• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA: We meant we'd have microtransactions in all our mobile games, not all our games

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
They will have DLC and additional content in all their games however.

Though uh, as Mass Effect and Dead Space show, they obviously intend for microtransactions in some of their other games too.

Polygon said:
Speaking at today's Wedbush Technology Conference in New York City, Jorgensen said that last week's statement was more in reference to some of the new technology that EA is working on that will allow the publisher and developer to handle in-house credit card processing, digital downloads and "manage a world in which there are more and more micro-transactions as part of what we offer."

"I made a statement in the conference along the lines of 'We'll have micro-transactions in our games' and the community read that to mean all our games, and that's really not true," he said. "All of our mobile games will have micro-transactions in them, because almost all of them are going to a world where they are play for free."

During today's talk, Jorgensen went on to talk about Electronic Arts published racing iOS game Real Racing, noting that someone could play the game for free or pay to upgrade and repair their vehicles.

"You could play this game for the next three years and never pay a penny on it," he said, "or you could play and immediately upgrade and get more excited about the game. Consumers love that."

Jorgensen went on to say that for non-mobile games EA is looking at the sort of additional transactions that are more like extensions of a product then like a microtransaction. One example, he said, is Battlefield Premium, which helps the publisher extend the life of the shooter.

"It allows someone to take a game that maybe they played for 1,000 hours and play it for 2,000 hours," he said. "We are very conscious that we don't want to make consumers feel like they're not getting value. We want to make sure consumers are getting value.

"The real core of the microtransaction business is within the mobile part of our business which is the free-to-play business."
Source: http://www.polygon.com/2013/3/6/407...ansactions-in-all-future-games-exec-clarifies

Espada

Ehh, too little too late there EA. No one really believes this either, they stand to make far too much money for them to pass up on it.

EMT0

Banned
If the only thing EA did to their core games was DLC like Battlefield Premium, you'd see a whole lot more faith in EA to deliver. Shame that isn't the case.

x-Lundz-x

I think Dead Space 3 has showed we're still going to see microtransactions in their console titles as well.

Funny thing I played the entire game and got every weapon, circuit and everything else without paying an extra penny.

Just because they are there doesn't mean you have to buy them. It's not like they locked out content that the only possible way to get was to pay money for them.

You could play Real Racing like that, but the game is clearly built to discourage it. If you want a smooth, enjoyable experience - especially if you're limited for time to play - you're going to want to pay. It's awful design, and the worrying thing here is that he's holding it up as a good example.

I didn't mean it baby, come on just the tip.

Oh, fuck. The comment was funny enough, but then I read the username... :-D

This feels relevant somehow:

wUT27Hh.png

That's nice EA. Micro-transactions to you means "no-transactions" from me. Like Real Racing 3. Deleted it the second I hit the paywall. I was just curious to see how long it would take. About an hour and a half by the way. Had you made me of an offer of $10 or even a little higher for RR3, I would have bought it. Instead, nothing.

I think Dead Space 3 has showed we're still going to see microtransactions in their console titles as well.

I would suggest that EA are probably looking at adding the value of that stuff into the game and not making it need transactions. Basically a version of the golden tanooki suit.

Well they should be as obviously microtransactions are not driving sales of the game itself; am assuming the pick up is low but who knows.

If people need these things in games for them to actually value the game, put it in the game; but if you have to pay more you are basically adding to the price of the game. Making the value proposition worse when you could make it far better.

It does sound like damage-control, but I'm not too bothered as long as it's an unobtrusive option similar to Dead Space 3 or ME3. Maybe this is a bit of a reach, but I'm sure the majority of the gaming community and consumer-base will find it tolerable at the least.

Start going the Blacklight/Final Fantasy: All the Bravest route on purchased games though and, well, can't say the company wasn't warned.

RdN

If they do more micro transactions like in ME3, where a lot of content was released free of charge and they do not interfere with the game, I'm more than OK with it.

dose

Yeh right. He didn't mention mobile, he specifically said "We are building into all of our games".

Aaron

Betting $10 that Dragon Age 3 is loaded with microtransactions for hot loot for your elf.
The original Dragon Age had a character asking in game if you wanted to buy a microtransaction. If anything, that series has gotten better about it.

DTKT

If they do more micro transactions like in ME3, where a lot of content was released free of charge and they do not interfere with the game, I'm more than OK with it.

That's probably the only right way to use that model.

VariantX

yeah, im finding it difficult to believe that this company of all game companies, would not be frothing at the mouth to find new ways to make money off of people.

Tymerend

As far as real racing goes, to unlock everything you kinda HAVE to play for the next three years if you don't want to pay. It's a horrible model, but the game is free, so whatever works for them.

I don't enjoy seeing microtransactions in a game I paid full price for, though. I understand I don't HAVE to pay, I get that I can vote with my wallet and not purchase anything, but that doesn't change the fact that for me, personally, it leaves a bad taste.

I would be incredibly surprised if EA releases a game on ANY platform going forward that does not include microtransations.

I don't enjoy seeing microtransactions in a game I paid full price for, though. I understand I don't HAVE to pay, I get that I can vote with my wallet and not purchase anything, but that doesn't change the fact that for me, personally, it leaves a bad taste.

And that's not a bad thing. It's not that folks such as myself who tolerate their inclusion and don't hold it against the game like that they are there. We'd prefer if it wasn't, and it does leave that bad taste and a sense of foreshadowing.

Jack_AG

Banned
EA said:
I made a statement in the conference along the lines of 'We'll have micro-transactions in our games' and the community read that to mean all our games, and that's really not true," he said. "All of our mobile games will have micro-transactions in them, because almost all of them are going to a world where they are play for free
It wouldn't be an EA backpedal if they didn't throw it in our faces that we misunderstood them.

But they did actually say "all":
EA said:
We're building into all of our games the ability to pay for things along the way

But no - we silly stupid gamers do not understand what "all of our games" means. That really only means "mobile".

Damage control and spin is through the roof, yeesh.

QaaQer

Their strategy is to make something that allows whales to pay hundreds of dollars in a game. And they want that in every game. Right now they are fishing about for a workable method to do that in full priced retail games (dead space 3) and full priced DD games (simcity). Will it work? Personally, I doubt it because it is hard enough to make compelling gameplay when your only goal is compelling gameplay. Trying to do that and shoe horn in things like microtransactions or auction houses or whatever, well it would take a true genius to pull that off.

How great would have Simcity and DIII been if the game designers were told: just make the best gameplay you can. I'm guessing we'd have true single player action, mod creation kits, and a super vibrant community as well as games with a 10 year lifespan. Instead we are left with DIII being just another game, and Simcity taking it's direction from farmville.

For me, all this does is drive me further away from EA (and Blizzard) games. And no, I don't believe the new EA statement.

Did they release a single game without microtransactions since that statement? No? Okay.

Did they release a single game since that statement?

Their strategy is to make something that allows whales to pay hundreds of dollars in a game. And they want that in every game. Right now they are fishing about for a workable method to do that in full priced retail games (dead space 3) and full priced DD games (simcity). Will it work? Personally, I doubt it because it is hard enough to make compelling gameplay when your only goal is compelling gameplay. Trying to do that and shoe horn in things like microtransactions or auction houses or whatever, well it would take a true genius to pull that off.

I thought Dead Space 3 did it extremely well. The only issue I had with it was that the in-game method was still tied to [shitty] EA servers, and therefore what you received wasn't saved, despite your transaction of ration seals being saved from what I recall.

Put in the off-line component completely separate from EA servers, and it should be fine.

Orayn

That's probably the only right way to use that model.

Pretty much. The ideal role of microtransactions is as a donation box that provides rewards that are either cosmetic, or minor conveniences that barely touch core gameplay, if at all.

Terra_Ex

No one cares EA, you're going to find some way to ruin your IPs regardless, if not this I'm sure you'll have other brilliant scheme to swindle customers in the future.

too funny.

it's great to see though just how young this industry is... the people running it dont even know the proper workings of business strategy etc yet. and with tech moving at such a fast pace it is hard for them to keep up working the crowd, without any blunders

Top Bottom