• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung prototype gamepad for phones

fuenf

From Engadget: http://www.engadget.com/2013/03/14/samsung-prototype-wireless-game-pad-hands-on/

CcwgfUp.jpg

Engadget said:
Samsung doesn't have a formal name for it just yet, but this concept device is expected to launch sometime this summer. It's basically a first-party Bluetooth controller with a full complement of face buttons, dual analog sticks, a D-pad and even shoulder buttons on the back. It's powered by dual AAA batteries and connects wirelessly, the phone held in place by an expanding clamp up top that looks plenty big enough to support a Note II (we tried, it fit fine) and maybe even something like the Note 8.0!

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Bout time one of the bigger players did this. Devs still have to support it of course, but Samsung pushing this could make a splash.

Samsung: Let's make a go-to controller peripheral for android games.
Everyone: Yay!
Samsung: It features the popular XBox 360's controller layout and face buttons!
Everyone: Yay!
Samsung: AND ITS SHITTY D-PAD
Everyone: D:

Flatline

Banned
Jesus Christ they even ripped off the button colors. Are they fucking serious?

edit: This must be approved by Microsoft. There's no other explanation.

ReaperXL7

I actually saw something in toys r us the other day, I think it was called "Moga" or something similar, has anyone actually bought one of these, do they actually work well. Seems like it could be a good idea for allot of games on mobile devices that suck with touch controls.

*edit* yep found it

PowerA-Moga.jpeg

BiggNife

Nintendo circle pads and 360 d-pad,why getting the absolute worst for your controller thingy?

I don't see anything wrong with 3DS-style circle pad as long as it feels as comfortable as the one on the 3DS. I've never had a problem with it.

Conversely, I have an android clip-on controller I got for free called the PowerA Moga which has similar control pads but they just feel...off. Like they're too stiff, and don't feel as comfortable on the thumb. It's much better than touch screen analog sticks, but that isn't exactly a high benchmark.

Cidd

This is what the PS Vita should have been, A smartphone with a controller attachment sold in a bundle, Sony dropped the ball.

javac

Mobile games getting 1 step closer to becoming playable. Now you need to build deeper games around that controller.

That's the thing, it'll be helpful for a few of the more deeper games, and ones that work better with say a d-pad. But for most phone games it would be unnecessary. A lot of people point to the graphics and say they look good. Most mobile games do look good, they just need to make the games a lot deeper and improve them animations.

There are a few deep game experiences on mobiles today, I'll give them that, but not enough to warrant this beast.

Mobile games getting 1 step closer to becoming playable. Now you need to build deeper games around that controller.

And about 10 steps back when it comes to portability. Part of the appeal of mobile gaming is that it's one relatively small and thin device that does everything. If it doesn't easily fit in a jeans pocket, it's not worth shit nowadays.

DaBoss

Who's actually going to be carrying around that peripheral?

And about 10 steps back when it comes to portability. Part of the appeal of mobile gaming is that it's one relatively small and thin device that does everything. If it doesn't easily fit in a jeans pocket, it's not worth shit nowadays.

This.

despite only being a prototype I don't think this would sell at all. would people who even play games on their phones wanna carry this around with them ?

synce

Whenever someone pulls out one of those ridiculously oversized phones I have to resist the urge to laugh... But if I see this thing in public I may just lose it.

I actually saw something in toys r us the other day, I think it was called "Moga" or something similar, has anyone actually bought one of these, do they actually work well. Seems like it could be a good idea for allot of games on mobile devices that suck with touch controls.

*edit* yep found it

PowerA-Moga.jpeg

It works, but has a strange issue where it will disconnect with my phone anytime I actually clamp it into the device. Otherwise, works as a great little bluetooth controller.

This looks much better though. Aping the 360 layout is smart. But these things live or die by the developer integration, so we'll have to see.

Hatten

Change those shitty analogs and Dpad and I'm in

About support the Galaxy series is only second to iphones in terms of sales so pretty much every dev out there is going to support this.

Personally a Galaxy with built in controllers would be better, but this is better than nothing.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Samsung sure loves to copy popular stuff... goddamn. That's pretty egregious.

Harlock

Going to be perfect for the free FPS in mobile phones. A lot of adult males, opressed by your wifes, ony have the cellphone to play games.

whitehawk

Banned
These types of controllers would be great for long bus/car rides, but not for quickly pulling out of your pocket for some quick gaming.

Top Bottom