• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SAMSUNG enters the videogame market/another court room?

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
So uh:

samcondsc08035.jpg

We just wrapped up the unveiling of the Samsung Galaxy S 4 and, while the hardware of the phone itself held few surprises, this accessory did. Samsung doesn't have a formal name for it just yet, but this concept device is expected to launch sometime this summer. It's basically a first-party Bluetooth controller with a full complement of face buttons, dual analog sticks, a D-pad and even shoulder buttons on the back. It's powered by dual AAA batteries and connects wirelessly, the phone held in place by an expanding clamp up top that looks plenty big enough to support a Note II (we tried, it fit fine) and maybe even something like the Note 8.0!

Again, no pricing or details at this point, but it certainly felt nicer than your average Bluetooth controller. And, hopefully, that it's made by Samsung means we'll see widespread support.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/03/14/samsung-prototype-wireless-game-pad-hands-on/#continued

Et tu, Microsoft?

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
I'm not even sure I trust how it's held in or whatever. Looks... awful prone to just flop out and destroy your £400 smartphone as you hammer the d-pad and scream "WHY OF ALL D-PADS WHY"

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Or because they aren't first party

Yeah, sadly people will buy anything Samsung throw at them right now despite of the quality,if Samsung said this is the next big thing people should buy they will blindly buy it...just like that garbage overpriced Galaxy camera.

javac

I'm not even sure I trust how it's held in or whatever. Looks... awful prone to just flop out and destroy your £400 smartphone as you hammer the d-pad and scream "WHY OF ALL D-PADS WHY"

Imagine using the Floating Touch tech to play games, like kinect on a phone.
Please no

Yeah, sadly people will buy anything Samsung throw at them right now despite of the quality,if Samsung said this is the next big thing people should buy they will blindly buy it...just like that garbage overpriced Galaxy camera.

Why you gotta be so salty just because the Vita is selling like garbage?

Pie and Beans

Imagine using the Floating Touch tech to play games, like kinect on a phone.
Please no

Better than Kinect 1.0. It can track at least one of my fingers!

statham

too many buttons, portable games controllers should have 2 sticks, 2 face buttons and maybe a finger button. stop trying to totally coping big game movement/gameplay.

scosher

Idea is great.

Design is horrible.

Sony should copy the idea immediately, and release a PSN app for Android/iPhone to play any game in your PSN library.

too many buttons, portable games controllers should have 2 sticks, 2 face buttons and maybe a finger button. stop trying to totally coping big game movement/gameplay.

those weird buttons on top are weird, but the rest of the controller looks like it'd be fine/great. and you can just ignore the top row buttons, theyre out of the way anyway.

this thing is kinda awesome.

modern combat 4 might be tolerable on this thing.

Coolwhip

Banned
Was going to make a thread about it. I'm curious if Samsung is serious about entering the console/handheld gaming market. If millions of Samsung users can just play some games on their tv, there goes another bite from the console market.

AK6VOYv.jpg

zvDCzFy.jpg

those are exactly the same as 360 buttons...

but sammy and ms often seem fairly close (I recall some sort of comarketing of Sammy TV's at Xbox events), so maybe it was allowed.

I still really like the idea. Sonic looks like it'd be really fun there. Most people already have a phone, even if it may not be as advanced as GS4. Price this at $30 or something and I could see a lot of (more core perhaps) people getting their gaming fill at home from their smartphone (which would be bad for consoles)

Paertan

This kind of thing could be a huge problem for the console market. Lots of parents no longer need to buy a console for their kids.
So I really don't want it to become popular, at the same time I really want it myself XD

Was going to make a thread about it. I'm curious if Samsung is serious about entering the console/handheld gaming market. If millions of Samsung users can just play some games on their tv, there goes another bite from the console market.

AK6VOYv.jpg

zvDCzFy.jpg

I really like the idea. The controller is clunky at the moment but it is just a prototype.

Laguna

Banned
This kind of thing could be a huge problem for the console market. Lots of parents no longer need to buy a console for their kids.
So I really don't want it to become popular, at the same time I really want it myself XD

Iit will be more a problem for handhelds that actually bet on smartphone games ports. But I agree that it could have an impact on other systems aswell but not as much due to their software strategy.

$h@d0w

This is a brilliant play by Samsung, get Android games on the TV via the phone in your pocket. The controller could just live on the coffee table.

The hardware in the S4 must be better than the Ouya as well right?

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Does it even matter this is "first party"? I mean, maybe if it was Apple, but this is just one manufacturer of many of Android phones. It's only first party for those who buy Samsung. Possibly not even all of their own phones are compatible with it (or games). If Alienware put out a controller it wouldn't be a first party PC controller for all. Nice features though, if ugly.

Top Bottom