i've wanted to know more about really unique action/platformers that never made it over, and arent that well known.

Timu

Keep em coming. Ever since I heard about stuff like Xandra, SD The Great Battle series, Go Go Ackman, and now this, i've wanted to know more about really unique action/platformers that never made it over, and arent that well known.
Hmm, I may try some of those someday.

Ban Puncher

Cotton 100% and Jaki Crush arrived today from Japan.

Devil's Crush is still my favourite of the pinball series (Devil Crash MD on Mega Drive by Technosoft in particular) but Jaki ain't too bad to play if a little unfair at times. The tilt has infinite use and you'll be hammering on it constantly to make sure your ball doesn't get an unlucky run from the plunger straight down the plug hole.

Mercutio

No guide- I just took some emory boards and filed down the slot as evenly as possible. Then I took some ultra fine sand paper and a little sanding cream from an old scratch repair kit and smoothed out the surface around the slot. I think a magic eraser might have worked too. The slot flap was a little trickier but basically just sanded down an old flap from a broken snes.

Oho! I took a look at other similar mods people have done... yours is so clean and well cut that I didn't even realize you'd modded the top panel!

Devil's Crush is still my favourite of the pinball series (Devil Crash MD on Mega Drive by Technosoft in particular) but Jaki ain't too bad to play if a little unfair at times. The tilt has infinite use and you'll be hammering on it constantly to make sure your ball doesn't get an unlucky run from the plunger straight down the plug hole.

I found Jaki to be the weakest of the Naxat Pinball trilogy tbh.

Mercutio

I really like Cotton 100%. It was the first SFC cart I picked up after filing down the tabs in my system, and I revisit it most often.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
This weekend I bought a copy of Magical Quest Starring Mickey Mouse, cib, and proceeded to beat the game right away. What was difficult was that there are shops where you can expand your life meter, that I never found (thank god for looking at Nintendo Power afterwards)... so I beat the whole game on 4 hearts, which made things much harder.

Also been playing some Buster Busts Loose, and man that game is annoying. The checkpointing is terrible, I haven't been able to beat stage 2 yet due to it.

Finally, at a retro store near my house I saw some game called Xardion, that looked interesting but I haven't been able to find anything about... had a mech on the cover and that's all I know. Anyone play it? Is it worth $90 cib (perfect condition)?

Finally, at a retro store near my house I saw some game called Xardion, that looked interesting but I haven't been able to find anything about... had a mech on the cover and that's all I know. Anyone play it? Is it worth $90 cib (perfect condition)?

Not when you can get it for half that on ebay, lol

Also been playing some Buster Busts Loose, and man that game is annoying. The checkpointing is terrible, I haven't been able to beat stage 2 yet due to it.
Is it the train chase autoscrolling segment? That's where I get caught up, too. Really don't like that segment...

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Not when you can get it for half that on ebay, lol

Yeah, his shop is in a really pricey area (with a really high rent) so he upcharges like hell.

Is it the train chase autoscrolling segment? That's where I get caught up, too. Really don't like that segment...

Yup, really annoying... but what's even worse is when I finally did the segment (those jumps at the end being the biggest pains to make), there was no checkpoint and I got killed by a regular enemy.

HaL64

Thought Id share my modded SNES/SFC. Its a US 1-chip with video amp mod fitted inside a Super Famicom Shell.

I finished the cart slot mod today. Surprisingly it didnt take too long.

I'd love to see closer pics of the slot. And how you made that looks so good. What was the process?

hypotc

Here's my new 50/60hz + region switch modded PAL SNES! The switches are on the back. The guy also clear coated the console after modifying the cartridge slot. Looks great!

Here are two pics, closeups can be found HERE

R2xXifX.jpg

HGek3Cz.jpg

RyType

Here's my new 50/60hz + region switch modded PAL SNES! The switches are on the back. The guy also clear coated the console after modifying the cartridge slot. Looks great!

R2xXifX.jpg

HGek3Cz.jpg

Nice! Where did you get that done?? I'm thinking of doing the same to mine...

hypotc

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Retromodsltd/224769214207517

I bought a new console from him though, didn't send mine in, as I'm not from the UK. :)

Can't believe how much better the picture looks at 480i 60hz than 576i 50hz with my RGB Scart cable. 576i didn't have smooth colors, and it had that checkerboard effect. Now it's all neato. Also, can't go back to the slow 50hz gameplay anymore.

Now I just need some NTSC carts.

Ban Puncher

I found Jaki to be the weakest of the Naxat Pinball trilogy tbh.

It looks terrific and the music is baller though.

I really like Cotton 100%. It was the first SFC cart I picked up after filing down the tabs in my system, and I revisit it most often.

I have every other Cotton game but for some reason never got around to picking up the Super Famicom one. It's a pretty good cute 'em up.

http://i.imgur.com/R2xXifX.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/HGek3Cz.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

That looks nice as fuck. Got a picture of the switches? Been wanting to get a duel switch system for years to be able to play my physical copy of Terranigma on.

brainpann

Cotton 100% is one of my favorite games and maybe even my favorite Cotton. Been wanting to buy Jaki Crush because I love Devils Crush and Alien Crush. I heard its not as good though but Id still like to have it in my collection.

I'd love to see closer pics of the slot. And how you made that looks so good. What was the process?

Ill post a top down shot later when I get home. If I have time, Ill try to do a little write up or yourtube vid or something with the details. It really is very simple and I outlined the basic method above in another post.

Peagles

I wonder if anyone can help me solve this one.

I've got a PAL SNES which had a tiny wire attached to the lockout chip. I removed it (stupid I know, and I don't remember which points it was connecting either) and now it won't boot any games. The only thing I can get to boot is the Everdrive menu, but it still won't boot any games from there. I figure the lockout chip is having a tantrum and that's why it won't let anything run (I've tried all regions too) but what can I do to it, any ideas?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can shed some light on this :)

Rich!

I've got a PAL SNES which had a tiny wire attached to the lockout chip. I removed it (stupid I know, and I don't remember which points it was connecting either) and now it won't boot any games. The only thing I can get to boot is the Everdrive menu, but it still won't boot any games from there. I figure the lockout chip is having a tantrum and that's why it won't let anything run (I've tried all regions too) but what can I do to it, any ideas?

Yeah youre gonna have to rewire it up. Have a look at http://www.mmmonkey.co.uk for the diagram you need

Peagles

Yeah youre gonna have to rewire it up. Have a look at http://www.mmmonkey.co.uk for the diagram you need

Cheers. I'm not really sure what to wire though, it all looks intact! No pins lifted or amiss. I removed the little wire cos I thought it had been added as a mod or something.

Maybe I'll just put in a Super CIC mod. Good excuse to learn how to do it to be honest, I have all the stuff I'm just not sure which way to put the chip in the programmer, lol.

D.Lo

So someone had maybe previously modded it?

Might as well try clipping the leg that disables the chip, easily reversible anyway.

Peagles

So someone had maybe previously modded it?

Might as well try clipping the leg that disables the chip, easily reversible anyway.

Maybe. Three chips including the CIC were covered with big blobs of rubber glue. I'm thinking maybe it's just a bad CIC, maybe it was repaired with the wire. It certainly didn't act modded when it was working, it wouldn't play imports or anything. It worked fine before I took the wire off. Maybe I'll just take it off and replace it with the Super CIC.

Samuray

Any ideas where I could find boxed SNES games (except for eBay)?

I mainly collect US games which is no easy task seeing as how I live in Europe, and boxed games rarely pop up for sale. I made a post in Buy/Sell/Trade here once but didn't get any replies, and I did check out NintendoAge, but they have a strange "for offer" attitude that makes me not want to contact some sellers in the first place. Heh, some even write "don't wanna really sell // these games are very valuable so expect your offer to be shot down quickly" and things like that....not every inviting. :)

Craigslist is not an option since I'm not in the US, and flea markets/ garage sales over here have pretty much dried up in terms of 16-bit games. Would be PAL anyways.

So, yeah....any other places to look for SNES games I should know about?

Top Bottom