• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony and Nintendo to present at the Full Indie Summit

wsippel

Banned
wow that much seriously? i'd been thinking unity was a relatively cheap engine (just a few grand one off)
That actually is pretty cheap now that I think about it. Well, at least compared to many other commercial engines. Good tools are expensive.

Source :p Dont wont to be hyped for nothing :p
I wouldn't get hyped just yet, but the first two games are by studios who already announced or released games on Nintendo platforms. The first Anima was on WiiWare, and as mediocre as it was, the guy behind it is one of the panelists at iDÉAME this year. Acck Studios already announced Two Brothers for Wii U, and I'm pretty sure they've said that Y2K would come to the platform as well. And this is what the guy behind A Hat in Time had to say:

Without making any promises, I think it will be likely that the game ends up on the Wii U.

I have been in touch with a publisher that is interested in putting it on that console, and I’d be more than interested in seeing that happen!
http://nintendoeverything.com/11263...ing-whether-his-game-will-come-to-wii-u-more/

That actually is pretty cheap now that I think about it. Well, at least compared to many other commercial engines. Good tools are expensive.

I wouldn't get hyped just yet, but the first two games are by studios who already announced or released games on Nintendo platforms. The first Anima was on WiiWare, and as mediocre as it was, the guy behind it is one of the panelists at iDÉAME this year. Acck Studios already announced Two Brothers for Wii U, and I'm pretty sure they've said that Y2K would come to the platform as well. And this is what the guy behind A Hat in Time had to say:

http://nintendoeverything.com/11263...ing-whether-his-game-will-come-to-wii-u-more/

yeah in comparison to other engines its a bargain just didnt realise they had a per title fee for console games which i can see you're right

mujun

Yet again more proof that Microsoft just doesn't care about some things.

Unlike the proof that is XBLA and XBLIG.

There is a lot of talk about them sucking as a partner but despite that there is a constant stream of stuff hitting the above two services. Heaps of stuff worth playing.

Nilaul

Guess Y2K is pretty much confrimed for WiiU. http://ackkwiiu.tumblr.com/ Its pretty much plasstered everywhere.

I hope a hat in time comes to.. didn't dig into it yet.. but it looks fun :p

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Unlike the proof that is XBLA and XBLIG.

There is a lot of talk about them sucking as a partner but despite that there is a constant stream of stuff hitting the above two services. Heaps of stuff worth playing.

Games come to XBLA because the 360 audience loves buying games, but many developers have come out blasting Microsoft for some of their practices. Mainly their seemingly arrogant attitude towards smaller developers, and their outdated policies.

surly

Banned
Devs have been complaining about visiblity for years.
More goalpost shifting. This is what you originally said: -

Kenshin001 said:
You conveniently forget XBLIG had no visibility until about a year ago when the dash was updated
Which implies that XBLIG were buried from launch until a year ago, but that's not true. They were visible, got "buried" for 3 months, then became visible again. Now you're just trying to change your argument because you were wrong.

XBLIG have tough competition on Live because every XBLA game has a demo and because XBLA games are more likely to get reviewed by games sites and get advertised by their publishers. Cthulhu Saves the World didn't sell as well as the developers hoped, but that didn't stop them coming back for more: -

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-GB/P...-slick-3/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d80258550b60

How many games has that developer made for PS3? What about Wii or Wii U?

mujun

Games come to XBLA because the 360 audience loves buying games, but many developers have come out blasting Microsoft for some of their practices. Mainly their seemingly arrogant attitude towards smaller developers, and their outdated policies.

I know, I mentioned that myself (though some of it is just for headlines, like the whoring of Johnathan Blow's opinion). I think it is funny however that something can actually exist and be successful for years on end and garner little or no credit (XBLA and XBLIG) and yet the mere promise of Sony doing well has people shouting it from the rooftops.

Might be different people or maybe it is a double standard.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
I know, I mentioned that myself (though some of it is just for headlines, like the whoring of Johnathan Blow's opinion). I think it is funny however that something can actually exist and be successful for years on end and garner little or no credit (XBLA and XBLIG) and yet the mere promise of Sony doing well has people shouting it from the rooftops.

Might be different people or maybe it is a double standard.

I don't think XBLA gets no credit, in fact it's the only Digital Download service the gaming press cares about. I can't speak about XBLIG myself because I've largely ignored it and haven't purchased anything from there.

Sony and Nintendo(them especially) have shown they're willing to change their bad policies to better accommodate indies, and Microsoft hasn't yet, that's the problem. I understand they could be waiting for Nextbox to announce these plans, but right now there's no good news on that front.

Nobody is disputing XBLA has been successful on the sales front, and has a number of quality games. They've appeared to burn some bridges however, and haven't made any strides to fix that.

mujun

I don't think XBLA gets no credit, in fact it's the only Digital Download service the gaming press cares about. I can't speak about XBLIG myself because I've largely ignored it and haven't purchased anything from there.

Sony and Nintendo(them especially) have shown they're willing to change their bad policies to better accommodate indies, and Microsoft hasn't yet, that's the problem. I understand they could be waiting for Nextbox to announce these plans, but right now there's no good news on that front.

Nobody is disputing XBLA has been successful on the sales front, and has a number of quality games. They've appeared to burn some bridges however, and haven't made any strides to fix that.

Agree on all points. Just think there is goal post moving (read weighting given to any one point changes to suit arguments).

serplux

I believe that there have been murmurings that the market is getting stagnant outside of maybe the top 5 or so. Bit Trip Runner 2 only sold 1,000 first week, IIRC.

mujun

I believe that there have been murmurings that the market is getting stagnant outside of maybe the top 5 or so. Bit Trip Runner 2 only sold 1,000 first week, IIRC.

You only talking about XBLA or all three services? I read a similar thing to what you said (and iirc it was based on the XBLA sales thread Rlan makes) but it was only in regards to XBLA because no one was doing research for the other two services.

serplux

You only talking about XBLA or all three services? I read a similar thing to what you said (and iirc it was based on the XBLA sales thread Rlan makes) but it was only in regards to XBLA because no one was doing research for the other two services.

Yes, I was referring to XBLA only. It could be causing some issues with the smaller/middle-sized indie devs.

mujun

Yes, I was referring to XBLA only. It could be causing some issues with the smaller/middle-sized indie devs.

So you have similar figures for the other services? I doubt that the other two services fare any better.

You aren't just using RCR as a barometer are you?

How is Terraria doing on PSN, for example?

serplux

So you have similar figures for the other services? I doubt that the other two services fare any better.

You aren't just using RCR as a barometer are you?

How is Terraria doing on PSN, for example?

Well no. But low numbers are low numbers. Terraria would probably rank pretty damn high on the downloads list too, so I wouldn't say they're a small dev, per se.

mujun

Well no. But low numbers are low numbers. Terraria would probably rank pretty damn high on the downloads list too, so I wouldn't say they're a small dev, per se.

XBLA typically gets more games a month, it may be a case of being spoiled for choice, more to buy equals less sales for the smaller/less advertised games in the monthly release list.

Basically, I don't think there is enough data at this point to make a call one way or the other. I think the attraction of XBLA (and the 360 in general) is wearing off quickly and that on the PS3 on the other hand the attraction (of PSN) is increasing. I think that is a very recent trend though and won't be evident in sales figures for a while yet.

All my armchair analyst speculation, of course.

Top Bottom