• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAME UK now sells Wii U eShop codes

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Is this something along the lines of what NCL have set up in Japan, where retailers are able to sell digital editions of the game?

This is awesome.

Much more preferable than buying directly from eShop since since I can still get (low value) reward points and abuse Topcashback / Quidco on top.

This is awesome.

Much more preferable than buying directly from eShop since since I can still get (low value) reward points and abuse Topcashback / Quidco on top.

IIRC, the idea (hope?) behind this in Japan was that it would be less of an inventory issue for retailers, and that it would encourage price competition between them. Not sure how it worked out though.

I was wondering when it was going to be more than 1 unheard of retailer. Nice is cheaper than the actual eShop and as such I'd like to see eShop titles head that way.

Its still more than physical or equal (compare to Japan where digital is 15% cheaper). Also will pre-order download codes eventually exist?

wagamer

“We’re really excited about this partnership with Nintendo, as it makes it so much easier for gamers to access Nintendo digital content, not just in the UK but across Europe,” GAME category director Charlotte Knight stated.

So these codes can be activated on any European account?

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I know they sell digital codes for Live Arcade, PSN (plus Vita) and Steam in store, so Wii U/3DS digital codes will probably be available shortly, if they aren't already.

Other question: is buying codes for PS3/360/Vita/Steam at the store cheaper than buying digital directly from PSN/XBLA/Steam?

@MUWANdo

Banned
So these codes can be activated on any European account?

Yeah, the redemption codes are region-specific (JP, PAL, NA, KOR, HK, etc) but not country-locked, so you should be able to buy a code from GAME UK and redeem it on your German 3DS or whatever... but just to be safe, you can switch your region to the UK in the system settings, redeem the code in the eShop and then switch back again if you're really worried.

beje

Banned
Exactly what I was waiting for before jumping into digital. Having eShop MSRP prices so much higher than regular street prices has stopped me from doing so. Now here comes a rather stupid question... if the code comes through email would GAME charge "shipping" to other EU countries?

Yeshua

Yeah, the redemption codes are region-specific (JP, PAL, NA, KOR, HK, etc) but not country-locked, so you should be able to buy a code from GAME UK and redeem it on your German 3DS or whatever... but just to be safe, you can switch your region to the UK in the system settings, redeem the code in the eShop and then switch back again if you're really worried.

Thanks for the info.

Exactly what I was waiting for before jumping into digital. Having eShop MSRP prices so much higher than regular street prices has stopped me from doing so. Now here comes a rather stupid question... if the code comes through email would GAME charge "shipping" to other EU countries?

You can always enter a fake English adress to have free "shipping".

Oxx

Yeah, they gave me the full spiel while I was in the shop this morning checking Fire Emblem prices.

First I had seen of them.

Mafro

The 25% trade-in offer is pretty good, I wonder how long that offer will last. Very tempted to get the download version of Fire Emblem now.

kuppy

http://www.game.co.uk/webapp/wcs/st...storeId=10151&cm_sp=topnav-_-Wiiu-_-eShopLogo

This is great! Could get very interesting.

We’re really excited about this partnership with Nintendo, as it makes it so much easier for gamers to access Nintendo digital content, not just in the UK but across Europe.
Yeah. I am pretty sure the game codes will also work on other EU stores but do you think about the eShop cards (well, because of the difference between Pound and Euro) ?

Btw: Can I actually easly set up a fully eShop account that is in the same region (PAL) but a other country?

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
http://www.game.co.uk/webapp/wcs/st...storeId=10151&cm_sp=topnav-_-Wiiu-_-eShopLogo

This is great! Could get very interesting.

Yeah. I am pretty sure the game codes will also work on other EU stores but do you think about the eShop cards (well, because of the difference between Pound and Euro) ?

Btw: Can I actually easly set up a fully eShop account that is in the same region (PAL) but a other country?

Wow. That page appears to show a Luigi's Mansion eShop card.

hub_Nintendo_EShop_V2_02.jpg

beje

Banned

On the 3DS it's as easy as changing the country of the console. On the Wii U you have to change the country, then make a separate NNID account for that country but any game you buy will be available to all users regardless of their NNID country.

Other question: is buying codes for PS3/360/Vita/Steam at the store cheaper than buying digital directly from PSN/XBLA/Steam?

As Bony said, not usually, but you can some times come across a reduced title (code) or take advantage of their trade in offers where you get 25% more credit if you trade in games towards digital content.

Not sure how often they run that trade in promotion, but I've seen it a few times when I've popped in during my lunch break. I think they are still running the steam one, Wii U/3DS will probably pop up at some point to help promote/raise awareness of their selling of digital content on those platforms.

Mafro

As Bony said, not usually, but you can some times come across a reduced title (code) or take advantage of their trade in offers where you get 25% more credit if you trade in games towards digital content.

Not sure how often they run that trade in promotion, but I've seen it a few times when I've popped in during my lunch break. I think they are still running the steam one, Wii U/3DS will probably pop up at some point to help promote/raise awareness of their selling of digital content on those platforms.
According to their website you are getting 25% more credit with all eShop/XBLA/PSN/Steam download codes until May 17th.

Hopefully nintendo will soon have a good user management system in place, right now it's still an account locked to one device, right?

Oxx

Shame I didn't see this thread before buying £50 of eshop cards.

Still, I could buy a Fire Emblem code from Game and save the cards for future purchases.

Just wondering but do they email the eShop £15/£25 vouchers?
Those are still sent by post sadly.

Still, I could buy a Fire Emblem code from Game and save the cards for future purchases.
There's typically an expiration date with these kind of money cards so just remember to activate them before that point. I think it's ~3 months for the eShop cards and 12 months for PSN money cards.

Oxx

There's typically an expiration date with these kind of money cards so just remember to activate them before that point. I think it's ~3 months for the eShop cards and 12 months for PSN money cards.

Hmm, don't see any language to that effect on the cards.

I'll probably end-up using them on Animal Crossing anyway, so I should be okay.

Omikaru

Assuming they're cheaper than eShop, they're obviously worth buying from GAME. But even if they're the same price as they are on eShop, you still get reward points on them, which will contribute to a future discount.

I'd say this is, overall, a net gain. I'll probably buy most of my eShop games this way from now on.

Oxx

Well that was weird. It said it sent the code to an old email address that I haven't used in years and definitely isn't the one listed on my account right now.

Good thing I noted the code down at the confirmed screen.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
What? I still have a card that I haven't activated hanging around. That don't recall seeing anything about an expiry date on it.

Top Bottom