• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Plasma, LCD, OLED, LED, best tv for next gen

Fitts

The 55 is an IPS panel which apparently produces lower quality picture. 50 and 65+ are not IPS though.

There are pros and cons between IPS and VA. Stated simply, VA provides a lower native black level which provides better contrast when peak brightness is properly calibrated. IPS provides better viewing angles and cleaner motion. IPS also often provides punchier color and VA better uniformity, but ancillary factors make these attributes highly variable.

When visiting review sites like Rtings, be sure to consider the measurements and ignore the scoring/subjectivity. Different people have different needs/preferences and, with a display technology with as many caveats as LCD, contrast isn't necessarily king.

MazeHaze

Banned
I'd be wary of IPS panels for a tv. I recently bought the sony 850d which is great in a lot of ways, no motion blur, awesome colors etc. But man, even in a room with a couple lamps at night, all blacks are basically light gray. It's very noticeable and bad, so much so that the sony is going back to best buy and I have a samsung ks8000 on the way. Vizio seems like a good choice, but only if you go 65 inches and above, which is not an option for me. The 50 is only 60 hz and the 55 is IPS. FALD probably helps alot with the IPS, but I wouldn't risk it.

Ok GAF talk me down. Vizio p55-c1 $837 or Samsung un55ju6500 $783 open box right now.

Go with the Vizio. The blacks and contrast are as good or better than other other non-FALD VA panels I've tried before. The FALD really does wonders for the IPS. Combine that with the fact that you get HDR with the Vizio, better input lag, and IMO a more future proof system, you can't go wrong. Especially for that price.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
There are pros and cons between IPS and VA. Stated simply, VA provides a lower native black level which provides better contrast when peak brightness is properly calibrated. IPS provides better viewing angles and cleaner motion. IPS also often provides punchier color and VA better uniformity, but ancillary factors make these attributes highly variable.

When visiting review sites like Rtings, be sure to consider the measurements and ignore the scoring/subjectivity. Different people have different needs/preferences and, with a display technology with as many caveats as LCD, contrast isn't necessarily king.

This was really helpful to me. Trying to decide on which display to get later in the year and as someone who values motion resolution I didn't realize IPS did better there. Going to try to get one of the Vizio P-series models with a 120Hz IPS.

cchum

Go with the Vizio. The blacks and contrast are as good or better than other other non-FALD VA panels I've tried before. The FALD really does wonders for the IPS. Combine that with the fact that you get HDR with the Vizio, better input lag, and IMO a more future proof system, you can't go wrong. Especially for that price.

Well I'm coming from a st50 plasma which has great blacks and 3D. It's a trade off

What's the NEOGAF standard for Harmony remotes? Need one for the Vizio p65.

I want your TV.

This was really helpful to me. Trying to decide on which display to get later in the year and as someone who values motion resolution I didn't realize IPS did better there. Going to try to get one of the Vizio P-series models with a 120Hz IPS.

I've been looking at the Vizio P-series 50" and 55" so I guess we're having the same dilemma. I keep hearing conflicting opinions on IPS, but I think it may be the best option with 120hz.

Sorry if this has already been discussed, but I couldn't find anything.

Can someone explain the differences between the LG OLED 55 inch E6P and B6P? How is the glass panel on the E6P better? I'm also confused how their sound systems are different. The B6P seems to have better sound specs, but that surprises me considering it is the lower end model. Are there other differences? Thanks in advance!

x3sphere

For those interested in the LG OLEDs:

Beach Camera has the 55" C6 listed @ 2499 right now. 65" is 3999. It is showing up on their Amazon storefront at that price and website

I requested a PM with Amazon and they were happy to do so. So, ended up getting the C6 for 2499 shipped from Amazon.

cchum

Possibly, didn't realize it was just one item and not a store wide deal. The fair condition part makes me a bit skeptical.
How about this: buy it, and if screen damage then I take it back. If not, I determine if I want it and shoot you some pics and what not.

Crap, my bad. I actually saw that post, but for some reason I was thinking that was one of the older Kuros. His set is actually the same/slightly better than mine.

Nah bro, the 141fd was the cream of the crop of 60in kuros, the signature series had the best hand picked panels.

Seems like you can't lose with the P series. Great bargain. I'm going to hold out a bit longer for hopefully an affordable LG E6 next year. The wait is hard though, I want to retire my dinosaur.

Russell

Can someone explain the differences between the LG OLED 55 inch E6P and B6P? How is the glass panel on the E6P better? I'm also confused how their sound systems are different. The B6P seems to have better sound specs, but that surprises me considering it is the lower end model. Are there other differences? Thanks in advance!
The more expensive E6 also has 3D and lower input lag compared to the B6.

How about this: buy it, and if screen damage then I take it back. If not, I determine if I want it and shoot you some pics and what not.

I'm probably going to hold off until Black Friday, but thanks. Someone else may be interested. That price is definitely appealing.

Fitts

IPS provides cleaner motion, but not necessarily better motion resolution. Sample-and-hold will always be limiting in this respect. To clarify, IPS inherently has less of the ghosting/trailing/smearing/softness that you'd find with motion on a VA panel, but good image processing is still integral to the experience with any LCD.

I can't speak to the 55" Vizio P series because I haven't seen one in person, (I only have experience with the 65" VA panel as of this writing) but a prime example of a current large screen LCD with a well driven IPS panel is the Sony X850D. Put that side by side with the 65" Vizio P with comparable calibration and identical content and the difference in clarity is apparent. Then again, in a blacked out room contrast will greatly favor the Vizio, so it all depends on one's use case/viewing environment/preference.

Zooport

Neo Member
I picked up a 55" Samsung KS7000 and it's probably the best TV I have used for gaming. The input lag is superb, 21ms I think on the Leo Bodnar. I played Guitar Hero for a bit after having put in a fair few hours on my old 40" 1080p Sony Bravia and it made a huge difference.

I could easily recommend it to anyone after an affordable UHDTV this year. Superb UHD HDR playback too, The Revenant and Life of Pi look outstanding.

EDIT:

I'd hold off on OLED for now. The technology is improving every year but it's still not quite there yet. I was set on getting the LG C6 but after demoing it and seeing it next to the Samsung KS8000 the LCD just performed better. You notice how the store demos for the OLED will rarely show you fast paced videos or sports. It will always be slow panning shots of very dark scenes contrasted wit white of some sort. Such as the Chess demo video or the panther stalking. It looks lovely but still needs a few more years development before it can be an everyday set. Image retention is also a concern when it comes to gaming, the input lag on this years panels are decent though, still a long way off the 20ms range on the Samsungs in Game mode.

Rodin

I picked up a 55" Samsung KS7000 and it's probably the best TV I have used for gaming. The input lag is superb, 21ms I think on the Leo Bodnar. I played Guitar Hero for a bit after having put in a fair few hours on my old 40" 1080p Sony Bravia and it made a huge difference.

I could easily recommend it to anyone after an affordable UHDTV this year. Superb UHD HDR playback too, The Revenant and Life of Pi look outstanding.

EDIT:

I'd hold off on OLED for now. The technology is improving every year but it's still not quite there yet. I was set on getting the LG C6 but after demoing it and seeing it next to the Samsung KS8000 the LCD just performed better. You notice how the store demos for the OLED will rarely show you fast paced videos or sports. It will always be slow panning shots of very dark scenes contrasted wit white of some sort. Such as the Chess demo video or the panther stalking. It looks lovely but still needs a few more years development before it can be an everyday set.
You may want to take a look at the RTINGS reviews of OLED TVs and what they say about watching sports on these sets. Yeah obviously a panel with 0.00001ms pixel response time is bad for sports and games. Yup.
/s

And i hope you're not saying that the KS8000 is better than the C6 based on what you saw in a store. Even the EG9100 looks better than that set, because as good as it is for a LED it's still a LED, so unless you really enjoy those greyish blacks, halos, clouding and motion blur...

Also, you say that OLED isn't quite there yet (i can agree on the fact that it's improving every year and it will still improve because the tech is fairly new) and people should hold off on buying one of those, so i'd like to know what you think about the fact that Samsung already showed an improved HDR that makes the current one look like crap and will be featured in next year's TVs, because it isn't compatible with the current HDMI standard. Maybe people should hold off on buying 2015-16 LEDs too then, especially considering that unlike OLED TVs, they don't even support Dolby Digital.

Image retention is also a concern when it comes to gaming, the input lag on this years panels are decent though, still a long way off the 20ms range on the Samsungs in Game mode.
Every tv is prone to IR, LED are generally less affected but it's a non-issue on OLEDs as well. I had a bit of IR after watching a game of Euro 2016 because the national TV has this fucking huge blue banner with the result on it, but even after two hours of displaying that shit it was absolutely non existent with normal TV usage. I had to pop in a test image on purpose, out of curiosity, to (barely) notice it was there and it disappeared after like 30 minutes anyway. 32ms input lag is plenty good for every gamer that doesn't play competitive Street Fighter and many of those people use old CRTs to avoid input lag, because LED with 20-25 ms still have 1-2 frames delay. Normal people that play normal games won't even notice the difference.

I got the Vizio P50-C1 and I'm actually oddly not pleased with it. I dunno. The colors just don't look right to me. Also I guess I'm used to a cooler sort of setting because normal looks bad to me as far as color calibration goes. I use computer.

For those interested in the LG OLEDs:

Beach Camera has the 55" C6 listed @ 2499 right now. 65" is 3999. It is showing up on their Amazon storefront at that price and website

I requested a PM with Amazon and they were happy to do so. So, ended up getting the C6 for 2499 shipped from Amazon.

not seeing that? did price go back up? maybe there's another price drop on sunday?

Quixzlizx

I got the Vizio P50-C1 and I'm actually oddly not pleased with it. I dunno. The colors just don't look right to me. Also I guess I'm used to a cooler sort of setting because normal looks bad to me as far as color calibration goes. I use computer.

Did you try the "Calibrated" and "Calibrated Dark" settings?

Fitts

Quick question to Kuro experts: do they all suffer from the "red tint" fault or are there panels that are free of defects? Thanks

There's no conclusive evidence to support an absolute, but seeing as how it's tied to a voltage regulation issue -- something other plasma manufacturers struggled with as well to varying degrees (see: the Panasonic 12th generation rapidly rising MLL fiasco) -- and the high hours of operation on those still in the wild I'd be willing to bet a majority percentage exhibit a tinting of some kind. Anecdotally, it seems to impact 9th generation Kuros more than 8 gens. It's also important to note that the "red tint" to the blacks doesn't always manifest identically on alll panels. I had a 101FD (the last display Pioneer produced) that developed a deep crimson tint while my 6020FD exhibited a more subtle purple hue. Both had a few thousand hours of use before it developed and the picture wasn't impacted in any other way besides the tinting "creeping" into areas that stayed solid black for an extended amount of time. (ex. letterboxing) It was also only perceptible in a completely blacked out environment and turning on any ambient lighting masked it completely. Fortunately for me I hate watching anything without having another light source present because focusing on a single source tends to hurt my eyes, (as does an overly bright display in general) so I only noticed it when calibrating.

What display are you coming from? Also, while it's recommended to calibrate your picture to as close as accurate as your television allows you're the one that ultimately needs to be satisfied with your purchase. I'm sure there are plenty of baseline "calibrated" settings floating around the internet thanks to the P series' popularity, so it wouldn't be a terrible idea to plug them in and resume your normal viewing habits for about a week. If you're not happy after that, go ahead and tweak to your heart's content. Even if you end up enjoying a vivid preset don't let anyone give you shit for your personal preferences, but do realize that you're a terrible person. ;)

moowear

Not sure if this has been answered but can the smartcast on the Vizio P series cast 4k from youtube or netflix? I'm looking at the p50.

*While I'm at it, I can't seem to find any definitive conclusions on the newly released M50-d1 Vs the P50-c1. Anyone have thoughts on them?

asdad123

GAF, I'm moving and need a new TV. My budget is approx. $2000 and I am looking between 65"-75".

The TV will be going in a 16' x 16' room and I am planning on putting it in the corner, and a sectional on the other corner, so obviously I'd be looking for the largest TV that good that I can afford. Any suggestions?

These are some that I was looking at;

Vizo M Series 70"

Samsung 70" UHD.

Vizio P Series 65" (Is the P series worth it over the M series? Same price, but 5" smaller)

I mean... I could go all out and spend $3300 on this Sony , but with all the renovations I'm paying for, I'd rather save the $1300.

Convince me to go all out GAF

MazeHaze

Banned
GAF, I'm moving and need a new TV. My budget is approx. $2000 and I am looking between 65"-75".

The TV will be going in a 16' x 16' room and I am planning on putting it in the corner, and a sectional on the other corner, so obviously I'd be looking for the largest TV that good that I can afford. Any suggestions?

These are some that I was looking at;

Vizo M Series 70"

Samsung 70" UHD.

Vizio P Series 65" (Is the P series worth it over the M series? Same price, but 5" smaller)

I mean... I could go all out and spend $3300 on this Sony , but with all the renovations I'm paying for, I'd rather save the $1300.

Convince me to go all out GAF
Go with vizio p65 or samsung 8000 or 9000. Vizio p is better than m by far.

You want the vizio p or the 8000 or 9000 samsung for the wide color gamut and hdr. If youre gonna drop that much cash right now, not getting good hdr is a bad call imo.

Also to moowear, i dont think you can cast 4k streaming from netflix, not sure about youtube. I know you cant do amazon.

asdad123

You want the vizio p or the 8000 or 9000 samsung for the wide color gamut and hdr. If youre gonna drop that much cash right now, not getting good hdr is a bad call imo.

Also to moowear, i dont think you can cast 4k streaming from netflix, not sure about youtube. I know you cant do amazon.

Is there anything around the corner coming out that's better in the same price range? Or that'll make the prices drop?

I could possibly hold off 2-3 months before buying.

Kyoufu

Is there anything around the corner coming out that's better in the same price range? Or that'll make the prices drop?

I could possibly hold off 2-3 months before buying.

If you can wait 2-3 months then maybe the 2016 OLEDs will drop price enough.

gsrjedi

Not sure if this has been answered but can the smartcast on the Vizio P series cast 4k from youtube or netflix? I'm looking at the p50.

*While I'm at it, I can't seem to find any definitive conclusions on the newly released M50-d1 Vs the P50-c1. Anyone have thoughts on them?

The P series can cast 4K video, and it can cast HDR if the network/show supports it.

J-Rzez

EDIT:

I'd hold off on OLED for now. The technology is improving every year but it's still not quite there yet. I was set on getting the LG C6 but after demoing it and seeing it next to the Samsung KS8000 the LCD just performed better. You notice how the store demos for the OLED will rarely show you fast paced videos or sports. It will always be slow panning shots of very dark scenes contrasted wit white of some sort. Such as the Chess demo video or the panther stalking. It looks lovely but still needs a few more years development before it can be an everyday set. Image retention is also a concern when it comes to gaming, the input lag on this years panels are decent though, still a long way off the 20ms range on the Samsungs in Game mode.

This post is like from a bizzare alternate universe. From talking the merits of a ks7000 for gaming, to somehow saying a ks8000 is better than an oled. Especially in motion where samsungs fall behind LGs oleds and Sony's leds. Especially since the demos at my best buy are the complete opposite with Samsung hiding behind their demos.

Image retention isn't a fear. My EF9500 in basically a year has had no retention, zero burn in. Only time I see it is at stores running the same bright color demos, in which the run nearly 24/7. You have to purposely try to ruin the set basically with bright prolonged static images.

Kyoufu

Not to mention, the 2016 OLEDs run compensation cycles in standby to clean up the panel. Not heard a single complaint from owners regarding image retention.

Heck, my 7 year old plasma doesn't have any either.

Caayn

Not to mention, the 2016 OLEDs run compensation cycles in standby to clean up the panel. Not heard a single complaint from owners regarding image retention.

2015 OLEDs also run compensation cycles as well.

I've put a good number of gaming hours on my eg920v and image retention has never been an issue let alone burn-in.

Yibby

You can see that LG Oleds have a technique to dim single pixels, if they haven't changed in a while. When watching sports, you can see that most of the time the scores are dimmed to prevent burn in.

Can anybody recommend me a good 40 inch 1080p set for 400 bucks max? I've been contemplating the kdl40600B which is older but I remember liking the picture quality. If there's anything better I'd be open to it.

Purexed

Banned

Yes they can. I have a 70 inch M series model and it's gorgeous!

asdad123

Been doing some more research.. I don't think I can justify the $3800 for the 75" P Series when the 70" M-Series 2016 is half the price of it. Looks like the 2016 version just came out recently and there aren't too many reviews so I'll wait for more to pop up.

Does anyone own a 2016 M-Series that could chime in?

MCD

I'm planning to make the jump to 4K with 2016 Samsung KS8500. This will replace my trusted 2012 VT20 Panasonic Plasma.

Will I regret abandoning my Plasma for 4k goodness?

One compromise I will have to do for now is switch to optical audio. Don't wanna bother buying a new shiny 4K receiver now. Maybe later.

flozuki

The E6 is basically the G6 without the 4.2 speaker system. Compared to the B6 you will get most likely the best 3D on the market (I know not many people are longing for it, but that is how 3D should have been from the beginning to get excited). You will not get the remote set of the higher class models with the B6. And the design is different, but this is pretty subjective and both look stellar in my opinion.

Unfortunately this is in German (G6), very interesting look into how the TV works:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOw-sgwQ2Gk

Here is a comparison of G6 and E6, they also reviewed the C6 which is basically the B6 with a curved design:
http://www.whathifi.com/features/lg-g6-vs-lg-e6-review-which-best-4k-oled-tv

As you can see, with the 2016 LG series you will get what the technology is capable of. It is currently the best TV (as a Pana fan I would have loved to get the Pana OLED but that is one expensive TV :-/), the German site even compared it to the Samsung 9590 in another video (since I read by someone in this thread that OLED can just produce dark scenes -->lol, of course they are showing dark scenes, because LCD will always struggle with that material. It is no magic to show bright scenes and - while LCD has in theory more brightness - you most likely will never force your TV so a backlight of 100 at home...at least I hope so). I had a Samsung KS9090 and exchanged it for the E6. Even though the Samsung was a fine (actually more than fine but I still wasn´t satisfied) TV if you have the cash do it. I won´t spoil the LCD but if you had the chance to compare both at home you will know that both technologies are currently at their maximum. In the end both technologies have their weaknesses, but this was always the case and always will be.

You may want to take a look at the RTINGS reviews of OLED TVs and what they say about watching sports on these sets. Yeah obviously a panel with 0.00001ms pixel response time is bad for sports and games. Yup.
/s

And i hope you're not saying that the KS8000 is better than the C6 based on what you saw in a store. Even the EG9100 looks better than that set, because as good as it is for a LED it's still a LED, so unless you really enjoy those greyish blacks, halos, clouding and motion blur...

Also, you say that OLED isn't quite there yet (i can agree on the fact that it's improving every year and it will still improve because the tech is fairly new) and people should hold off on buying one of those, so i'd like to know what you think about the fact that Samsung already showed an improved HDR that makes the current one look like crap and will be featured in next year's TVs, because it isn't compatible with the current HDMI standard. Maybe people should hold off on buying 2015-16 LEDs too then, especially considering that unlike OLED TVs, they don't even support Dolby Digital.

Every tv is prone to IR, LED are generally less affected but it's a non-issue on OLEDs as well. I had a bit of IR after watching a game of Euro 2016 because the national TV has this fucking huge blue banner with the result on it, but even after two hours of displaying that shit it was absolutely non existent with normal TV usage. I had to pop in a test image on purpose, out of curiosity, to (barely) notice it was there and it disappeared after like 30 minutes anyway. 32ms input lag is plenty good for every gamer that doesn't play competitive Street Fighter and many of those people use old CRTs to avoid input lag, because LED with 20-25 ms still have 1-2 frames delay. Normal people that play normal games won't even notice the difference.

Pretty much this. Technologies in general will always improve (Samsung tries their luck with an HDR10-boost so with all this chaos I actually would prefer that the industry settles on Dolby Vision). I am extremely happy with the 32 ms, even though I have to admit I was with LCDs in the 40s too. So the 32ms were actually a positive feature in my book, especially compared to last years OLEDs. Oh and regarding sports: I ditched my "old" Sammy because of soccer. The European Championship on OLED is pretty close if not an even match to my old Panasonic Plasma. I always was thirsty for a tv football broadcast with that quality again. The only negative for me really is the price but since I wasn´t 100% happy with my TVs in the last years I tried my luck, negotiated a little and was happy that it actually worked.

How far are people with 65 inch TVs sitting from them? I am afraid 65 inch might be too large, especially for gaming. I sit about 2.5-3m away.

MCD

Xbox one S is gonna support HDR10 only: http://www.polygon.com/2016/6/21/11996358/xbox-one-s-hdr-color-hdr10

Plus this bit:

Sony and Samsung are pushing the HDR10 format agreed on by the UHD (or Ultra HD, an industry term for 4K video) Alliance, an open standard established by members.

So there is Sony. I don't see Dolby Vision taking off. I know consoles aren't everything but I know for a fact that I made the jump to HD thanks to X360 and now I will make the jump to 4K thanks to X1 S/Scorpio. Just my two cents.

I also strongly believe Dolby Vision is going to be the superior thing just for the time until HDR10 unshits itself and then that becomes the standard.

I also strongly believe Dolby Vision is going to be the superior thing just for the time until HDR10 unshits itself and then that becomes the standard.

The few head to head tests have shown that on a premium TV, static HDR10 versus Dolby Vision content can look close to identical. Dolby Vision/Dynamic HDR10 are the every man's solution, however, since it can produce a better picture on a cheaper set.

While Dolby Vision will be a great solution for media capture, editing, etc., I don't think any of us should want a proprietary format to be the standard for video display. Hopefully Dynamic HDR10 will see wide acceptance.

Kyoufu

The few head to head tests have shown that on a premium TV, static HDR10 versus Dolby Vision content can look close to identical. Dolby Vision/Dynamic HDR10 are the every man's solution, however, since it can produce a better picture on a cheaper set.

While Dolby Vision will be a great solution for media capture, editing, etc., I don't think any of us should want a proprietary format to be the standard for video display. Hopefully Dynamic HDR10 will see wide acceptance.

The difference between DV and HDR10 is noticeable in favor of DV.

Like in this video for example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbTnGbPnCGQ

HDR has some catching up to do but I think DV is inevitably doomed if it doesn't see industry-wide support.

This post is like from a bizzare alternate universe. From talking the merits of a ks7000 for gaming, to somehow saying a ks8000 is better than an oled. Especially in motion where samsungs fall behind LGs oleds and Sony's leds. Especially since the demos at my best buy are the complete opposite with Samsung hiding behind their demos.

Image retention isn't a fear. My EF9500 in basically a year has had no retention, zero burn in. Only time I see it is at stores running the same bright color demos, in which the run nearly 24/7. You have to purposely try to ruin the set basically with bright prolonged static images.

This. I have the 9600 and there's 0 image retention. The TV is simply better than all of the others.

Neither does my other Panny. Just treat the sets right.

Top Bottom