• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heads-up for PC Gamers -- new malware iehighutil.exe will FRY your GPU via Java

FINALBOSS

Banned
Hey guys.

Just a headsup--I noticed my display driver crashing quite a bit today and no clue what was going on. My pc is brand new too so I was going insane.

I finally saw a process running called iehighutil.exe (with an IE icon) running and installed to C:\Temporary. Apparently this is a program that mines bitcoins (whatever the hell that is) thanks to a recent java exploit.

There's barely any info out on the web about it atm, so I figured I'd throw a headsup. If you're having any problems like I described, I'd most certainly check for that.

It is NOT detected by any spyware/anti-virus either at the moment.

Wasn't sure where to post this--so please move if necessary <3

Katyusha

Everyone that posts in the "I need a new PC" thread is well aware of this, but thanks for the heads up anyways.

jaxword

Thanks for the headsup. Running a norton scan right now.

Edit--100% clean. Haven't really changed or installed anything in the past few months so that's to be expected.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Fucking Java. I'm glad I refuse to install it on any of my computers.

Garou

The need for Java has fallen off quite a bit in the last few years, if you are not using some specific Java-(Web)app, just uninstall the whole JavaVM.

It's usually inserted into pirated content by nefarious uploaders looking to trick people with decent graphics cards. Shouldn't get it unless you're downloading programs/games from untrustworthy sources (e.g. anything from torrents or file upload services).

yamo

The need for Java has fallen off quite a bit in the last few years, if you are not using some specific Java-(Web)app, just uninstall the whole JavaVM.

The only Java related software I have to uninstall on my computer is "JavaFX 2.1.1" and "Java 7 Update 17". Is that the same as JavaVM?

mr_toa

The only Java related software I have to uninstall on my computer is "JavaFX 2.1.1" and "Java 7 Update 17". Is that the same as JavaVM?

That's affirmative - it's the parts which makes up the standard Java 7 package (which includes the Java Virtual Machine amongst other bits and pieces).

Persona7

Banned
Thanks for the headsup. Running a norton scan right now.

Edit--100% clean. Haven't really changed or installed anything in the past few months so that's to be expected.

If it is a zero day exploit then it won't be picked up until the AV vendor can include it in a signatures file.

Eh, suddenly Java is evil? What?

I am currently still working on and procrastinating fixing my own computer that the GPU was clearly overheating. But I doubt I had a virus of any sort. I made heavy use of adblock plus and NoScript and didn't go to any seedy websites at all period during my use of the gaming PC.

Speaking of which, I need to hurry up and get on to finishing up my computer build. I've just been so pre-occupied with replacing some old furniture and fixing the house. The house needs a lot of work right now. And having my gaming PC out of commission got me away from playing video games and realizing that I need to do some house-work.

Sissel

Funny enough in class today my professor who knows a ton about computers was talking about how horrible java is when it comes to viruses and that you should remove it from your pc asap

mrgone

At the very least, if you're keeping it around to play Minecraft or whatever, make sure the browser plugin's disabled/removed.

itxaka

Defeatist
Days since the last 0-day exploit for java=6
http://java-0day.com/

Java is a piece of Shit, period. There is no reason to keep using it outside of stupid workplaces which have crazy old apps running. It's a huge vector for attacks.

And no, you don't need to pirate games to get a 0day. Don't spread that FUD

Leucrota

At the very least, if you're keeping it around to play Minecraft or whatever, make sure the browser plugin's disabled/removed.

If you have the plugin disabled, that should be enough, unless you download compromised code which a JAVA exploit is piggybacking on.

KDR_11k

Java had some major security issues recently and Oracle is notoriously bad at patching. You can catch a virus through a nasty embedded Java applet in practically any website, only a few days ago a hacker inserted such an applet into a university homepage. Since Java runs as a plugin in your browser you don't have to download anything.

You can disable the Java browser plugin if you need the JVM for e.g. Minecraft, that way you don't have to completely uninstall it. This will prevent browser-based exploits and only allows things you download to infect you (and that's possible with or without Java).

Derrick01

Banned
So we're talking about the Java that is really not needed at all right, and not the other one (javascript I think)? I uninstalled Java and turned it off in the browser months ago when all those huge exploits were happening.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
I only have Java installed to play Minecraft. Sucks that Notch makes the game use Java.

Especially since they paid to port the game to C++ for the 360 and mobile platforms. It'd be nice if he took a little bit of that giant pile of cash he sleeps on and spent it on doing right by his customers.

I'm a little bitter, if you can't tell.

No such virus here thankfully:p

lol at people blaming reloaded.

Browsing with javascript enabled is the biggest threat for virusses.
The only keylogger I've ever had on my pc was from a java ad on a huge popular legit website, you didn't need to click it just be on the page where it was displayed.
It could happen on gaf too.

Pretty sure, people with $1000 cards wouldn't be doing activities that could get them that virus.

I'm not trying to say anything bad about anyone here but there are people in this world who buy expensive £500 phones only to pirate 69p apps.

Still, anyone with one of those titans should be taking care of it like a baby with such an asking price.

Top Bottom