• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony and Nintendo to present at the Full Indie Summit

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Via duckroll and Meelow:

duckroll7es0r.jpg

Source: http://vblank.com/FullIndieSummit.pdf

sunnz

I think EVEN though the nextbox is not announced, they would still mention them here...

Quite weird.

Microsoft, just announce your damn console already so you no longer have to be that guy who never shows up.

I think this is more of the case of MS not caring about indie developers than Durango not being announced.

They could easily be there with 360 if they truly cared.

Nintendo and Sony within the last few months have really been loving indies and are making it super easy for them to get their games on their systems.

lol at ms

GetemMa

MS out of the picture again LOL.

Jeff Gerstmann and Andy McNamara both said on Gametrailers that with the 720 that Microsoft is seemingly moving ever further away from an open publishing platform for indies to an even more closed and more expensive platform for small studios to operate on.

$50K patches, hurray!

Are you asking or making a statement? Because that's certainly not true. Just look at the Net Yaroze.

I'm talking about this gen and Microsoft created XNA and an entire marketplace for indie games along with a consumer ranking system. Saying Microsoft doesn't support indie games just isn't true at all.

Swifty

I'm talking about this gen and Microsoft created XNA and an entire marketplace for indie games along with a consumer ranking system. Saying Microsoft doesn't support indie games just isn't true at all.
They sort of did but then it seems like they decided that they don't have the energy to do so anymore.

People are talking about where things are now. You won't have any difficulty finding quotes from indie devs talking about how MS seemingly doesn't give a shit about them anymore. There's clearly been some sort of shift in their mentality toward indies.

Carl

They used to. They don't give a shit any more.

People are talking about where things are now. You won't have any difficulty finding quotes from indie devs talking about how MS seemingly doesn't give a shit about them anymore. There's clearly been some sort of shift in their mentality toward indies.

2 of the 6 people listed in the OP as speaking had their most recent games published by Microsoft.

The thing about support is that it needs to be continuous. Microsoft has seemingly shifted focus towards media and away from indie games while Sony and Nintendo are aggressively reaching out to the indie community.

This man speaks the truth.

Derrick01

Banned

And then hid that indie marketplace in the back of their interface, where everyone forgot about it.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
And then hid that indie marketplace in the back of their interface, where everyone forgot about it.

And cancelled XNA, told indies that development in the future was "Devkit again, lol", and then stopped talking to indies about the future altogether.

:p

With the 360, MS was coming off the XBox which bled money. They needed to do something to beat Sony. So, in the beginning, they courted indies and moneyhatted Japanese support. However, something happened. They garnered a huge base off CoD and Gears. Later on, Kinect would sell some systems. So, there process now is entrenched with the establishment, media, and kinect. Indies are no longer important in their eyes. Moneyhatting Japanese developers is no longer necessary. Now, we are here.

Foffy

Banned
Are indies really this important?

In a collapsing AAA market, yes. You need smaller people to blossom or the industry stagnates with smaller giants. Some of the giants we have today could be considered independent when they were making games in their garage in the 1980's.

surly

Banned
Yeah, it's really well hidden. They chose to hide it in the same place as XBLA games and Games on Demand, just like they hid indies on Xbox.com too: -

tKJt17Q.jpg

How many games do Sony and Nintendo have on their dedicated indie games services? This many?.....

E0vMydS.jpg

Wynnebeck

Banned
With the 360, MS was coming off the XBox which bled money. They needed to do something to beat Sony. So, in the beginning, they courted indies and moneyhatted Japanese support. However, something happened. They garnered a huge base off CoD and Gears. Later on, Kinect would sell some systems. So, there process now is entrenched with the establishment, media, and kinect. Indies are no longer important in their eyes. Moneyhatting Japanese developers is no longer necessary. Now, we are here.

Honestly, I believe MS realizes they aren't going to compete in Europe and Japan with Sony so they are basically putting all their eggs in the baskets belonging to USA and UK.

Meelow

Banned
Are indies really this important?

Indies are getting much bigger, and will be huge 8th gen I see, if the AAA market crashes than Nintendo/Sony/Microsoft will have to bank on other types of games other than their own which would be indies.

If the AAA market has to take a rest for a few years than indies will be huge me thinks.

Loudninja

They made be small devs now does not mean they will be in the future, its important to build relationships with all developers.

Meelow

Banned
Sadly they are becoming more important every second that pass

I think the stereotype for indies is they are usually 2D games or games that aren't really that fun, and not everyone likes 2D games, but if you look in the right place, I believe you will find it.

Here are some upcoming 3D indie games.

Anima-Gates-of-Memories-2.jpg

project-y2k-tech-demo.png

a%20hat%20in%20time.jpg

And tons of others I missed.

VariantX

I think the stereotype for indies is they are usually 2D games or games that aren't really that fun, and not everyone likes 2D games, but if you look in the right place, I believe you will find it.

a%20hat%20in%20time.jpg

I think that middle one may be a unity tech demo

Game Guru

Why are Nintendo and Sony supporting Indie Developers?

Nintendo is supporting them because the AAA Gaming Industry has all but abandoned them. By supporting indies immensely, Nintendo hopes that these indies will become the AAA publishers of tomorrow and see Nintendo not as the monopolistic Nintendo of the '80s or the relatively uncool Nintendo of the '90s, but instead see Nintendo as a benevolent gatekeeper who, like the indies, want to make great innovative games and help great innovative games to blossom on their platform.

Sony is supporting them because they learned from the debacle with the PS3 that developers are the key to a platform's success and want to make it easy for all developers to support their system, big or small. Both Nintendo and Sony see potential success in their new platforms in helping the indie developer bring their games onto the systems.

18-Volt

Rivalry between Sony and Nintendo about indies pleases me. I don't know who will get most of exclusives but I'm sure I'll be happy in the end.

MisterHero

Why are Nintendo and Sony supporting Indie Developers?

Nintendo is supporting them because the AAA Gaming Industry has all but abandoned them. By supporting indies immensely, Nintendo hopes that these indies will become the AAA publishers of tomorrow and see Nintendo not as the monopolistic Nintendo of the '80s or the relatively uncool Nintendo of the '90s, but instead see Nintendo as a benevolent gatekeeper who, like the indies, want to make great innovative games and help great innovative games to blossom on their platform.

Sony is supporting them because they learned from the debacle with the PS3 that developers are the key to a platform's success and want to make it easy for all developers to support their system, big or small. Both Nintendo and Sony see potential success in their new platforms in helping the indie developer bring their games onto the systems.
I like to think that people at the top of both companies were people who made (or wanted to make) games independently, even if the corporate sides of both have gotten in the way of that.

Those are great alternative summaries though.

Shahed

a%20hat%20in%20time.jpg

Is there are a release date for any of these, or anywhere I can find out more about them?

Top Bottom