• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft/Take Two don't foresee spike in next-gen development costs

The chief executive at Ubisoft has said that the next cycle of Microsoft and Sony consoles will "bring innovation that will be fantastic for the industry".

Yves Guillemot told investors on Thursday that the next generation systems "have fantastic potential" - though added that is was duty-bound to not disclose specific details. New systems traditionally cultivate original IP during their first two years of release, which may be the source of Guillemot's claim, though there is speculation that the next PlayStation will adopt new ideas such as biometric readings.

Sony is expected to announce its next generation home console at a press conference in New York on February 20, weeks before Microsoft reveals its Xbox successor.

Guillemot, who said Ubisoft has managed to hit the upper-end of its sales targets, assured that next generation development costs will not be significantly more expensive.

"What we've said is that, for the first two years of those machines, the costs will not increase because we can use a lot of the engines that we've already created," he said.

Source

Obviously costs will increase, but it's good to hear it won't be a massive spike. Take Two also shares a similar sentiment:

During an investor conference call after Take Two’s latest financials, Zelnick was asked if next-gen titles will require far greater investment to develop. “We don’t have any reason to believe our development budgets will change significantly,” he said. “If anything we have become – group-wide – much tighter in terms of how we spend our money. We can’t say specifically, but no we don’t expect to see a meaningful change in what it costs us to release these top quality products.”

Source

Glass Rebel

Ubisoft I'm not surprised, they can stretch everything they do over 7+ games and add some Templar flags here and there but Take 2? Maybe they can finally get their development times down to just 5 years.

Ubisoft, last November:

“For the first two years [of next gen development], because we are making our games on next gen and old gen at the same time, we expect the overall [development] costs will not increase. We don’t know about the third year, when we will take full advantage of the capacity of the consoles,” stated Guillemot.

apana

It doesn't necessarily have to increase depending on how they approach development. If they see the first two years as transition years where they are essentially making advanced versions of the games they are making now, the changes in cost could be minimal. These may be viewed as genuine decade long consoles. We have years 3-8 to see major changes.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Why does anyone expect costs to increase? Games are still going to be 720p or maybe 1080p and the improved IQ is going to come from better AA and the overall ability of the GPU. It's not like devs are going to turn around and start adding more intricate content. The increased cost last gen was largely due to and industry wide pissing contest.

lefantome

it's believable.

Tools have improved a lot and most of the budget is used in marketing, star voice acting, mismanagement.

I think that the budget will grow for games that need a lot of content like some open world and rpg games but productions have to be more efficient with tech, assets and people shared between studios.

Edit: I mean that there will be an increase but not anywhere big as before

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
The argument that development costs need to rise next gen has always been ridiculous.

ksamedi

I don't think we will amazing things in the first couple of years from PS4, Xbox. If devs want to make amazing stuff, budgets will have to increase, or content has to be sacrificed. Thats the nature of the business.

Haunted

"What we've said is that, for the first two years of those machines, the costs will not increase because we can use a lot of the engines that we've already created," he said.
Man, I hope these engines are capable of much, much more than what they've been showing off so far and just been held back by the old tech.

Which engine was Star Wars 1313 using?

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Of course it won't be that much worse. They already have engines in place for next-gen, Ubisoft has Anvil-Next, and Take Two has RAGE (probably can be scaled up for next-gen for Rockstar) and Unreal 4 (if they do license it from Epic) for 2K.

I mean, it can't be that expensive for them. Hell, maybe it won't be that expensive for EA either, many of their studios are using Frostbite 2, which is also next-gen ready.

Yves: Relax everybody, we'll just keep costs low by making last gen games on next gen consoles!

Everybody: You're a frickin genius Yves!

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Man, I hope these engines are capable of much, much more than what they've been showing off so far and just been held back by the old tech.

Which engine was Star Wars 1313 using?

It's a modified version of Unreal Engine 3.

It does look fairly expensive though:

1345562672_84732.20120821-SW1313-07.jpg

star_wars_1313_13.jpg

I don't think we will amazing things in the first couple of years from PS4, Xbox. If devs want to make amazing stuff, budgets will have to increase, or content has to be sacrificed. Thats the nature of the business.

Not necessarily. Especially when it comes to visual assets, models and textures, etc. are all compressed/optimized to hell and back to make everything work on hardware from 2005/6. Newer consoles would allow devs to at least keep their assets closer to their original uncompressed formats. Hell, look at the original renders of Gears of War 1, they're still extremely impressive.

Oh yes, because the ever-growing list of defunct devs says so.

There are plenty of reasons why devs close down, and many of them don't involve rising dev costs.

Funny, I read the title as "Ubisoft/Take Two didn't foresee spike in next-gen development costs," and I thought this was about the previous generational transition.

Now I wonder what publishers were saying back then.

ksamedi

Not necessarily. Especially when it comes to visual assets, models and textures, etc. are all compressed/optimized to hell and back to make everything work on hardware from 2005/6. Newer consoles would allow devs to at least keep their assets closer to their original uncompressed formats. Hell, look at the original renders of Gears of War 1, they're still extremely impressive.

There are plenty of reasons why devs close down, and many of them don't involve rising dev costs.

I don't think the same old with a visual increase will have any impact. The costs will rise for openworld games with complex game mechanics and interactivity.

UrbanRats

The graphics in general look phenomenal, but the assets don't look that detailed, even going by the other screenshots, i remember a ton of visible and crude angles in the models.
So they may just end up using models they would've otherwise produced for cutscenes.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
The graphics in general look phenomenal, but the assets don't look that detailed, even going by the other screenshots, i remember a ton of visible and crude angles in the models.
So they may just end up using models they would've otherwise produced for cutscenes.

That's a fair assessment.

I mean whenever I look at renders I feel they look much better than they do in games, but they still have to build the render quality assets.

apana

The argument that development costs need to rise next gen has always been ridiculous.

No it's not, they will rise. The only question has been by how much and how quickly. We have gotten varying estimates and even Ubisoft's CEO is only saying he expects costs to be similar for the first two years. I can't remember where but I read somewhere that the costs to license Unreal Engine 4 will be more than 3.

There's gonna be a shitload of cross-gen multiplatform games for the next couple of years.

Yup. I'm going to guess a lot of the cross generational/multi platform games from the big publishers will have their early nextgen games simply look a little better graphically, but otherwise not be nearly as amazing looking as some people seem to think nextgen will be.

Haunted

See, if that's the kind of stuff they're talking about with [re]using engines, I'm good.

If they're talking Gun, I'll have a problem with that.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
See, if that's the kind of stuff they're talking about with [re]using engines, I'm good.

If they're talking Gun, I'll have a problem with that.

Well it's worth considering that several publishers made a next-gen engine at the end of this generation and then had their games run like total ass using it.

I imagine a lot of these can scale up significantly if given the art assets and a bit more work.

VaLiancY

Will in house engines like MT Framework or Frostbite help curb the cost since they're already made and dev teams don't have to spend much resources building new ones for every game?

StuBurns

Banned
Just having better models doesn't mean much at all. How many games have built insane assets for prerecorded videos? They all make much higher quality assets than they use to produce bump maps. Textures are all higher quality than is used. Everything else is just a question of density of design, which could raise the cost if you demand everything to be uniquely fashioned for an instance, but it's not really any harder to place a thousand trees than it is to place two hundred. And all these DX11 effects are clearly cheap enough to implement that they can do it for middling selling PC games, let alone major console releases.

The real rise will just be production standards, motion capture, performance capture, etc.

Perkel

Banned

Or they just dropped creating lower mesh and gone straight for original which should be looking like those models. Usually mesh is around anywhere from 500k to 2mln+ Game meshes for current gen had mostly 10k-40k+.

It would be probably cheaper using original mesh rather than creating original mesh and then downsizing it to xxk poly.
I am no dev but it is logical imo.

Also more power = less tricks.

For example if PS3 had more power and could do realtime SSAO in GOW3 it would be cheaper doing realtime SSAO for GOW 3 rather than baking it.

Hard Reset guys also showed that even small budget can give amazing visuals.

Cake Boss

Banned
Kind of agree with him saying that companies will just use their old engines instead of creating an entirely new one.

Look at the COD engine, you will see alot of people copying this model.

Perkel

Banned
Also with new consoles architecture closer to PC and closer to each other it would help a lot to port games in 3 ways meaning less money spent on making game work on all platforms

This was always my thinking as well.

I can't talk about tools but for an artist visual or audio, I don't see what would change from the way things are already done on a basic level. Visual artists won't have to scale down as much to meet limitations for one.

slit

Well maybe that's true but they're not exactly unbiased sources.

You think there going to panic investors like that?

Top Bottom