• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The first game you can remember absolutely hating

Saved my paper route money to buy this game, having loved it so much in the arcades (was able to get to 15 keys).
This "version" of the game was an atrocity; made ET look like a AAA game.
So angry. Always kept running into a bug where I would keep falling through the screen, top-to-bottom, not to mention the lock-ups.

2600pac.jpg

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Saved my paper route money to buy this game, having loved it so much in the arcades (was able to get to 15 keys).
This "version" of the game was an atrocity; made ET look like a AAA game.
So angry. Always kept running into a bug where I would keep falling through the screen, top-to-bottom, not to mention the lock-ups.

2600pac.jpg
It's kinda amazing that someone could fuck up Pacman.

Rubius

images

hydlide-nes3.png

Hydlide. I thought I was getting a Zelda type game. I got crap.

Its a Zelda type game. The first one in fact. This game is the original Zelda.
It's kinda amazing that someone could fuck up Pacman.

The guy had 6 month to do it, and he signed a contract that paid him X for each copy made. Not each copy sold, but made.
This is the most destroyed game in the history of video game. Worst than ET. He had no incentive to do a good job.

I really didnt like CoolWorld for the SNES. It was way confusing for a 7-8 yo kid.
Cool_World_SNES_ScreenShot4.gif

SMD

Really, people? These were the very FIRST games you hated?

When I was a kid, I either had a very low quality threshold or I lucked out by getting good games. I played loads of games on the PC that I got on copied floppies but almost all of them were recommendations of some sort, so they were rarely stabs in the dark.

As for console games, I couldn't afford many titles so I either saved up for games I knew were going to be good or that I'd demoed extensively before stumping up the cash.

Even now when I can afford more games, I have such a backlog that I don't really take punts. My biggest regret this generation was preordering King of Fighters XII. I paid the PlayAsia tax to get it early and it was utter gash. Would've cost me just as much to return it so there it remains, as a reminder not to do anything like that again.

PopeReal

Its a Zelda type game. The first one in fact. This game is the original Zelda.

Well I didn't realize that at the time. I had already played Zelda to death before I saw an ad for Hydlide in a magazine and I thought it looked awesome. Maybe other versions were better but the NES one was terrible.

Jesse-

046c.jpg

This game.
Just look at that awesome boxart!

And then it turns out to be some chess/card game game which 7 year old me could not understand for the life of me.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
Really, people? These were the very FIRST games you hated?

Even though I played videogames long before the Playstation system was even a thought, I never absolutely hated a game. The problem was that I was really trying to like Killzone but I just didn't. That turned into hate for me. I also made it a habit not to play universally hated games, like ET or Superman 64.

Satchel

Banned
Absolutely hating? Not just disliking somewhat?

If its pure hatred, then for me Heavy Rain. I feel ashamed I have the platinum.

There's been many games over the years I've disliked, or not liked much. But Heavy Rain is the only game I've hated. Such a shitty shitty game. If it can even be called a game.

Rubius

Absolutely hating? Not just disliking somewhat?

If its pure hatred, then for me Heavy Rain. I feel ashamed I have the platinum.

There's been many games over the years I've disliked, or not liked much. But Heavy Rain is the only game I've hated. Such a shitty shitty game. If it can even be called a game.

Strange, I really liked Heavy Rain. Cant wait for Beyond Two Souls.

daripad

Banjo Kazooie

My father had to sell that game because the witch gave me nightmares each time I played that game. Now I regret being afraid of her :(

jgminto

Your favourite game. That's the one I hate.

The first one that really annoyed me was probably The Simpsons Skateboarding for the PS2
The_Simpsons_Skateboarding_PS2.jpg

Of the four Simpsons games on the PS2, this one was the one I enjoyed the least. It looked terrible, it made me feel sick when I played it, it had a terrible generic soundtrack and I'm pretty sure it played like crap too.

Red UFO

The Sims. "Wait, this is what everybody at school is talking about? Building a shitty house and then watching my shitty virtual people live shitty virtual lives that they feel shitty about?"

I'm not a hateful person so I rarely "hate" something. Recently, I really didnt like Final Fantasy IV but I can still see that it was good in some area and finished it.
There is Bleach Shattered Blade who was an obvious cash in and where the only thing you had to do is masturbate for some time.

Bleach: Shattered Blade might be one of the worst video games I've ever played. I turned it up to the highest difficulty, picked Ikkaku, sat on my couch, closed my eyes, and randomly shook the Wii Remote. When I opened my eyes I had beaten the game. Absolutely serious here.

I just...it's hard to think how a game could possibly be much worse than that.

While it is completely terrible I can at least say its sheer awfulness has made for some hilarious multiplayer, waggle races to reach bankai is a real man's multiplayer battle.

The more I think about it the worse it becomes.

Rubius

Banjo Kazooie

My father had to sell that game because the witch gave me nightmares each time I played that game. Now I regret being afraid of her :(

I could not play Lagoon because of the music that played during the death of the guard in the beginning. It would "reverb" into my brain and play louder and louder and louder. The similar effect happened during the Ice dungeon of Paper Mario 64.
Now I dont get this effect anymore.

DeusEx2: It was such a sheet ball. And I loved the first on so much.

Also Tomb Raider4. I think TR4 was the first game I went onto message boards to complaina about. Still, not as big of a disappointment as DX2

Brofield

1011010063-00.jpg

Mostly because the instruction manual did a piss poor job at explaining controls and the attacking moves. Whenever I fought Shrek, he belched fireballs. How the hell can a 10 year old kid compete with that?

strobogo

Banned
judgedredd.jpg

I remember getting this for Christmas and sheepishly coming down stairs later that night to ask if maybe, possibly, we could take this game back.

joedan

Ghost Busters for NES

Ghostbusters.png

I never had any idea what the hell I was supposed to do here.

Definitely this Ghostbusters game.

Couple of friends of mine in high school took the bus and drove many miles to go by another classmate, in the city, who had Ninja Turtles 3 for the NES. We were hyped! But when we arrived there was a blackout, no electricity. This sucked.

However it turns out that somehow a friend of his who lived a few hundred meters away had electricity and a NES, so we said "we travelled all this way to the city to play games, w're not gonna go home till we played some games". So we walked over to this guy's house.

When we arrived and told him we came to video games he said that was ok but the game he had was really crap and we wouldn't enjoy it. We said "that's fine. It doesn't matter". But he kept on going on about how bad the game is. But we said that we didn't give a shit, we weren't leaving until we played some video games. He said "ok then".

Well it turns out the game he had was Ghostbusters. yeh. After about half an hour we left and took the bus back home.

onken

Buck Rogers for the mega drive, too hard for 7 year old me to figure out.
Though it was probably more disappointment than hatred.

Earl_Grey

Murdered By StarCreator
When I was a sprightly, enthusiastic young thing, I asked my mum for a copy of GTAIII for Christmas. She (quite correctly) surmised that the game was too violent, and bought me two games instead.

Rascal_Coverart.png

and

teras-box.jpg

snoopys_silly_sports_spectacular.cover.front.jpg

I love Snoopy and this game is a horrible stain on that love. Basically it's a set of "silly" competitions (sack race, pole vault, etc) that ends in 5 minutes, and that's it. That's the all game, on top of that the vault competition is broken so you never know who's going to win.

I think Final Fantasy 4 was the first game that actually made me angry enough to get up, turn the game off, and delete the save file from my memory card.

Hell, I played Barney's Hide and Seek when I had Sega Channel, and I didn't think it was as bad as FF4.

I hated WWF Royal Rumble (Dreamcast) for existing and getting my hopes up. I looked forward to the game coming out for months, thinking I'd be getting something similar to the PS1 Smackdown game but with better graphics... plus it had Kurt Angle and Tazz. Oh, baby!

Played it for about 20 minutes as cruel reality sunk in. It was the barest-bones rush job in history. From previews I knew it was based on an arcade game and didn't have a ton of modes, so maybe that could have served as a warning but... man it sucked.

*edit* Guess I got kinda lucky I didn't run into anything from NES -> until that game out that I hated. Never got stuck with any gift duds.

antitrop

m4tpNYE.png

Down, huh? DOWN, RIGHT!? I'M GOING FUCKING DOWN.

Oh, you mean up on the d-pad? Why didn't you say so? My five year old self was not familiar with flight-stick controls. Even if you know you're supposed to push Up when it says Down (fuck you, game), it's still nearly impossible to align correctly. The game hates everything and everyone and only wants to see you miserable.

Camp Lo

Banned
Final Fantasy X is the only game I've tried to like but ended up ultimately hating because it embodies everything wrong with RPGs and gaming in general.

A true abomination.

Cat Party

Who wasn't psyched to try this game?

lEWawDkl.jpg

Then...

kIaHjX9.jpg

What the fuck was this shit? All I really remember was that Nightcrawler died in 15 seconds every time.

AkIRA_22

I don't know what hate is until I rented this game

jPRGOVD.jpg

Yeah man this is mine too. I rented this and gave it back that same afternoon. And my mum asked for a replacement rental.... And got it. Absolute piece of shit, it's still my most hated and crappy game of all time.

AkIRA_22

Bayonetta PS3.

I completed it, but when it was done I felt like a cold dead fish.

NEVER AGAIN.

My most hated game this gen, but not of all time (see above). Nonsensical, unenjoyable and ran like a 3 legged dog. It's also the reason I stopped reading game reviews.

Mischief Makers was quite good...

Anyway, for me the first game I hated was Q'Bert for NES, followed by Fortress of Fear: Wizards & Warriors for the original Game Boy.

For N64, Glover and Buck Bumble were two games that I strongly disliked, along with Quest 64.

The first game I ever hated was The Adventures of Bayou Billy. I bought that game, along with a copy of Sesame Street and an NES as a set, from a garage sale; it was one of the first games I ever had all to myself, for the first console I ever owned. I was a kid back then, and $25 USD wasn't easy for me to get my hands on, so I felt like I was making a real investment.

When I played Bayou Billy for the first time, I felt that something was wrong right off the bat; the controls were sluggish, the enemies were really annoying, and Billy drew punches to the face like a magnet attracts metal. But I kept playing it because I wanted to get my money's worth. And the more I played, the more frustrated I felt; and the more frustrated I became, the more my mind started to pour over what I could be doing wrong. Why was it so hard to get past the first level? Was I playing the game wrong? Was the cartridge damaged or dusty? Should I have even bought this game in the first place, or did I waste my money?

As I asked myself these questions, I felt a mixture of hatred and regret build up in the pit of my stomach; and that feeling grew alongside my frustration while I played until, at some point, I realized that I actually felt ill. So I put the controller down, shut off the console, put my copy of Bayou Billy in its case, tossed it in a shoebox and went to bed. I tried playing Sesame Street the next day, and although I only played it once, I enjoyed it far more that I did Bayou Billy; it was far below my grade level at the time, but I remember feeling underwhelmed rather than bored or angry.

Eventually, I bought some games I actually liked and I felt much better about buying the system. I never touched Bayou Billy again. It's still sitting in that box to this day, I think. All the other games I bought for my NES are stored away safely, but I honestly couldn't care less about what happens to that particular pile of tripe. I don't really hate games in general, but that one seriously messed me up. To this day, just thinking about it makes me stress out a bit.

RoadDogg

While I'm sure it isn't a bad game, my brother always wanted to play this:

I couldn't get past this screen without being bored out of my mind
200px-MLBPlayerSelectionScreen.png

To date I think there is only one baseball game I have ever liked and it was Batter Up on the game gear.

Top Bottom