• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Civilization V: Brave New World official (summer 2013)

Kifimbo

PR:

2K Announces Sid Meier’s Civilization® V: Brave New World Expansion Pack
Second massive expansion for critically acclaimed Civilization V features new gameplay systems, strategies, scenarios and more

NEW YORK--(BUSINESS WIRE)--2K and Firaxis Games announced today that Sid Meier's Civilization® V: Brave New World, the second expansion pack for the award-winning Civilization V, is currently in development and will be released this summer for Windows-based PC and brought to the Mac® by Aspyr Media. Sid Meier's Civilization V: Brave New World brings a massive amount of new gameplay to the Civilization V experience, providing gamers with even more rewarding ways to achieve world domination.

“Brave New World is destined to continue the strong Civilization lineage that already includes massive expansions such as Civilization IV: Beyond the Sword and Civilization V: Gods & Kings.”

.“Civilization V: Brave New World continues the strong tradition of ambitious expansion packs that fans have come to expect from the Civilization franchise,” said Sarah Anderson, senior vice president of marketing for 2K. “Brave New World is destined to continue the strong Civilization lineage that already includes massive expansions such as Civilization IV: Beyond the Sword and Civilization V: Gods & Kings.”

Sid Meier’s Civilization V: Brave New World provides new depth and replayability through the introduction of international trade and a focus on culture and diplomacy. The player’s influence around the world will be impacted by creating a number of Great Works across a variety of crafts, choosing an ideology for their civilization, and proposing global resolutions in the new World Congress. As players move through the ages of history, they will make critical decisions that influence relationships with all civilizations in the game world.

“After adding a number of great new features to Civilization V with the Gods & Kings expansion, the team continued to search for ways to create even more exciting gameplay through new systems and features,” said Sid Meier, director of creative development for Firaxis Games. “We’re happy to bring our fans another ambitious expansion that will provide hours and hours of new Civilization experiences.

Key features include:

•New Civilizations, Units and Buildings: The expansion features nine new civilizations, each with unique traits, units, buildings and all-new leaders, including Casimir III of Poland.
•New Culture Victory: Spread your culture across the globe, dominating all other cultures. Create masterpieces with Great Artists, Writers, and Musicians that are placed in key buildings across your empire, like Museums, Opera Houses and even the Great Library. Use Archaeologists to investigate sites of ancient battles and city ruins for priceless cultural artifacts. Become the first civilization with a majority influence in all other civilizations to achieve a Culture Victory, becoming the envy of the world.
•World Congress: The importance of diplomacy is intensified and city-state alliances are more important than ever. Change the diplomatic landscape through a new World Congress that votes on critical issues like implementing trade sanctions against rogue nations, limiting resource usage, designating host cities for the World Games and the use of nuclear weapons. Game-changing resolutions, vote trading, intrigue, and a new lead into the Diplomatic Victory ensures that the end of the game will be more dynamic than ever before.
•International Trade Routes: Build your cities into hubs of international trade by land and sea, creating great wealth and prosperity for your people, while also spreading religion, cultural influence, and science. The number of trade routes increases through the advancement of economics and technologies, the creation of wonders and the unique abilities of your civilization. Will you connect to a closer city for a lower payoff and a safer route, choose a longer route with more risk for the bigger payoff, or perhaps point your trade route inward, sending vitally important food and production to the far corners of your own empire?
•New Wonders: Eight new Wonders are introduced, including the Parthenon, Broadway, the Uffizi, and more.
•New Game Scenarios: Two new scenarios let gamers fight the “War Between the States” and embark on the epic Scramble for Africa. Fight the American Civil War from either the Union or Confederate side, as you focus on the critical action in the Eastern theatre of operations between the capital cities of Richmond and Washington. In “Scramble for Africa”, the great colonial powers of the world are racing to explore the Dark Continent and extend their reach into its interior. Search for great natural wonders in the heart of Africa, as you explore a dynamically-generated continent each time you play.

Sid Meier’s Civilization V: Brave New World is not yet rated by the ESRB and will be available for Windows-based PC and Mac this summer. For more information on Sid Meier’s Civilization V: Brave New World, please visit www.civilization.com or become a fan on Facebook.

wTEYqK7.jpg

JET4eut.jpg

Day 1. Love some Civ 5 and while my playtime with it and buddies has gone down a new expansion is just what we need to kickstart it again :3.

Also Best Korea or bust.

Chromie

Banned
PC Gamer has an interview with "Firaxis’ Lead Designer Ed Beach and Senior Producer Dennis Shirk

In the hope of gleaning some state secrets, Evan sat down for a peace accord with Firaxis’ Lead Designer Ed Beach and Senior Producer Dennis Shirk.

PCG: What’s a new Civilization that contributes a new playing style? Can you describe this playing style?

Firaxis: Poland’s trait is called Solidarity, and they receive a free Social Policy when they advance into each new era. Poland gave us the opportunity design a Civ with extremely strong mounted units in the Medieval-Renaissance era. When you see the bonus for the Winged Hussar, it should give players a lot of flexibility in terms of changing the way a battle unfolds tactically. Since their Civ trait is extremely flexible, I think Poland is an effective Civ for a wide variety of victories.

How are International Trade Routes formed?

Firaxis: Trade Routes are established between two cities of different civilizations using trade route units like the Caravan or Cargo Ship. Although both parties gain gold from the route, the civilization that the trade route originates from gets a larger sum of gold than the destination civilization. Additionally, other systems hitch a ride on trade routes, like religious pressure, science (science can be gained from more advanced civilization this way), Tourism bonuses, and more.

Trade routes can also be created between two cities of the same civilization. Once the origin city has a Granary, it can send food to the destination city, and once it has a Workshop it can send production. This can be powerful if you have a new city that needs to be “pumped up”, or a city that’s constructing a Wonder that could use a production bump.

Will masterpieces created by Great People be named? e.g., Will you be able to create the Mona Lisa?

Firaxis: Yes they will! We’ll be talking more about those soon.

Does the World Congress vote by majority? When are measures voted upon?

Firaxis: A resolution doesn’t always have to receive majority support. Sometimes a resolution can pass with a single delegate supporting it, as long as there are no delegates voting “no”. The way the process works is the Congress is founded, typically in the Renaissance, by the first player that has discovered all other civilizations. The founding civilization becomes the Congress’s host and receives special benefits, like the ability to propose resolutions.

After the first resolutions are proposed, there’s a countdown until the Congress convenes, which will give you time to get allies on your side before the Congress votes on the proposed resolutions. The process then begins again, with the proposal of resolutions. There are quite a few resolutions that can be voted on. You can vote to outlaw the trade of certain luxury resources, sanction rogue nations economically, start a worldwide project like the World’s Fair, and much more. You can use it to slow down a Civ who is running away to victory, or really put a major rival at a disadvantage.

8bit

Knows the Score
Didn't much care for what Gods & Kings brought to the game, but interested in Culture, Trade & Diplomacy.

GuardsmanGreg

Neo Member
Awesome. I hope the 9 new Civilizations in this expansion are as varied as the ones they introduced in Gods and Kings. The American Civil War Scenario sounds promising as well.

Tu101uk

Hell yeah, bringing back them caravans from Civ2 for trade! Hoping for more improvements to diplomacy and some good additions to the civ roster.

I like Civ5, maybe not as much as 4 but this is still something for me to look forward to. Most likely Day 1.

Axiom

I fucking hate battling anyone that isn't a barbarian in Civilization games, I just like making my little Empire and trying to make it as clever/cultural as possible while being left the hell alone.
So more options for diplomacy and trade that basically let me have more options while trying to play the game like a SimEmpire is incredibly good news for me.

Is there a game like Civ that's far more focused on the cultural/diplomatic/science side of things?

Poland’s trait is called Solidarity, and they receive a free Social Policy when they advance into each new era.

That's overpowered.

Trade routes can also be created between two cities of the same civilization. Once the origin city has a Granary, it can send food to the destination city, and once it has a Workshop it can send production. This can be powerful if you have a new city that needs to be “pumped up”, or a city that’s constructing a Wonder that could use a production bump.

Nice.

Sblargh

Banned
All right! New expansion! Glad they moved away from the small DLC stuff from after-release. This is great.

Trade Routes are established between two cities of different civilizations using trade route units like the Caravan or Cargo Ship. Although both parties gain gold from the route, the civilization that the trade route originates from gets a larger sum of gold than the destination civilization. Additionally, other systems hitch a ride on trade routes, like religious pressure, science (science can be gained from more advanced civilization this way), Tourism bonuses, and more.

Bolded for awesome. This is great.

Sibylus

Banned
Bought with all my fucking money. Everything about this expansion sounds good, especially trade routes that involve actual units. Trade seasons of a sort are in, aw yiss. Hoping they allow you to attack a civ's shipping without a war declaration (just make your Privateers look like regular barbarian units, or allow you to have the option of hiring barbarian Privateers).

Oh boy. I just was able to retire from Civ a few weeks ago! Relapse incoming ....
Hahaha, retire. That's adorable.

Veezy

que?
I'm incredibly excited about this expansion. Despite all the shit that V got, I feel like the potentail is there to surpass IV (it's close, but I still enjoy IV better).

Between this expansion, The Old Gods for CK 2, Conquest of Elysium 3, and the EUIII patch coming out soon, I'm not entirely sure how I'm going to find the time to get my strategy on this year.

Veezy

que?
Great! I hope they fix the enemy AI.

This.

I feel the only thing that would make warfare victory more enjoyable is needing a legit reason to declare war when you reach a certain time period, lest other countries you/your enemy have/has met join in against you. Similar to a casus belli in CK2.

EDIT: Sorry about the double post, clicked the wrong button.

Chromie

Banned
What exactly do you want fixed? I play with friends fairly frequently and we've never really had a problem.

Apart from some big reloads that take up to a minute that occur maybe once an hour, multiplayer has always seemed fine to me.

It's not turn based. It's simultaneous. A.I is even worse online than they are in single player games too. No mod support either. There are a lot of issues with the multiplayer that I'd rather not discuss since I've done so many times over at civfanatics.

Effect

Wonder what it would take to get another Alpha Centauri game. Loved that game and it was the reason I went on to play Civilization and become a fan of the series. Glad this is getting another expansion as well instad of small dlc.

Chairhome

I actually started playing Civ5 again last night for a few hours. Atilla spawned right next to me and denounced me so I declared war and started attacking. After taking one of his cities, barbarians started destroying my civ near my capital and I lost a lot of units attacking his capital. Then I quit.

Which is why I always go for cultural victory.

Interested in this expansion. I don't play often, but it is fun when I play.

Veezy

que?
I actually started playing Civ5 again last night for a few hours. Atilla spawned right next to me and denounced me so I declared war and started attacking. After taking one of his cities, barbarians started destroying my civ near my capital and I lost a lot of units attacking his capital. Then I quit.

Which is why I always go for cultural victory.

Interested in this expansion. I don't play often, but it is fun when I play.

Bah to cultural.

evilwart

Another new civ in the screenshot with Poland. Unit looks something like a wooden siege tower unit.

Wiki says that the Assyrians were the first to use siege towers, so maybe its the Assyrian Empire.

Wes

venison crêpe
IGN has an article up with some more info

Instead of what Beach calls the "passive" option of building a few cities and kind of holing up while you attempt to make them amazing, the goal is for Brave New World is to reintroduce the idea of cultural warfare. You won't convert a city to your civilization a la Civilization IV, but you can win by exerting majority cultural influence over all the other civilizations.

You don't simply do this building and wonders that generate culture, but by actively working to spread your culture one Great Work at a time. When you produce a Great Artist, or the expansions new Great Musicians or Great Writers, you can have them create a specific piece for you. You can then place this piece within buildings like museums or opera houses, generating points to bolster your civilization's culture, as well as new tourism points that pressure the civilizations around you. Generate more lifetime tourism than they're generating culture, and you'll win the cultural shadow war. Do this to all the civilizations? You win the game.

When it comes to economics, Brave New World wants to augment base Civilization V with the introduction of International Trade Routes. Now you'll be able to build caravan and cargo ship units, setting them up so they automatically travel back and forth between your city and that of a foreign civilization. As long as you're not at war, you both gain gold and other resources from the deal, which can work against you. Science, Religion and other resources that could be important to your path to victory will leak out to the civilizations you trade with. The units operating the trade routes can also be attacked, allowing you to disrupt other civilization's trade routes if you go to war with them.

8bit

Knows the Score
Some more stuff on Rock Paper Shotgun : http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/03/15/civilization-v-brave-new-world-preview/

RPS: You mentioned this tourism concept for culture; is that something that’s actually visible in any way or is it more just a concept to explain the number as it were?

Dennis Shirk: It’s very visible, what we’ve basically done is before you just generated culture, you built lots of buildings, you filled up your tech trees. Now the culture yield itself is actually a defence for your civilisation, the amount of culture you’re pushing out. When you get to around a third of the way through the game, you’re going to start generating great people: great artists, great writers, great musicians, and they’re going to be able to create a great work of art or a great work of music in the game, and we actually have, in your cultural buildings now, we have slots for these, so one of your great artists might create ‘Starry Night’ and you put that in one of your museums.

That piece of work now is creating tourism, and it’s an actual yield, and you’re staring to build up tourism. Later on when archaeology comes online, you’re going to be running around on a second phase of exploration and discovery in the world when archaeology comes up because there’s now all these digs around the world that are actually reflections of stuff that happened earlier in the game where a battle might have taken place, where a barbarian camp was. You can extract artefacts from these sites and also put them in your museums.

Some of your wonders now have different great work spots, they create tourism. So you’re now creating tourism in parallel with creating culture, and that’s going to directly go head to head with other people’s culture, and you can get bonuses,. In other words if you have open borders with another civilisation, that creates a boost for your tourism. If you’ve got trade routes to that other civilisation, more boosts to your tourism. So it’s an ongoing battle that really becomes dynamic late in the game, because late in the game when you have a lot of tourism being pumped out, other civilisations might have to take notice and start creating more culture to defend against it, because their culture’s now being overwhelmed by your pushing tourism, it’s a dynamic way to play that game.

Ed Beach: We actually have a screen in the game where it’s a way for you to browse all the great works and amazing things that your civilisation has created. You can click on those, bring the painting back up, listen to the music again, just sort of enjoy your civilisation’s culture if you want to.

Top Bottom