• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The first game you can remember absolutely hating

baphomet

It was the eighties, how could you possibly have hated anything that had anything to do with the Turtles?
Got it for my 6th birthday and played the shit out of it. Loved the hell out of it. I remember as a kid I could get to the can level with everyone at near or almost full life. Also I swear I did something that I've never seen replicated. Fighting rocksteady at the end of level 1, I threw a ninja star towards the boxes on the right side of the screen. It stayed right at the boxes and I jumped up top with don as always, but I did have to do anything because the star kept hitting him. To this day I'm not sure if I imagined that or not.

First game I truly hated was the first one I picked on my own. A boy and his blob. I never got out of the first area. I was so disappointed. I even had amazing games such as karate kid and bayou billy that I would play the shit out of.

Arozay

588619_47152_front.jpg

I think I was given a choice between this and Super Mario World, and yeah... worst choice ever.

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
Hated? Probably
Sonic+the+Hedgehog+(2006)+(360).jpg

I bought 2 360 games when I got my first 360. Gears of war and sonic 06. I almost got gears on a whim and sonic was going to be the start of the next gen for me. I was soooo excited and had never touched or seen a next gen game before. The difference in quality made me a bitter man.

I even played a lot of it in front of my cousin in an attempt to show him how awesome my 360 purchase was.

Mako_Drug

There was a Turok game I had for the GBC when I was a kid in which I couldn't figure out how to get past a certain level to the point where I just flat out hated the game. Also I chose Yoshi's Island as a birthday present when I was very young and didn't like it for some reason so I returned it for Bubsy lol.

587508_39703_front.jpg

Hated it. So bad and bland. I got it from someone who worked with my mom. I guess her kids didn't want it or something. Now I see why....

Malajax

Been gaming since the SNES, but Devil May Cry 2 was the first game I really hated. It was such a let down and I paid $50 for it.

Similarly started with the Genesis and I agree. Worse yet: I begged to get this game for my birthday. I was so disappointed.

Niwa

Ghost Fish in the maze made me absolutely despise Ninja Gaiden Sigma. Well I could give the Vita version a chance but I doubt that these Scars can be fixed easily.

danmaku

s_SpaceShuttle_4.png

Space Shuttle on the Atari 2600. Atari games are extremely straightforward: move the joystick, push the button (there's only one!) and see what happens. But not Space Shuttle, oh no. I couldn't even understand what was going on, and instructions were in english only. What a waste of time.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Bart Simpson vs The Space Mutants and TMNT for NES were the two things that taught me to be cautious when it came to licensed games in the future.

Krelian

space-harrier-ii-coveeqjwa.jpg

Space Harrior II for Mega Drive was a huge disappointment for me when I got it as a kid. I'm not sure what I expected but I hated almost everything about it.

xenophobe.cover.front.jpg

I thought the arcade version was so much fun so I asked for this for my birthday when I was 13 or so. The sinking realization that I had completely blown a birthday gift on this and was stuck with this game for at least the next six months was pretty rough.

LOL I hated that game also. I thought it was terrible and weird. There were so many 8 bit NES games I hated. That is probably why I am so lenient on games today. New gamers got it so good today and don't even know it.

Hydlide on the NES was actually worst than Xenophobe imo. Terrible, horrendous, cheap, crap game. Arguably the worst game I've experienced in my entire life.

I also hate WCW Nitro on PSOne. Another one of the worst game I played in my entire life.

Shadow Warriors on 3DO. Wow. How approved this game for release? So bad.

Vampire Rain on X360. Horrible design, incredibly frustrating and tedious.

XaosWolf

Don't remember the first, as such, but the latest on that I actually hate (and just from the demo) is Silent Hill: Book of Shadows.

Thinking about it makes me angry.

Older than that, probably Ninjabread Man.. no one gets very far into that game before a red haze, darkness and somehow the disc is destroyed.

Edit: Can't believe I didn't say FFXIII as well. FUCK that game and its unnecessary sequels. >=C

Mister_Mosquito_Coverart.png

A truly awful game

It's janky as fuck, but it's unique, and it's a lot of fun once you've got the controls down.

I always wanted to play the Japanese sequel :/

It actually took a long time, but I hated Evolution Worlds.

I don't remember why. I was like 13-14 at the time.

yUqvk6l.png

One of my roommates had a copy of this, and I played it years ago. I tried so hard to like it... but it's too dull to enjoy.

FlyFaster

Can't think of anything I really "hate" but I really didn't like what Final Fantasy X did to the series. beginning of the end imo. Never finished the game. From the stupid voices, to the way tidus looks, to the hamfisted approach of calling the monster that is destroying the world "sin", I was ready to check out.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
ibq05sdEIy77t1.jpg

I remember hating this game to death. It came with my Mega Drive, and all I wanted to play was Michael Jackson's Moonwalker, a Mickey Mouse game (Castle of Illusion?) and Alex Kid.

I was probably ~11 years old..

Footos22

Definitely unlimited saga,
Basically anything with square enix on the box was like gold to me.
Until i played this sack of shit.

The only game i have ever returned to a shop within a day

Gui_PT

I've played a lot of bad games, even horrible games, yet FFXIII was the only game that I hated absolutely every aspect of with -0- redeemable qualities whatsoever.

I stopped playing Final Fantasy games after X for some reason but then found this one really cheap and decided to buy it. I was really upset lol. Horrible horrible game.

Also:
duke-nukem-forever_pac_1_m.jpg

Mozendo

I don't know if I had a collection of good games growing up, or if I was a really laid back gamer, but Star Ocean: Till The End of Time was my first hated game. I got up to the second disc and just quit. Looking back on it I pity myself because I gave that game so many chances.

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
Flintstones on the Master System
mqdefaultsqj7q.jpg

You paint a fucking wall in the first (of four) stages, followed by a Battletoadsesque driving sequence. Later on you get to bowl and to some construction site stage. It's so bad and I hated it - but I was a kid, and so I sat through it ad nauseum until I eventually beat it.
I don't know how often I painted that fucking wall.

dosh

I'm sure I hated a game before this came along, but this is the first one I remember going to my mom and telling her I wanted to get rid of.

Green_Beret_MSX_box.jpg

I believe it was released in NA as Rush'N'Attack or something, but I think the NES version is probably better than the MSX one anyway. It's so bad.

I got it as a kid, bundled with the first Contra and some other games. I remember wondering why they had decided to sell these games together: Contra was awesome, Green Beret wasn't, and nobody would play it, ever.

It felt like a waste: if they wanted to add a game to the pack, it should have been a good game. That really, really puzzled me at the time.

My version looked closer to the arcade though, so a bit better than the video you linked. Still, really bad.

haikira

Blam! Machinehead
blam_machinehead_palfokc9.jpg

Doesn't seem to have a reputation of being a particularly bad game or anything, but it just wasn't doing anything for me. Also was one of the first games i actually bought for myself, which made it worse.

I think i probably rented out some games before it for the SNES, which i hated more, but i just can't remember them in any detail.

Cornbread78

For me, no question, it was Athena for the NES.
It was unfairly difficult, and not at all fun to play.
Being young, I did my best to try and beat it, but eventually I grew so angry at this game I literally smashed it to pieces with a hammer.
I do not regret that at all.
FUCK YOU ATHENA.

8565217217_691130d312.jpg

It's funny how I played every game until I finshed them in my childhood years, but now, I'd just put it back on the shelf and move along.... (I finished this one btw and recently bought a digital version for my VITA)

Hate is such a strong phrase, there are game i didn't like but to get mad enough to hate a game.

Munchkin(the card game) is one of the few games to hold that honor.

For videogames that would be FF7, first time was when Yufi stole all my inventory, then after Aerith was killed and Kait Sith was allowed to stay in the party I quit the game.

apesh1t

Banned
220px-Bill_Ted_VG.jpg

My brother bought this and it was such a boring game. You had to jump on random bushes and things to find shit to lure famous people back. It was bizarrely awful.

But I was almost brought to tears with:

254px-Street_Skater.jpg

I don't know why. I had a lot of expectation for this game. I was really into skateboarding and this was the first true skateboarding game. It had one action button and did random tricks when pressed. It was basically like Sega's Top Skater, minus the board controller. I was old, like 17, and was still really bummed out. I called walmart and asked if I could return it for store credit, they said no.

I've disliked or ignored bad games before of course. I didn't really hate any game when I was young for whatever reason. Even Deadly Towers was fine for me, I didn't think anything of it.

Marvel vs Capcom 3 taught me how to hate a game.

Arjen

250px-alien_3_box_28g52rfn.jpg

I couldn't find and item i needed pretty much at the start of the game. Really frustrating, never did found the item which made me rage, and i never touched it again.

daninthemix

Pingu (spelling?) on the BBC. Or was it Pengo?

Horrible little game. Couldn't put it down though.

And then later Batman Forever on the Mega Drive. Mortal Kombat style digitised sprites and animation in the darkest, dullest beat-em-up I've ever played.

LakeEarth

Before I was born, my parents had accumulated a pretty awesome Intellevision collection. When Nintendo was the big thing, I was still playing the "other Atari" systems. No big deal though.

One of my favourite games was Tron Deadly Discs. A really competitive game, made you work hard. We also had Snafu, which was a Light-Cycle ripoff game, but quite well done. Another great competitive game that I played against my dad and brother.

Now ... Tron: Maze-a-Tron... awful. What the living fuck. Definitely one of the first games that I realized was just not fun. There were other "experimental" games where I couldn't figure out what I was supposed to do, but you don't hate those games, you just move on to the next one.

Top Bottom