• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sim City 5 to have in-game store

HoosTrax

My wife used to play The Sims religiously, and after hearing from her how much EA has fleeced fans of that series this does not surprise me.
I have both Sims and Sims 2, but as I was looking at Sims 3 during the recent Steam sale on it, I'm just tallying up all of the DLC, which are priced the same as full games, and it adds up to almost $400 worth. The price of a single one of those costs as much as a season pass for other games.

Uthred

Always amusing to see people shitting the bed as they psychically divine how something they have no details about is going to play out

I hate IAP just like everyone else, but Simcity and add-ons have a loooong history. It's not worth freaking out about it.

Shai-Tan

Banned
Is this where we assume negative things without any evidence? It could be exactly like The Sims, i.e. addon content that they are actively making post release

Balehead

Are we heading into a 'Pay 60$ to access the F2P structure' future?

Glad I got into the beta and saw enough of that game already.

Berordn

Just like The Sims 3, basically.

Guess I'm waiting for it top drop in price by about 40 dollars.

I have both Sims and Sims 2, but as I was looking at Sims 3 during the recent Steam sale on it, I'm just tallying up all of the DLC, which are priced the same as full games, and it adds up to almost $400 worth. The price of a single one of those costs as much as a season pass for other games.

Steam shows the expansion packs as DLC (which is somewhat accurate), and they're still sold at MSRP. There's a whole other store with normal DLC inside the game proper.

UberTag

Every EA game from this point forward should have a fully stocked store loaded with $50-100 worth of crap someone can choose to buy from Day 1.
Whether it's a freemium Facebook game or a $60 AAA venture.

Is this where we assume negative things without any evidence? It could be exactly like The Sims, i.e. addon content that they are actively making post release

If its cosmetic only I might be fine with it.
Otherwise am not buying this game and they've ruined what could have been a fantastic long term experience and example of social gaming.

If you want your city to lake on a ancient Japanese city vibe, go and buy it for a few dollars.

Now that i'd be willing to pay for!
Allready preordered the limited/special/exclusive edition 3 months ago by the way.
Don't know what i'll be getting but i'll be willing to pay for extra content like landmarks or well known buildings and stadiums if it fits my taste and budget.

If Sims 3 is any indication, I can't see it affecting the gameplay. It's probably just new buildings and building skins, basically things that I won't care about.

As long as the main game has all of the expected buildings and features of a normal Sim City, and none of them are locked away as paid DLC, I won't care.

Stet

Banned
Now that i'd be willing to pay for!
Allready preordered the limited/special/exclusive edition 3 months ago by the way.
Don't know what i'll be getting but i'll be willing to pay for extra content like landmarks or well known buildings and stadiums if it fits my taste and budget.

I guess I just feel like that kind of stuff should be included in the game you paid $60 for.

padlock

The problem is that most main stream purchasers aren't really aware that this is happening, or how it negatively affects the game experience, until after they buy the game.

I think a large part of the blame really falls on game journalists, who seem completely unwilling to call out publisher's for these tactics, and sometimes actually blame the 'entitled' gamers who dare to complain about these practices.

Retro

No one is really surprised by this, are they?

You don't need to look further than The Sims to know how EA and Maxis will handle this game. There will be big bright shiny buttons that lead to the shop.

There will be reminders to check out the shop every few seconds because something is on sale.

They will shove the items you can buy directly into the game's inventory (In the Sims, the first row of build/buy objects is dominated by golden-bordered items you can buy, pushing the items you own out of sight).

They will hold back features that used to be staples to resell them later in expansions or as cash shop items (a large number of objects found in the original Sims didn't make it into The Sims 3 until 4 or 5 expansions later).

It's EA games. You can guarantee you'll be buying back the features you used to get one microtransaction at a time.

Celegus

Not sure how anyone could even be surprised by this. From everything I've seen, there's plenty of game to be had in the original package. And guess what - don't like the microtransactions? Don't buy 'em! I've never bought anything like that and have been getting along just fine.

Fortunately SimCity 2000 still runs fine.

My wife also used to be the biggest Sims fan in the world. It's amazing to see how they've killed the community for that game, which used to be super vibrant and have a ton of custom content creators. EA being EA, I knew they wouldn't be able to resist taking control of that revenue stream in The Sims 3, and that's exactly what happened.

Jac_Solar

I'm curious about how well this will sell. I don't think a city builder sim will appeal to "casuals", the people who only play Sims, for example.

This will most likely be perceived as a strategy building-game, which means that there won't be a huge market for it.

The hardcore "Sim City 4" community is, seemingly, relatively large, but I doubt they will move on from the "modability", and extreme amounts of mods available for Sim City 4 for a game that is online only, has no mod tools or support besides what will most likely be overpriced DLC packs from EA.

They should obviously have supported the modding community of Sim City 4 by adding modding tools (As well as no DLC, or online only mode.). They would have ensured that the game would, most certainly, get tons of new content on a regular basis for a long time -- as a result, the game would stay fresh, active, and the developers/EA would gain the favor of fans.

"
Not sure how anyone could even be surprised by this. From everything I've seen, there's plenty of game to be had in the original package. And guess what - don't like the microtransactions? Don't buy 'em! I've never bought anything like that and have been getting along just fine.

Do you think they would try to sell content that's completely useless or is already in the game?

Bumhead

Banned
...I think I'll just stick with Sim City 4.

Possibly this.

Is Sim City 4 any good?

My interest in Sim City has been perked a little with some of the stuff regarding 5, but I'd prefferable like a good version of the game that a.) doesn't ask me to micro-transaction everytime I turn it on and b.) doesn't require me to install Origin.

Folstern

If you don't want to pay real money for roads, don't! No one is forcing you too!

I can't wait for the first Katy Perry 30$ DLC.

I can't remember where I read it but I think I recall the devs specificlaly saying that the DLC won't alter the game play or anything like that. No pay 2 win DLC items so nothing like "oh for only $5 you can upgrade your power plant turbines!" bull shit.

I think it's supposed to be visual/aesthetic changes only (similar to path of exile's DLC)

If that turns out to be true, I won't have a problem with it. If there IS A pay 2 win element to it though, I'm most definitely waiting until a GOTY edition is released with all that stuff included.

Retro

if it doesn't affect my gameplay i don't see the problem

The problem is that SimCity is basically a giant Lego set and EA is making you pay to unlock one brick type at a time. It affects the gameplay because having a multitude of 'building blocks' and managing how they interact IS the gameplay. But when features like subways, agriculture and terra-forming are removed, either because the engine can't handle them without a nosedive in performance (because they want the game to run on toasters) or because they're going to be sold back to you later, it's affecting the gameplay.

Sure, they give you a pretty good bucket to start with, but compared to what you used to get? You're getting duplo'd.

Celegus

Do you think they would try to sell content that's completely useless or is already in the game?

Isn't that usually how it is? That's what it looked like when my wife was playing The Sims 3, where you could buy a different style of cabinets for $2 if that's your jam. Same with what I remember in Dead Space, wasn't it mostly just cosmetic changes to the guns? There's still enough there to feel like a full game, I could care less about different skins.

Screaming_Gremlin

My QB is a Dick and my coach is a Nutt
Steam shows the expansion packs as DLC (which is somewhat accurate), and they're still sold at MSRP. There's a whole other store with normal DLC inside the game proper.

Yeah, the Steam DLC is just just the expansions and the "stuff" packs. The actual Sims Store is an entirely other level of fleecing. I have to imagine there is probably several thousand dollars worth of items/town maps/hairstyles in there by now.

Retro

Isn't that usually how it is? That's what it looked like when my wife was playing The Sims 3, where you could buy a different style of cabinets for $2 if that's your jam. Same with what I remember in Dead Space, wasn't it mostly just cosmetic changes to the guns? There's still enough there to feel like a full game, I could care less about different skins.

The Sims, in general, is nothing but cosmetic changes. SimCity used to be deeper than that, but who knows how SC5 will handle it. People in Beta were reporting that they had no problem maintaining a budget, which is SCARY considering how notorious SimCity games are for micromanaging your tax/funding scheme.

Yeah, the Steam DLC is just just the expansions and the "stuff" packs. The actual Sims Store is an entirely other level of fleecing. I have to imagine there is probably several thousand dollars worth of items/town maps/hairstyles in there by now.

The Sims store launched with over $40 worth of items. In fact, the store was up before the game even came out.

The really devious thing is that they sold the individual items at a discount if you bought them as a set, but none of the sets were worth less than $10. Guess how many free Sim Points you got with the purchase of The Sims 3?

Chili

Going by some of the preorder offers, this might be the sort of stuff they are including:

From the LE:

CRIME WAVES
The Evil Dr. Vu is loose and will create havoc in your city. Normal police have their hands full against this Super Villain. The Evil Dr. Vu will solicit Sims to become his henchmen and carry out his dastardly deeds.

SUPER HERO HQ
Place MaxisMan's headquarters in your city to combat crime and keep your Sims safe. Upgrade with the Turbo Machine garage and The Reticulator landing pad.

EVIL VILLAIN LAIR
Place Dr. Vu's Lair in your city to unleash a crime wave. As The Evil Dr. Vu commits more crimes, upgrade his lair with a special laboratory and a garage for the Evil VuMobile.

The Digital Deluxe Edition:

As well as all the great content in the Limited Edition, the Digital Deluxe includes three European City packs. Recreate European inspired neighborhoods in the center of your city! Place world renowned landmarks including the Eiffel Tower, Brandenburg Gate or Big Ben to help your tourism business in your city. Receive exclusive missions, complete unique achievements and earn big bucks as waves of Sims visit the landmarks. Watch as the businesses, homes and vehicles around your landmarks start to take on the flavor, style, and architecture of those countries.

SIGNATURE LANDMARKS
Be the envy of your region by placing exclusive landmarks to give your city district a fresh new look. Sims will visit your city to see the beautiful wonders.

CHANGE IN THE STREETS
Watch the streets, homes, businesses, and vehicles around your landmarks start to take on the flavor of those countries.

MORE PLOPPABLES
Move your Sims in style with new transportation ploppables. Double Decker buses from London, High-Speed Rail from Germany, and police services from Paris.

To give an indication of pricing, the version with the three European City Packs is £20 more than the Limited Edition.

Top Bottom