• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DriveClub (Evolution Studios/PS4) announcement trailer. [PS3 WHEELS ARE SUPPORTED]

Hoo-doo

Banned
We've got a wide range of people working on the handling team ;)

"We expanded our vehicle handling and design team so that together, we have over 50 years’ experience working on the most prestigious racing titles out there, including – WRC, Formula 1, Gran Turismo, MotorStorm, WipEout, Project Gotham Racing, GRID 2 and many more."

Source: http://alturl.com/ng8bx

You're saying all the right things. Just nail that perfect mix of sim and arcade and you have yourselves a winner.

Bollocks

Totally not hyped for this, especially after he came on stage and was like, this is the game they all been waiting to make.
In the end it's a generic racer with 1st person view and social challenges. Nothing to get excited about.
Evolution studios could do so much more.

Stark

Banned
Totally not hyped for this, especially after he came on stage and was like, this is the game they all been waiting to make.
In the end it's a generic racer with 1st person view and social challenges. Nothing to get excited about.
Evolution studios could do so much more.

... I could generalize any game like that and make it sound like something that's nothing to get excited about.

GT5's London track uses assets from the cancelled Getaway PS3 game.

wasn't this some bs spewed by c&vg?

There's a bunch of cars in this trailer that are not on GT. They should be going back in fourth with the models, because it's a win-win situation.

looks like no sharing to me:

image_driveclub-21484-2662_0006.jpg

marktgasseberna_3yiii4.jpg

evo's m3 model is higher quality and gt's models would be useless for drive club's first person car inspection sequences as they don't model the engines and other mechanical parts.

Is it open world? Or do you mean its got a nice arcade/sim mix? Or both?

I'm not sure that it's open world. Matt used the word "track" in his presentation, and the official description says that we'll drive on some of the most exotic locations around the world. So it doesn't necessarily sound open world.

If it's not open world then I hope that one of the tracks is the Transfagarasan Pass

transfagarasan5x3cbl.jpg

Ding-Ding

evo's m3 model is higher quality and gt's models would be useless for drive club's first person car inspection sequences as they don't model the engines and other mechanical parts.

Hey, you nicked my pics from GT Planet... Thats my GT5 BMW damn it.

(Its all good though)

jett

D-Member

Yamauchi am cry. Future proof car models, eh.

Ding-Ding

To be fair on Evolution, the difference is actually BMW as its the 2007 vs 2012 model, hence the darker grill & light change.

Honestly though, I am not convinced there isn't car sharing going on. The pics I took of the Maseratti (same set as the BMW pics) definitely had little between them

Rushy, I know you can't really answer many questions about what is in the game, so can you shed some light on:
How long it has been in development?
How many people work on Evolution?
I'm hoping that the game is open world, but it looks stunning if it is/isn't. I'm glad you don't have to be in the car, as I prefer the third person view.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Holy shit, if you look close enough on Evo's model in between the crack you can barely trace the engine.

That's absurd detail. Not to mention one is actually on a track racing, the other is in photo mode.

We don't know that yet, could be an in-engine render. And unless it's heading right towards a big crowd of people, I don't think it's currently on a track racing in that shot. (see the reflections on the lower right bumper)

I need some actual gameplay to be convinced.

Grassy

Really looking forward to this game, I think it looks great already and has great potential. I'm hoping it's there at the PS4 launch.

Yamauchi created GT from scratch. Noway he just hands the name out like that without personal involvement.

Very true. Yamauchi/PD would be balls deep in GT6 development right now, he has enough on his plate without having another game at another studio to be involved with.

Have they said this is open world ala Forza Horizon?

At the PS Meeting they mentioned tracks, so I'm thinking something like NFS/Horizon-type city and country roads but not open-world.

Portugeezer

Wasn't there gameplay in the teaser/conference? I have a hard time believing that was a cutscene or something.

There was a gameplay looking trailer, no dude playing the game. The most gameplay-ey part was when they showed the dude getting in the car and strapping himself in.

Stark

Banned
There was a gameplay looking trailer, no dude playing the game. The most gameplay-ey part was when they showed the dude getting in the car and strapping himself in.

Really? I felt most of the trailer looked like it included gameplay... Well, in-game stuff. Of course, it wasn't being demo'd.

beast786

I am excited but it for some reason sound complicated. Most arcade racers just want to have fun with just start etc.

Kind of remind me MAG and Starhawk where it looks great as concept and works great for people who are really into it . basically I am saying it has a tough initial curve. I am ok with one ie GT, but with this I was looking for a little mindless fun like motorstorm

Ding-Ding

does polyphony digital share assets with evolution studios?

Cant say for certain. PD have a tendency to be elitests when it comes to sharing tech but I doubt very much that Sony will allow two developers to create models from the ground up.

My betting is yes, these are PD's models and probably from the high LOD models that they say they created for future proofing.

i-Lo

The lighting looks even better than GT5 (as it should). But I do want wonder if they are targeting 60fps or like Horizon/Motorstorm, 30fps (I'd prefer 60fps). Anyone have any idea?

Dusky

The lighting looks even better than GT5 (as it should). But I do want wonder if they are targeting 60fps or like Horizon/Motorstorm, 30fps (I'd prefer 60fps). Anyone have any idea?

I think that could be a question for Rushy.

Niks

Cant say for certain. PD have a tendency to be elitests when it comes to sharing tech but I doubt very much that Sony will allow two developers to create models from the ground up.

My betting is yes, these are PD's models and probably from the high LOD models that they say they created for future proofing.

PD spent 5 years building models so that another studio could use them for their game and steal their thunder?.. not likely?

My bet would be that PD they gave them slightly dumbed down models, and not their highest quality ones... but who knows really.

Rushy

Rushy, I know you can't really answer many questions about what is in the game, so can you shed some light on:
How long it has been in development?
How many people work on Evolution?
Well MotorStorm Apocalypse was released spring 2011, so some point after that ;)

There are over 120 talented and enthusiastic people working at Evolution Studios right now, and we're looking for more C++ Programmers http://www.evos.net/

And I wish I could answer all of the questions being asked in this thread, but I'm not allowed to just yet. Rest assured every detail shared about Driveclub will be relayed here to keep you all up to date.

The Jason

DC looks like a lot of fun. Can't wait for the Neogaf race clubs. And I trust Evo to deliver, MS pacific rift and apocalypse were awesome

I don't know if Rushy answered this but did Evo know about 8gb GDDR5? Are they happy about it and will they utilize it for release?

I also heard that most dev kits have about 2.2 gb of ram so I wonder if all launch games have only used that much.

Looking forward to e3 and hearing more about this game. Kinda tired of the yearly NFS, so I'll probably get this as I want at least one next gen racer. Also, please make sure you have split screen local race. I find it quite shocking that some of the current gen racers dont have a local VS mode. It's completely ridiculous.

Top Bottom