• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple and Amazon lay foundation for 'used' Digital goods

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apple has filed a patent application for transferring "used" digital goods like MP3s, e-books and apps from one user to another, similar to a patent for a "secondary market for digital objects" awarded to Amazon just last month. The filing indicates that Apple may be thinking about setting up its own marketplace or lending library for the transfer of user-owned digital content — one that original content creators and owners could get behind.

Both patents describe systems where a user could transfer a piece of digital content (i.e., an e-book or film) to another user in exchange for payment (or perhaps another item), not unlike Amazon's third-party marketplace for used physical goods. There are two big differences between Apple's and Amazon's systems. Apple proposes that an (unspecified) portion of the proceeds from the sale of a piece of digital content go to the original creator or publisher of the content, ensuring that the original owner can still generate revenue beyond the initial release period. Amazon suggests limiting the total number of times an item can be transferred, or resold. In theory, that could prevent the secondary market from becoming overrun with far cheaper copies, thus devaluing the original.

http://mashable.com/2013/03/08/apple-amazon-used-goods-marketplaces/

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
This seems dumb. Used copies of physical books are reduced in price for a reason, why reduce the price of a 'used' (or whatever) copy of a digital book? Does the person then lose that copy of the book?

It's modeling the digital system around the physical system, but there is no reason to do so. Just make digital books cheaper off the bat!

Pre-emptive move after the ruling against Steam in Europe.

We should thank the EU for looking out for consumer rights. Had it not been for them, I doubt this would ever have happened.

Guevara

Pre-emptive move after the ruling against Steam in Europe.

We should thank the EU for looking out for consumer rights. Had it not been for them, I doubt this would ever have happened.

I also agree with this. The EU has been militantly pro-consumer rights recently. It's heartwarming to see.

Vyer

Apple proposes that an (unspecified) portion of the proceeds from the sale of a piece of digital content go to the original creator or publisher of the content, ensuring that the original owner can still generate revenue beyond the initial release period.

I think that's awesome, and certainly helps with the problem some people have with 'used' stuff.

Guevara

Someone explain this to me. Digital goods don't degrade. "Used" isn't a thing because there's no wear & tear.

Everything degrades, the only difference is the speed. Eventually all your digital books and music will enter the public domain (well, probably at least) and the value will be effectively zero. It just might take 100+ years instead of 50 years for a real book (to become worthless through wear and tear) or 20 years for a physical CD.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
You guys also probably need to realize for something like this to work, it would require some crazy DRM infrastructure.

That music would have to tightly tied to Amazon (for example) so when you 'sold it used', you would lose your copy.

You guys also probably need to realize for something like this to work, it would require some crazy DRM infrastructure.

That music would have to tightly tied to Amazon (for example) so when you 'sold it used', you would lose your copy.
You only need a system like this when you're dealing with DRM.

zychi

Banned
isn't this basically a "legal" version of piracy? if they follow through with this, they'll have to turn all of those mpaa copyright laws around.
KuGsj.gif

Phoenix

You only need a system like this when you're dealing with DRM.

Indeed. If there is DRM, there is no need to "sell" anything as free transfer is already possible. This move seems to harken the return of DRM in some new sinister always-on Cloud form.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom