• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls PC Mod allows immediate summons between friends

woober

Source

It allows both co-op and PVP. Instructions say both players must have the mod installed and gives a shoutout to Neogaf's Durante in hopes that this mod will be included with his DSFix to make this process easier.

It's amazing how much mods have improved this game on PC.

Derrick01

Banned
Another feature that should have been in the main game, but kudos to the PC community. They're always there to fix developer's games for them.

Vexxan

Fuck yes, currently in the process of playing through the game and it would be great to play together with friends sometimes.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Now that's pretty fuckin excellent. I know some pals who wanted to play co-op but were turned off by the fact that you had no control over who came in.

Durante

This is fantastic work. I thought about doing some packet sniffing and figuring out how the networking works, with the end goal of doing something similar, but I never got anywhere.

Huge props to the author.

Ploid 3.0

Wow dark souls fight club, just the sound of that makes me want to get in on that. I'd have to play through the game and brush up on fighting people.

Bear

Got to love the modding community. I recently started playing this game (still very, very early in), so this is good timing for me.

Now I just need to figure out if any of my friends own this and are still interested in playing it.

woober

This is fantastic work. I thought about doing some packet sniffing and figuring out how the networking works, with the end goal of doing something similar, but I never got anywhere.

Huge props to the author.

The best solution would be for Durante to include it in a future version of DSFix, but until that time, let's get as many people in as possible.

Any chance you'll make this happen? :D

fresquito

I've heard you cant play the official release with the 60fps fix, is that true? I've been thinking about getting thiss, but I sure don't want to spend money and then have to download a cracked exe to use must have mods.

I wonder if this also means you can Invade your friends even easier?

It does.

-- Intercepts GFWL matchmaking functions to return a friend's session if available. This is repeated until all online friends are connected to, at which point it resumes normal behavior of looking for random peers.
-- Allows near-instantaneous summoning / invasion of friends, as well as other network info exchanged such as bloodstains, visible blue ghosts / bonfire phantoms, bonfire kindling, etc.

Raide

Why on earth is the PC community having to literally remake the game?

The developers did fuck all.

They made one of this generations best games. PC users tweaked the graphics and made it even more awesome. :D

Hopefully the developers have much to think about for Dark Souls 2.

Orayn

They made one of this generations best games. PC users tweaked the graphics and made it even more awesome. :D

Hopefully the developers have much to think about for Dark Souls 2.

It'd be cool to have direct summoning of friends as a unique type of phantom with its own advantages and disadvantages. Maybe increased durability but reduced damage output, or something like that.

#GAMECHANGER

Time to get the PC version... anyone down for co-op? I finished the game on Xbox, and I'm down for 'hand holding' any players too scared to go alone. :D

Grinchy

Banned
This is definitely an improvement, but there's a certain level of charm to the anxiety that comes from trying over and over again to summon your friend before some asshole invades you.

linko9

This is great news, but I feel like there's a bit of hyperbole going on. The online system was made this way intentionally, same goes for Journey. There were of course technical issues, both on console and PC, but the decision to not allow invited summons was very much intentional, and I fully support it. Of course mods on PC games are cool and whatnot, but don't act like FROM did a shit job designing the game, it was an intentional choice, and one that I think works very well for this particular game.

Durante

This is great news, but I feel like there's a bit of hyperbole going on. The online system was made this way intentionally, same goes for Journey. There were of course technical issues, both on console and PC, but the decision to not allow invited summons was very much intentional, and I fully support it. Of course mods on PC games are cool and whatnot, but don't act like FROM did a shit job designing the game, it was an intentional choice, and one that I think works very well for this particular game.
This doesn't change the design, only the technical issues that often caused a long delay before summoning signs became visible.

Grief.exe

Hopefully the next step is ripping out GFWL completely and migrating it to private servers.

I feel like the problem with this is you would still need some kind of master server to set up the P2P connections.

I wish someone would just figure a way to patch out GFWL completely.

Drazgul

PSA: Dark Souls is currently 15 on amazon.

I've been holding off on picking this up (I know...), but this may be what pushes me over the edge.

Can anyone buy it at that price, or US only? Steam still wants 40€ for it.

Also, I glanced at the nexus for some mods, and the top ones all seemed to be texture replacers/enhancers. Are there any actual content mods (new items and such)?

Edit: Nevermind, "Online Code: Currently, this item is available only to customers located in the United States and who have a U.S. billing address."

Except its still very much possible to play with freinds. Its just a waste of 20-30 minutes to set it up.

So basically all they did was add a slight irritant. And random "Summoning failed" messages.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
This is really cool.

Could really change PvP on the PC though (not that it matters since people can already hack their save file or whatever to get whatever stuff they want). Imagine being invaded while you have a friend, friend gets killed, and you immediately summon him back. Great when its working in your favor, not so much otherwise.

Except its still very much possible to play with freinds. Its just a waste of 20-30 minutes to set it up.

So basically all they did was add a slight irritant. And random "Summoning failed" messages.

Eh, I was able to summon friends on the 360 version with no huge issues. Usually took 5 minutes tops.

The "perfect" system IMO, on paper at least, would be one where you don't have the Summoning Failed connection issues, but where there would be a cooldown on summoning a specific person. Say I summon my friend, he gets killed, and then I have to wait maybe 15 seconds or so before he can be brought back into my world.

Cheddahz

Banned
Dark Souls just became the Monster Hunter of PC gaming

Should I create a NeoGAF group, so people can team up in Dark Souls?

Top Bottom