• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

More Luminous engine tech demos

AAK

This industry is so gonna be bankrupt if they expect developers to go into this much detail for every game.

daveo42

Banned
This industry is so gonna be bankrupt if they expect developers to go into this much detail for every game.

Only if they make it excessively hard to do all of this amazing stuff. Isn't the point of building game engines to give tools to devs so they can more easily create this stuff?

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
A glass bottle is really reminiscent of their console output on Square's end. Pretty to look at but nothing on the inside to actually care about.

PSYGN

While awesome, I want to see actual full scale in-game use of the engine. I doubt the game would have enough resources to go into such detail with a shelf full of glasses. I mean, that's obvious, and while this is cool, I want to see a real world scenario.

Snakeyes

A glass bottle is really reminiscent of their console output on Square's end. Pretty to look at but nothing on the inside to actually care about.

o4Zw4.gif

Veal

Wasn't SE developing this with their CG teams in an effort to bridge the gap between in game and CG stuff? I wouldn't expect the games to look this good initially...

Durante

Their fluid particles are too large. Need better fluids!

That's a strange thing to say in a thread about 4 tech demos, for which even I could have done the art assets in two days :p (I'm not an artist)

Soriku

Can we even expect this level of detail (and have the game run well) for 40+ hour RPGs on next gen consoles?

A lot of this is programmable and based off of physics.

Let him have his little ME TOO validate me please moment :p
Congrats for derailing the topic at the very first reply, guy.

OT: This is my favorite part of early new gen, all the tech demos.
You get to use your own imagination to think of what they'll do with it.
The smoke is really cool.

I don't suppose there is a vimeo link to these like with the older tech demos? My 75 euro/month '80mb/sec' ISP throttles youtube traffic so hard that it takes 10 minutes to buffer the videos :( and for some reason youtube decides to try to reload the video when I skip through it.

onQ123

The Glass Refraction demo is amazing to me & I hope next gen consoles can pull that of even of it's just LBP or Pool /Chess games.

i-Lo

Do not worry, WiiU has you covered.

The Refraction demo is amazing to me & I hope next gen consoles can pull that of even of it's just LBP or Pool /Chess games.

I remember physics demo showed off during E 2005 (duck in pool demo) for PS3. Perhaps this time, there is actually a chance where we might see it be integrated in the a game environment.

Looks great of course, but how much value all of this has in an actual game has to be seen. And it's not like great graphics automatically make a great game.

skypunch

Banned
None of it even impresses me, Square-Enix is just all about style over substance and these graphics will only feed the short-term. It's like an airbrushed photograph of a model with fake tits. People who are easily suckered into this just seem so materialistic.

At least we'll go out in style.

iiAaE5Xzg92YR.gif

Yup, "style", not substance....

Watches first one: "Is this a live intro bit...oh no wait...thats inengine..."
Much more impressive than the first stuff they showed.

Some of the others are not very impressive though but am kind of hoping their not meant to be.

teiresias

Oh look, the usual suspects that feel the only "affordable" graphical fidelity able to be utilized in a good game and be sustainable in the industry just happens to be whatever level of graphics the latest Nintendo hardware is capable of at the time.

Yonafunu

Errm, I guess that's cool...? That really didn't look all that special to me, can someone explain what these tech demo's were all about? The second one with the bugs was really cool, but it's not something I'd rave about in a game. I'm guessing the further implications would be more characters on screen or something? And the liquid one just looked downright ugly to me.
please don't kill me

Dsiclaimer: I'm not really a tech person. I really don't pay a lot of attention to these things in games, so maybe this is not for me.

Agni's Philosophy was amazing though. But that's a completely polished 5-minute tech demo they worked on for 3-6 months, so it's probably not comparable.

There is another one showing some sort of animal

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhPLIKPIRW4

That's the same dog shown in Agni's Philosophy.

A lot of this is programmable and based off of physics.
This.

I remember a lot of older games had more detailed environment, specially adventure games, which clearly showed a lot of time was put in by the designers;

However, it is not as if all the visual aspects of the games will grow the same amount; they'll focus on those that are easier to get via solely power increase.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Very impressive stuff.

For those that don't understand what they're looking at.....these are tech demos showing off what you can do, from a technical standpoint, with the engine. They're not meant to be impressive artistically.

I realize this is supposed to be about art costs but nothing in these demos involve complex art, it's just special effects showcases which aren't really associated with increased costs outside of their initial development.

skypunch

Banned
Very impressive stuff.

For those that don't understand what they're looking at.....these are tech demos showing off what you can do, from a technical standpoint, with the engine. They're not meant to be impressive artistically.

It's all a bit pointless though really, isn't it?

It's all a bit pointless though really, isn't it?

What do you mean by "Pointless"? The point of building engines like Luminous is two-fold:

1.) Give the studio a competitive technical edge over their competitors, most major publishers do this now, EA and Sony being the most obvious examples.

2.) Lower development costs by having an engine that's versatile and efficient.

If your point is questioning why they'd release tech demos like this to the public and that you simply don't care.... why did you enter the thread in the first place?

KKRT00

Only refraction demo run in good frame, rest is cutscene only tech, so dont anticipate those ingame.

Smoke tech wont even cut into the cutscenes, it ran in like 10-15fps.

skypunch

Banned
What do you mean by "Pointless"? The point of building engines like Luminous is two-fold:

1.) Give the studio a competitive technical edge over their competitors, most major publishers do this now, EA and Sony being the most obvious examples.

2.) Lower development costs by having an engine that's versatile and efficient.

If your point is questioning why they'd release tech demos like this to the public and that you simply don't care.... why did you enter the thread in the first place?

I'm not too knowledgeable on the tech side of things, but my point is that surely it's not going to end up looking this good in game? Would it not take up more resources and leave less to actual gameplay?

It looks good but you can just tell that whatever game Square-Enix develops using this engine, it will favour style over substance.

gundalf

I personally don't need those type of graphics in a game, it's probably a shell of game if it even has those caliber graphics.

Don't say that, new technology like this makes it also cheaper to create artsy games with small teams. Good examples are el shaddai, 3d dot game hero and lot of PSN/XBL games.

Squarenix's Luminous Engine is a investment in the future to make Game production cheaper.

KKRT00

I'm not too knowledgeable on the tech side of things, but my point is that surely it's not going to end up looking this good in game? Would it not take up more resources and leave less to actual gameplay?

It looks good but you can just tell that whatever game Square-Enix develops using this engine, it will favour style over substance.

Every single one of those tech demo make developing easier not harder. Not try to think why.

You know what I don't blame you for thinking that. At the start of this gen there were some crazy tech demos and almost non of them were realized in the final product.

There's a very good chance the same will happen now. It may just be all fluff especially after seeing how underwhelming both consoles are. At the very least, we may have a chance to crank up these effects in the pc port as long as the console baseline is good enough.

Top Bottom