• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SAMSUNG enters the videogame market/another court room?

cacildo

So is this used to play only angry birds or this also works on the horrendous crappy game they said it was "just like Shadowrun!" and i bought it for $3 and i will hate myself for the rest of my life because of it?

On a serious note, it is surprising they're not (openly) considering the home console market, they're probably the only company with the resources to do a 'X-Box' type entry into the market.

..maybe they should buy Nintendo.

pswii60

If Apple does this for their 7th generation devices, then the Vita can kiss itself goodbye.

I think the latter will happen with or without Apple doing anything like this.

That aside, I hope Apple themselves does release a controller add-on for iPhone. We'll never see any decent support for third party devices.

Shadders

On a serious note, it is surprising they're not (openly) considering the home console market, they're probably the only company with the resources to do a 'X-Box' type entry into the market.

At the moment, with all the pundits saying the home console market is dying, I can't imagine why anyone would jump into that space.

If they did though, they should partner with Disney, would give them a catalogue of loved characters right off the bat, and the combined muscle of Samsung and Disney would be enough to crash the party I'd have thought.

Coolwhip

Banned

Why would they though, if they can do it like this? Phones are becoming more and more powerful, the native resolution of the S4 is even 1080p >_>

Mikeside

Wasn't there a lot of noise recently about Samsung acquiring a lot of game developers over the past 18 months?

Wouldn't be surprised if they give something like the Galaxy S5 a bundled (optional) controller and a Samsung branded game store with some 1st party titles.

I think the latter will happen with or without Apple doing anything like this.

That aside, I hope Apple themselves does release a controller add-on for iPhone. We'll never see any decent support for third party devices.

Or just publish a standard for controller inputs and make some sort of API. Then they could let hardware companies make different controllers.

DJMicLuv

If Apple does this for their 7th generation devices, then the Vita can kiss itself goodbye.

But that would require the Vita to split in two? Are you seriously suggesting that Sony, of all companies, are planning to release mini Vitas in packs to two? You must be out of your mind if you really expect Sony to manufacture tiny Vitas with the ability to kiss each other. I suppose you also believe that Microsoft are currently prototyping microscopic crying XBoxes to sell in bags of 50?

Well I, for one, certainly don't!

javac

But that would require the Vita to split in two? Are you seriously suggesting that Sony, of all companies, are planning to release mini Vitas in packs to two? You must be out of your mind if you really expect Sony to manufacture tiny Vitas with the ability to kiss each other. I suppose you also believe that Microsoft are currently prototyping microscopic crying XBoxes to sell in bags of 50?

Well I, for one, certainly don't!

He's saying that if Apple make a controller like this for the iPhone, it'll greatly effect the handheld market. I don't know where you got two vita's from? Regardless of the vita form factor, an official gaming pad from apple could be big. Do I agree? I don't know, but it's a valid sentiment.

What purpose would a Vita that splits in half have? This splits in half because its an add-on for a phone, a vita that has removable buttons would be pointless, unless your taking about portability, but vita only does gaming well, nothing else really. Why would I carry a vita that can't play games?

Jackano

AK6VOYv.jpg

The f**k is going on in this pic? Am I the only one who think that this setup is dumb?
You don't use the phone interface, but a regular controller in addition, and you don't use the phone screen, but the TV instead. Your phone is basically a parasite in your living room, who just use its processor and need other devices to live. And how do you do if someone call you?

javac

The f**k is going on in this pic? Am I the only one who think that this setup is dumb?
You don't use the phone interface, but a regular controller in addition, and you don't use the phone screen, but the TV instead. Your phone is basically a parasite in your living room, who just use its processor and need other devices to live. And how do you do if someone call you?

The idea behind it is the phone becomes a mini console, a hub so to speak. Kinda similar to people wanting the ability to plug your vita into the TV and use a dualshock to play in your TV for example. TV out is a big feature. Sure there is stuff like airplay but this gives you a 'proper' controller, and maybe less lag?

Takao

Banned
He's saying that if Apple make a controller like this for the iPhone, it'll greatly effect the handheld market. I don't know where you got two vita's from? Regardless of the vita form factor, an official gaming pad from apple could be big. Do I agree? I don't know, but it's a valid sentiment.

What purpose would a Vita that splits in half have? This splits in half because its an add-on for a phone, a vita that has removable buttons would be pointless, unless your taking about portability, but vita only does gaming well, nothing else really. Why would I carry a vita that can't play games?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2z8mCAP9vMU

My first instinct was also to mock this but guys...

They are trying to put buttons into shitty mobile games, which is the very basic prereq to making them a lot less shitty.
We should encourage these kind of attempts.

Harlock

This is more huge than appears. An official joystick adaptar make traditional games much more viable in an open system. Maybe too much open. But it not going to be like a third party controller that only a couple of games support. Every new android game with virtual pad should support that. And Apple still attached to Steve Jobs memory to do something similar.

PSGames

But the fact that so many people don't know that is exactly why it's a great move for Samsung to make and advertise a 1st party one.

What makes or breaks a system is games. Android is sorely lacking in this area compared to even the iPhone not to mention dedicated gaming machines. And I doubt anyone would want to tie up their phone to a TV for hours playing a game. The main purpose of a smartphone is communication.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Wonder if Ouya devs would jump on porting their stuff to this and whatever audience such a peripheral collects. Don't want to get one just for a small pitter patter of interesting indie stuff, thus this would be an ideal solution for me :D

yeah, i'll stick to using the DS3 and Wii Remote...

Samsung gonna Samsung indeed

:lol

This is a brilliant play by Samsung, get Android games on the TV via the phone in your pocket. The controller could just live on the coffee table.

The hardware in the S4 must be better than the Ouya as well right?

brah, the hardware in the S3 is better than Ouya.

This has existed for years tho.

but an official accessory like this may actually be in carrier stores and electronics stores.

http://i.imgur.com/AK6VOYv.jpg

answer on your bluetooth headset?

Maybe it donf fit in there

it fits 4"-6.3" devices apparently.

'what 6.3" devices?' ... stay tuned...

massoluk

Banned
What they should have done is adding buttons to their GS3 flip cover and some kind of clasping/holding mechanism. That's really all there is to it. This shit is not catching on because it's missed the point of being portable.

Something like this, but thinner, with buttons and analog pad instead of keyboard.
KRSLIDETLGAS3WT.jpg

shandy706

Haha, I don't care if Samsung copies Apple or Microsoft. I find it entertaining.

I don't own any Samsung hardware though...I don't think. I have an iPhone, a 360, a Vita..etc....so I'm not interested.

Apple people that threw a fit over Samsung's stuff crack me up too.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
This is more huge than appears. An official joystick adaptar make traditional games much more viable in an open system. Maybe too much open. But it not going to be like a third party controller that only a couple of games support. Every new android game with virtual pad should support that. And Apple still attached to Steve Jobs memory to do something similar.

Considering iOS is the premier platform for smartphone gaming, i think it has been a missed opportunity. But Apple is too cool to rock a game pad on their product portfolio. I bet if this was pitched to Steve back while he still was around the verbal beat down is still echoing in their offices.

AK6VOYv.jpg

lol this is the shit, that is going to kill console gaming

This is a brilliant play by Samsung, get Android games on the TV via the phone in your pocket. The controller could just live on the coffee table.

The hardware in the S4 must be better than the Ouya as well right?

lol there's been entirely decent ios and android controllers for a while now and this one has worse form factor. If you're going to copy a design, leave out the hilariously bad part (dpad).

I like, I just hope they open it up to so that anyone can make one. Maybe we get a high end one with a Nintendo d-pad.

That plus WHDI would make it very worthwhile.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Does it even matter this is "first party"? I mean, maybe if it was Apple, but this is just one manufacturer of many of Android phones. It's only first party for those who buy Samsung. Possibly not even all of their own phones are compatible with it (or games). If Alienware put out a controller it wouldn't be a first party PC controller for all. Nice features though, if ugly.

This manufacturer controls like 40% of the android market now.

Maybe something like this will make a change, but I still don't think the issue with smartphone gaming is all "lol touchscreen". Adding a controller still doesn't change the fact that 99.9% of smartphone games suck.

muddream

Banned
I don't know what's funnier: that even kickstarter-funded hardware looks more expensive than samsung or that they seemingly made an effort to copy the worst parts of other controllers.

khaaan

I guess this could go either way.

A peripheral like this means they're trying to show their official support of games that require more than just a touch interface. I think it's safe to say that this isn't going to be a pack-in and adoption is going to be left up to the consumers, so who is the most inclined to buy it and for what titles? Tech savvy consumers are at the very least aware that there are multiple options out there for Android controller support so what's our incentive to get this? What about consumers who aren't extremely dedicated to gaming? This thing is two shoulder buttons shy of matching console controllers but we've already seen that this type of interface just doesn't click with the masses. What kind of a game will need to exist for those users to get this? I definitely don't see your average Angry Birds/Jet Pack Joy Ride/Temple Run player being excited by this.

Futureman

Look out nvidia Shiled!

you might be joking, but I don't see why.

Why would the general populace buy something like the Shield when you can buy a cheap attachment like this and hook it into the phone you already own?

you might say, but why does anyone buy a 3DS? well exclusive games. Shield is just another Android device.

udivision

Idk, I still feel like handhelds can only continue exist as long as cellphone companies allow them to. They wouldn't even need to bundle a controller with the phone, just use some of that ad money to create a series of ads that position the phone as a gaming console as well, showing off any potential controller add-on. But that's typically not their philosophy I guess...

Top Bottom