• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Polygon] Capcom's cancelled gritty Mega Man FPS reboot (by Metroid Prime leads)

www.polygon.com/2013/4/9/4179628/mega-man-fps-maverick-hunter

Maverick Bust if old

In 2010, Capcom tapped the talent behind Metroid Prime to bring Mega Man into the modern age — only to have the game suffer the fate of similar recent attempts to find a new audience for the 8-bit hero.

Codenamed Maverick Hunter, the first-person shooter had the blessing of Mega Man's creator and a talented team tasked with attracting a new generation of fans. But the departure of Keiji Inafune likely killed the most interesting take on the 25-year-old character to date.

Mega Man's foray into the first-person shooter genre looked, at least on paper, like a formula for success. One of a handful of collaborations with Western developers kicked off by Mega Man creator Keiji Inafune, the Mega Man first-person shooter was in development at Austin-based Armature Studio, the promising developer founded by Metroid Prime's creators. The new Mega Man would have been redesigned by the concept artist responsible for adapting Iron Man's armor for Marvel's successful film franchise. Thematically, the game would have built upon the mythology of Mega Man X, a series that was a darker, more mature spin-off of the cuter, classic Mega Man franchise.

The game would have stayed true to core Mega Man X gameplay concepts, re-imagining his X-Buster arm cannon, his dash and his ability to appropriate the special powers of his fallen enemies. Platforming elements, including X's wall jump, and classic Mega Man X characters would have been re-imagined in new ways.

Unfortunately, Armature's Mega Man first-person shooter, Maverick Hunter shared the fate of the Blue Bomber's other recent projects — Mega Man Legends 3, Mega Man Universe, Mega Man Online — and was canceled before the public ever had the opportunity to see it.

According to a number of Capcom sources, Armature's Maverick Hunter was prototyped and playable. It had a short lifespan, only about six months in the first half of 2010. It showed promise, sources said, but was deemed a significant gamble, and quietly killed before Inafune publicly exited Capcom in late 2010.

MIIxzSp.jpg

X896JNj.jpg

More at the link.

This repulses me in ways I do not at all have words for.

Loooking at the video and reading the article, had they announced this Capcom would have gotten my attention. Looks interesting and fast.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Oh man that first video where he does the rushing melee attack. Pretty badass actually, someone gif that. This looks better than most mega man games ( ≖‿≖)

Zia

Huh. Could've been neat. Mega Man is probably the most popular franchise in gaming without an actual good game attached to it, so if anyone could have changed that it would've been Metroid Prime team members.

Mega Man does not need to be an FPS.

...But if it were to be, coming from the Metroid Prime leads might not have been so bad.

Mega Man is probably the most popular franchise in gaming without an actual good game attached to it.

step away from the keyboard

won't lie, with the current direction of megaman with that shitty ios game... I wouldn't mind this lol.

Megaman Prime could potentially work. The suit though... eh.

Moosichu

Looks different enough to the other current FPS's. I would have tried it out at least if it was a quality product.

For 6 months of development, the combat video looks great. Should have been re-branded as a new IP though.

btrboyev

Huh. Could've been neat. Mega Man is probably the most popular franchise in gaming without an actual good game attached to it, so if anyone could have changed that it would've been Metroid Prime team members.

What?????

Sophia

As much as I think Mega Man X would be better suited for more DMC or Ratchet and Clank gameplay, I'm kinda interested in what this would have become.

Good or bad, it's better then the non-existent Mega Man games we're getting now.

Omikaru

Imagine the rage if this wasn't canned and found its way to release, but MML3 was still canned.

Oh my god. This really is the grossest "broadening" of a franchise I've ever seen. So gross, not even Capcom was insane enough to push on with it.

Dennis

Banned
Fucking lol

This is like that joke about everything being turned into gritty shootbang games come true.

Riposte

"gritty Megaman" huh... oh, they are talking about X. lol

I'm always down for FPS with high mobility options. Could have been interesting. Then again, if they game was being made in the style of Metroid Prime it probably would have been a letdown.

This sounds like something Inafune only endorsed because it involved Western development and collaboration. It looks exactly like what one would expect of Megaman Prime—which is not a desirable thing whatsoever.

We should have lost this and gotten Legends 3 instead.

I don't expect anyone to understand this, but you know how you have "the" game? That game that almost sort of shaped who you are as a gamer. The game where you can go back to it and it feels exactly like it did the first time you played it - no advancement in UI or technology or whatever can affect that game. If you don't have that title, then it may be hard to understand.

For me, that was Mega Man X.

And while sequels to that game range from competent to awful, I never felt like they were taking the idea of Mega Man X and trying to make it something it wasn't (except X7, fuck that game).

This...I dunno. I'm not going to cry over something that will never exist, but I'll just say I'm glad it will never exist. It chills me in a way I didn't think an alpha of a game could.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
To be honest this, I feel like this has FPS Platinum Games vibes, but looks 50x worse than something they'd make.

The essence is there though ~

Top Bottom