• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

Fox Mulder

I have given up in any hope in anything Earthbound related in the US. I don't understand how Nintendo can dump money into terrible games IE Metroid Other M, Wii Music, etc. and ignore anything Mother related to come over here. It must be something really hard to do programming wise to re edit the copyrighted materials *rolls eyes* It's like the keep giving the Mother fans of the world outside of Japan a hand job and then cutting off the hand right as everyone is about to orgasm. Pshhh. Maybe I am just grumpy that I had to sell my copy with big box and manual back in 2006
:(

EDIT: Also started playing Secret of Mana. Pretty damn good besides my other two characters always dying. The first boss was also pretty hard.

Sega just turned Spider-Man pink in the digital release of revenge of shinobi to avoid copyright stuff, even though he acts the exact same way. How hard can it be for Nintendo to alter some in game text and change some notes of the music to get Earthbound out.

It's odd how it gets ignored forever while Nintendo brought something like Sin and Punishment to the VC and even made a sequel on the Wii.

I just assume that since Earthbound 1 & 3 never came out in the US, they assume we don't give a fuck about the series, despite people paying $200 for copies of the SNES one on ebay all fucking day.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
I just assume that since Earthbound 1 & 3 never came out in the US, they assume we don't give a fuck about the series, despite people paying $200 for copies of the SNES one on ebay all fucking day.
I sorta understand Mother 1 & 3 not coming out here, since they were both released at the very tail end of their consoles' lifespan. Hell, so was Earthbound. I remember passing up a huge stack of them for $5 at a Best Buy to buy some terrible PSX game. Sigh.

I don't have any inside knowledge or anything, but I have a good feeling we will get Earthbound on the Wii U VC. I know we wouldn't get it during the 30 cent sale. It seems like the perfect type of game to launch when VC officially goes live to drive people out there. NoA makes some baffling decisions, sure, but I'd be surprised if we do not get it on VC.

No way! Why should Nintendo have any reason to finally throw it up on the Virtual Console now after having plenty of opportunities to do it. Why finally now? I am telling you, if it is one thing Nintendo has let people down in, its anything to do with Earthbound. They just love giving it the blind eye. I rather just buy that $45 copy of Mother 3 the guy has custom made on OCD Repro and give him support(along with the folks that translated it) for making an attempt at allowing me to play it legit. For the most part lol. But what do I know? hahahah

-KRS-

Is the PAL demon's crest more rare than the US version? Or rather, is it usually more expensive on ebay? I'm eyeing one that I'm kind of thinking of bidding on... but I don't want to pay too much overprice either. It will probably go for a bit more than what the current ebay prices seem to be at though (which seem to be around $85 for a US cart?) simply because it's being sold in Sweden. Apparently someone had spent around 650 SEK for it recently which is around $100.

Edit: huh, apparently it was the seller of the currently listed one that bought it for 650 SEK. I guess he considered it an expensive rental.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
No way! Why should Nintendo have any reason to finally throw it up on the Virtual Console now after having plenty of opportunities to do it. Why finally now? I am telling you, if it is one thing Nintendo has let people down in, its anything to do with Earthbound. They just love giving it the blind eye. I rather just buy that $45 copy of Mother 3 the guy has custom made on OCD Repro and give him support(along with the folks that translated it) for making an attempt at allowing me to play it legit. For the most part lol. But what do I know? hahahah
Well, the Mother 1 & 2 release is maybe the one release I really don't understand (unless there's that rights issue). They published a crapload of RPGs in 2003, but not much in 2004. It would've filled out the schedule well that year.

Anyway, I mean, the Virtual Console release for Mother 2 on Wii never happened, so this is the first time it's hitting VC. It was planned before but scrapped. I seriously think this it the time it's most logical to have some hope. But I don't know, they are increeeedibly slow about announcing junk, and NoA has been kind of hit or miss on localizations lately (the Project Rainfall trilogy was really stupid, but they did the right thing in the end), so I understand people's skepticism.

I'm not so confident I'd sell my cartridge (though with the prices I've considered it lol), but I'd be legitimately surprised if it doesn't make it out.

Teknoman

Asked this awhile back but, anyone know anything about Nosferatu? It looks pretty cool, and of course is abit cheaper in SFC form, but is it import friendly?

Also is 16 bucks a good price for Joe and Mac 1?

So, tried some Retr0bright on one of my childhood systems. Worked pretty well. This is after a day and a half-ish of sitting in the sun:

BrrpaVz.jpg

It is just a touch darker than the bottom half, so think I'll let it sit for another afternoon tomorrow. Pretty impressed though.

I just did the simple liquid version instead of the fancy gel. Just 12 bottles of 3% hydrogen peroxide and a 1/4 tsp oxy clean.

Asked this awhile back but, anyone know anything about Nosferatu? It looks pretty cool, and of course is abit cheaper in SFC form, but is it import friendly?

Also is 16 bucks a good price for Joe and Mac 1?

No clue about Nosferatu.

Seems about right for Joe and Mac. Not high, not low.

EDIT: Actually, looks like Nosferatu would be fine to import. Looking at youtube, seems like there is a short intro and then the ending a simple "You Win!" style screen. Here's a video of the entire game: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlJ8rNjBENA I do believe the game is supposed to be shit from what I've heard, though.

Kainazzo

So, tried some Retr0bright on one of my childhood systems. Worked pretty well. This is after a day and a half-ish of sitting in the sun:

BrrpaVz.jpg

It is just a touch darker than the bottom half, so think I'll let it sit for another afternoon tomorrow. Pretty impressed though.

I just did the simple liquid version instead of the fancy gel. Just 12 bottles of 3% hydrogen peroxide and a 1/4 tsp oxy clean.

Neat! I have a few cartridge halves that I'd like to try this with, but I don't want to damage the labels. Also, I think a heard a few years ago that if your console yellowed in the first place, then it's inevitable that it'll happen again. Spraying a thin layer of acrylic is supposed to stop the process, but I'm not sure what that'd do in the long term. I also don't think I could spray a uniform, micro-thin layer; I'd gob it all over the place :p

Edit: Guess I was right. Yay memory!

inner-G

Banned
With the Wii U sales thread coupled with this thread, I was thinking about how often these fairly pricey auctions are ending, and I wondered: At this point, is there more money being spent on used Nintendo stuff in the secondhand market than new at retail?

Teknoman

BrrpaVz.jpg

No clue about Nosferatu.

Seems about right for Joe and Mac. Not high, not low.

EDIT: Actually, looks like Nosferatu would be fine to import. Looking at youtube, seems like there is a short intro and then the ending a simple "You Win!" style screen. Here's a video of the entire game: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlJ8rNjBENA I do believe the game is supposed to be shit from what I've heard, though.

I've seen conflicting opinions so far (on the NA version anyway, thanks for the heads up about the JP being import friendly). Doesnt look all that bad to me, but then again...i'm a sucker for Castlevania style settings, not to mention you fight undead bare handed.

Yep, it's a really good game. Managed to get it boxed for just under £7 last summer. Goes for £35-40+ now.

Blah. Got to the final boss and died. Gotta go through the whole final dungeon and all those boss fights again. Give it another go tomorrow. Definitely a cool game, though.

Teknoman

Kinda off topic, but anyone know any good surge protectors with lots of inputs? Combined with the RGB - Component converter i've got, plus like 6 systems and a TV... two of those cheap multi inputs just arent doing it.

Reclaimer

Kinda off topic, but anyone know any good surge protectors with lots of inputs? Combined with the RGB - Component converter i've got, plus like 6 systems and a TV... two of those cheap multi inputs just arent doing it.

Go to Amazon and search "Tripp Lite".

They make they best, IMO. Quality electronics/switches/cords, and metal cases. These things are beasts. Lots of options too.

smbu2000

Well I guess I should be fine posting this in here since I don't think there is a NES/FC thread. Anyway, finally picked up a Famicom (AV) for myself! (Along with Ducktales.)

I also picked up Hagane and DBZ2 at the same store. I wasn't planning on picking up Hagane, but it was such a good price (at least I think so) that I had to grab it. I don't know how it'll hold up against the other Ninja game I picked up as well. nice!

^Curious to hear your opinion. I don't really like Hagane, to be honest. Super Shinobi II is a much better game.

Best SNES ninja game is Ninja Warriors Again. Heck, it's the best action game on SNES.

smbu2000

^Curious to hear your opinion. I don't really like Hagane, to be honest. Super Shinobi II is a much better game.

Best SNES ninja game is Ninja Warriors Again. Heck, it's the best action game on SNES.

Well I've heard mix opinions about Hagane. Like I said earlier I didn't plan on buying the game initially. I went to that store to pick up a Famicom with a game or two (I wanted Mother 1, but it was too expensive there.) and possibly something for Mega Drive, Saturn or SFC. Super Shinobi II has been on my pick up list for awhile and they had it for a reasonable price which is why I picked it up.

Hagane has been on my maybe list, just because of the mixed opinions I've heard/read about and the price. They had the game CIB (box is in pretty good condition as well) there for just under 4,000 yen which is the cheapest I've seen it for, so I picked it up. (I had seen it at another store locally for about double that price. )

I'll have to see when I get around to it. I'm more looking forward to playing Super Shinobi II to be honest.

I've never played Ninja Warriors Again, but I've heard good things about it. I've only played the original NW arcade game, which I liked. Never tried any home versions.

Though it's just one person's opinion, this makes me feel very good about holding out on Hagane :)
He's right. I hate using terms like these, but it's overrated as hell due to its rarity. It's a pretty solid action game, mind you, but nothing extraordinary.

P.S. At what point did it become so sought after? Was it some YouTube video that did the trick? Because as late back as 2010, I can recall it didn't garner much interest (I should know, I had a copy up on Digital Press that took at least several days to sell at $15-$20... :-/).

emb

Blah. Got to the final boss and died. Gotta go through the whole final dungeon and all those boss fights again. Give it another go tomorrow. Definitely a cool game, though.

I just played it recently too.

Final boss is a jerk. After a bunch of tries I finally managed to jump over the lasers like half the time, but it seemed like a pretty small window to do successfully. I kept using the phoenix power to dodge like two lasers and hit him a few times, but I guess it'd be better to just use the air dash, get a couple hits and keep going. I feel like I mostly got lucky when I succeeded though, lol

The dungeon up to him isn't bad once you try it a few times. All the bosses have pretty easily abuse-able patterns. The water one was the only guy who gave me trouble for a while, but when you get full magic right before and after, he's a joke with the lightning spell.

I just played it recently too.

Final boss is a jerk. After a bunch of tries I finally managed to jump over the lasers like half the time, but it seemed like a pretty small window to do successfully. I kept using the phoenix power to dodge like two lasers and hit him a few times, but I guess it'd be better to just use the air dash, get a couple hits and keep going. I feel like I mostly got lucky when I succeeded though, lol

The dungeon up to him isn't bad once you try it a few times. All the bosses have pretty easily abuse-able patterns. The water one was the only guy who gave me trouble for a while, but when you get full magic right before and after, he's a joke with the lightning spell.

Yeah, I think I dodged the final boss laser like once (outside of using powers I mean). The rest of the dungeon was easy, like you said.

You can get the fish for the water boss stuck in corners I discovered, so they're super easy. Just time it so you slip into the middle while they are at the top or bottom, not the side. They'll just try coming straight up, which they can't do thanks to the bricks. Destroy one corner, go straight up or down to the next one. Then trap them on the other side and repeat.

He's right. I hate using terms like these, but it's overrated as hell due to its rarity. It's a pretty solid action game, mind you, but nothing extraordinary.

P.S. At what point did it become so sought after? Was it some YouTube video that did the trick? Because as late back as 2010, I can recall it didn't garner much interest (I should know, I had a copy up on Digital Press that took at least several days to sell at $15-$20... :-/).

Here's it's price chart. Looks like it was around 2010 when it started climbing:

P85lFAG.png

-KRS-

Well I guess I should be fine posting this in here since I don't think there is a NES/FC thread. Anyway, finally picked up a Famicom (AV) for myself! (Along with Ducktales.)[/URL]

Cool :)
With the box even! I've been thinking of getting one myself. How does the AV famicom compare picture quality-wise to an AV modded Famicom? Anyone tried?

Also like the label on the Japanese Ducktales cart with Scrooge's head sticking out of the console. And all Famicom game boxes just look great in my opinion.

And about an NES/FC thread... early in this thread I said I would make one, but lately I've become more and more depressed and have lost motivation to do things, so I don't think I'm the right guy to do it anymore. So if anyone wants to make one, go ahead. I'd probably do a terrible job with it anyway. NES/FC is my favorite console to collect for though so I hope someone makes a thread. :)

And now, please, let the SNES talk continue! :D

With the box even! I've been thinking of getting one myself. How does the AV famicom compare picture quality-wise to an AV modded Famicom? Anyone tried?

Also like the label on the Japanese Ducktales cart with Scrooge's head sticking out of the console. And all Famicom game boxes just look great in my opinion.

And about an NES/FC thread... early in this thread I said I would make one, but lately I've become more and more depressed and have lost motivation to do things, so I don't think I'm the right guy to do it anymore. So if anyone wants to make one, go ahead. I'd probably do a terrible job with it anyway. NES/FC is my favorite console to collect for though so I hope someone makes a thread. :)

And now, please, let the SNES talk continue! :D

I hope you feel better.

Krelian

Well I guess I should be fine posting this in here since I don't think there is a NES/FC thread. Anyway, finally picked up a Famicom (AV) for myself! (Along with Ducktales.)[/URL]
Nice! I've been thinking about getting an AV Famicom as well. How much did you pay for it, if you don't mind my asking? It's kind of difficult to get here in Europe. Haven't seen that many on eBay.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Yeah, Hagane didn't impress much either. A buddy of mine also picked up an SFC version recently and, while it looks nice, I didn't think it played all that well.

One game that is both awesome AND rare is Doremi Fantasy which is simply excellent and well worth playing!

Just a wonderful game from Hudson!

doremi-fantasy-milons-dokidoki-adventure-virtual-console-20080310021447447.jpg

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
You guys are starting to make me regret my Hagane purchase a bit, haha. I bought a SFC copy for ~$40 so I think that even if it sucks I can probably get back about what I spent.

It showed up yesterday in the mail with all the SFC Rockmans. Now I'm just waiting on Majyuuou, Tetris Battle Gaiden, DQ V & VI, Fire Pro Special, and Final Fight 2 in the mail.

You guys are starting to make me regret my Hagane purchase a bit, haha. I bought a SFC copy for ~$40 so I think that even if it sucks I can probably get back about what I spent.
Don't sweat it too much about Hagane; you might enjoy it more and if not, $40 is not too bad to "recover" from. It was a nice title to have when it was on the cheap (like a Plok or a Skyblazer, to mention a few titles from this thread); it's not like it's a seminal title like Earthbound or Little Samson, which are sort of worth it.

Credo

Don't worry about it. If you have fun with it and think it's worth what you paid, then it was a good purchase for you, and that's all that matters in the end.

Teknoman

So after playing Axelay a little, I really have no idea how this flew (heh) under my radar back in the day. After my parents bought Gradius 3, we ended up really getting into shoot em ups. Ended up playing obscure stuff like Blazeon...but missed a Konami release?

Some of the stuff that game does with Mode 7 is insane.

ys45

Well I guess I should be fine posting this in here since I don't think there is a NES/FC thread. Anyway, finally picked up a Famicom (AV) for myself! (Along with Ducktales.)

Are the AV Famicom compatible with NA games version also ?
I remember hearing this somewhere.

-KRS-

Or get this totally awesome pirate cartridge of it:
IMG_0027.jpg

But why do you think they'll skyrocket?

I hope you feel better.
Thank you. I'm working on it. :)

And @ys45: I don't see why not. They wont just work directly of course, you need a 72-pin -> 60-pin adapter. But otherwise they should work fine I think.

Most AV-modded Famicoms should produce the same quality video as a frontloader NES; there's no difference in their PPU. If you replaced the PPU with one from a Playchoice-10, there would be significant gains since they're RGB. I've never done a side-by-side comparison of my frontloader versus my AV Famicom, but they should be the virtually the same.

The AV Famicom is probably my favorite Nintendo system. I need fix my converter for NES games at some point (almost all of them are manufactured incorrectly, causing certain games to not work) and make a nice shell for it.

Are the AV Famicom compatible with NA games version also ?
I remember hearing this somewhere.
You need a converter, but they'll work perfectly provided you have one with everything wired up correctly (most for sale are wrong!) You can find the boards that are wired incorrectly for pretty cheap (http://r.ebay.com/X0AVQX), and they're supposedly a really easy fix (linky). Or you could spring for more and buy one that's either already been fixed or was made correctly (http://r.ebay.com/l2wEyF).

Ha, ha, I don't think DuckTales for NES is gonna get too pricey.

There are more DuckTales carts floating around out there than Mega Man 2 carts.

But nice minty CIB copies would be worth obtaining for sure.

smbu2000

Nice! I've been thinking about getting an AV Famicom as well. How much did you pay for it, if you don't mind my asking? It's kind of difficult to get here in Europe. Haven't seen that many on eBay.
It was a bit expensive, I paid 8,900 yen for it (tax included.) then again I've seen local shops selling just the body (no controllers) for 7,000-8,000 yen. Auctions for just the system itself with 1 or 2 controllers can be about 7,000 yen or so and then there's shipping, etc. Plus if I have a problem with it I can take it back to the store (for a limited period of course.) My system came with both controllers, manual and box. No AV cables/Power Brick, but Nintendo doesn't include those in the box. It uses the same ones as the Super Famicom though (which I have many of!) so I just used those.

The only thing I didn't notice is that it's missing a rubber foot on the bottom! I wonder if I can swipe one from one of my SFC consoles and put it on there, heh.

Top Bottom