• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

George Kamitani responds to Kotaku

LiK

http://kotaku.com/the-artist-behind-dragons-crown-explains-his-exaggerat-482450927

Kamitani email said:
Thank you for contacting me; I am George Kamitani from Vanillaware.

I’ll go into detail about the reasons behind some of Dragon’s Crown design concepts.

I believe that the basic fantasy motifs seen in Dungeons & Dragons and the work of J.R.R. Tolkien have a style that is very attractive, and I chose to use some orthodox ones in my basic designs. However, if I left those designs as is, they won’t stand out amongst the many fantasy designs already in the video game/comic/movie/etc. space. Because of that, I decided to exaggerate all of my character designs in a cartoonish fashion.

I exaggerated the silhouettes of all the masculine features in the male characters, the feminine features in female characters, and the monster-like features in the monsters from many different angles until each had a unique feel to them. I apologize to those who were made uncomfortable by the art’s appearance, and did not see the same light-hearted fantasy in my designs.

I don’t harbor any ill-will to Jason Schreier for the article he originally posted about the Sorceress or his follow-up. Although it may be negative feedback, I am very thankful for having one of our titles being covered. I do understand what Jason and the rest of the discussions on the internet are saying for the most part. I am not sure if I can implement the critiques from him and others around the internet into my future artistic creations, but I will definitely keep in mind that these opinions are out there and affect people on a personal level. I feel that any form of media content faces death when it doesn’t receive attention at all. So, be it criticism or support, I am truly thankful for the people talking about Dragon’s Crown and the people discovering Vanillaware for the first time.

In regards to the Dwarf image I posted on my Facebook page: This image was never intended to attack Jason. Originally, it was a promotional image that I created for my fan base in Japan, which I posted to the official Vanillaware Twitter account earlier.

We receive many requests from companies to create publicity illustrations for the game, but we never received any requests for the Dwarf. Also, as the game’s street date nears, most retail shops start requesting exclusive art for their retailer-exclusive bonus items. In Japan, these illustration requests can even be as specific as something like female characters in swimwear. In these requests as well, the Dwarf was nowhere to be seen.

So, I decided to unofficially draw a sweaty Dwarf in a bathing suit, with a bit of cynicism towards those retailer requests. I drew 3 of them to show that there are character color variations available.

However, this image is something I created on my own, and will not see the light of day in any publication. I felt it was a shame to just throw it out, and thought I’d just post it on my own Facebook. That’s when I remembered Jason’s article and thought that I’d post it as a little joke with a comment. I used an automated translator to try and make a lighthearted joke in English, but clearly that wasn’t the case. I was very surprised to see the crazy aftermath.

It’s okay if it was just me who was criticized, but it is not my intention to cause problems for Dragon’s Crown publisher (ATLUS) and all the other people who are involved in this project. From now on, I will limit myself about transmitting something personal out in the public.

Also, it would be very appreciated if you could please contact Index Digital Media, Inc. if you plan to make anything related to this matter, including this e-mail, into an article.

Lastly, please tell Jason that I am sorry for causing him trouble, and also to please don’t let my actions cause him to shy away from Vanillaware products…

Good bye, and thank you.

Kamitani basically confirmed my thoughts on his intentions.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Let me guess, the Kotaku link has multiple pics of the sorceress plastered all over it for people to click, but no pictures of the dwarves?

Ryuukan

"Also, as the game’s street date nears, most retail shops start requesting exclusive art for their retailer-exclusive bonus items. "

Hard hitting reporting by Scherier yet again! The Lois Lane of our time

Good on Kamitami for explaining his stance and apologizing, but this shouldn't have been an issue at all. Especially considering the other stuff Kotaku posts.

Binabik15

Well, I'm offended on a personal level by people who are offended by his art, so I hope he takes that into account and doesn't change his style.

Also, bikini dwarf is hilarious.

I exaggerated the silhouettes of all the masculine features in the male characters, the feminine features in female characters, and the monster-like features in the monsters from many different angles until each had a unique feel to them. I apologize to those who were made uncomfortable by the art’s appearance, and did not see the same light-hearted fantasy in my designs.

So basically what most of us knew already.

Seems Kamitani has class. I'm buying this game, come hell or high water. I like how it looks. The sorceress reminds me of my wife.

Coxy

what a nice guy and what a shame kotaku didnt question him about it BEFORE writing their horrible articles, despite constantly complaining themselves about the same thing.

None of this is news to me or anyone not desperately reaching for outrage clickbait though.

sleepykyo

Let me guess, the Kotaku link has multiple pics of the sorceress plastered all over it for people to click, but no pictures of the dwarves?

You would be correct. Select screen with Sorceress focus for headline and sorceress gif for article. Select screen centered on Sorceress for clickbait on main page.

ubercheez

I think it's really unfortunate that this escalated to the point of the artist having to defend his own designs, but hopefully this will blow over now and Dragon's Crown can gain some good publicity out of it.

Yopis

Guy is a great artist guess the backlash will end after all women in games are fully covered with small breast. Glad games are for kids and don't need anything adult added.

Always great when Kotaku--perhaps one of the most shameless websites I know of--decides to take a random stand against something pretty goddamn innocuous.

Forkball

I need Kamiya's opinion on the whole situation.

I agree with Kamitani here. This idea of exaggeration is prevalent across his artwork for the game (and elsewhere). Yes, he sexualizes his female characters and that always opens a big can of worms, but I feel that there is a sense of ridiculousness to them as well that gives them a bit of personality. I personally love his art and wish it were in more games.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
You would be correct. Select screen with Sorceress focus for headline and sorceress gif for article. Select screen centered on Sorceress for clickbait on main page.

I have such a hard time buying the argument that the writer truly believes this sort of thing is "toxic" or "damaging" when the person saying it posts an article framed like that. He very well may, and I'm sure he'll pop up in here and mention it, but the impression I get is that there's no real conviction perceived behind it, regardless of his actual feelings.

Salaadin

Props to Kamitani for explaining himself. I think a lot of us already assumed that this was the case but seeing him confirm it help.

I hope the game sells better because of all this.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
"Also, as the game’s street date nears, most retail shops start requesting exclusive art for their retailer-exclusive bonus items. "
I don't think he's referring to what you think he's referring to there.

He's almost definitely talking about making pinup illustrations for those exclusive limited-edition phone cards that Japanese retailers love so much.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Props to Kamitani for explaining himself. I think a lot of us already assumed that this was the case but seeing him confirm it help.

I hope the game sells better because of all this.

Awareness of DC is cranked way up these past couple weeks, it's been nothing but good for the publisher getting the word out.

JDSN

Banned
Pretty decent on him for apologizing for causing trouble when Jason is the one that came off as a vindictive ass accusing him of homophobia, "lolicon" drawings (lol) and calling him a 14 year old. Also, bonus on Jason for including that gif in order to downplay the artist´s point, proving that he still doesnt get it despite the patience and point of views expressed by people that can see past their own insecurities. I thought the guy was improving and fixing his past mistakes, but I was wrong.

I think Penny-Arcade put it best:

Ratrat

Pretty decent on him for apologizing for causing trouble when Jason is the one that came off as a vindictive ass accusing him of homophobia, "lolicon" drawings (lol) and calling him a 14 year old.
Kotaku really are the worst.

Jac_Solar

It’s okay if it was just me who was criticized, but it is not my intention to cause problems for Dragon’s Crown publisher (ATLUS) and all the other people who are involved in this project. From now on, I will limit myself about transmitting something personal out in the public.

Games journalism +1?

Instead of praising individuality, or even art/person that doesn't obey whatever the current trend is, people attack it/them.

I posted this earlier, but the post with the image did not look like it tried to indicate that J.Schreier is gay. It looked more like he was saying, "So, females with exaggerated attributes are not ok, but males are?"

Overall, I'm extremely disappointed with how J.Schreier has handled all of this. Thought he was a reasonable person.

Ramune

Bonus items are like the many telephoto cards with special illustrations based from the game on offer. Majority ARE about the female characters. Check out AmiAmi for examples in their video game section.

The whole "OMG, your gay!" thing is mostly an American stigma that was quickly applied to the Kamitani picture. The line even read like a Google translated sentence. Glad he cleared the air, and hopefully SOME peace is restored. :-\

I think it's really unfortunate that this escalated to the point of the artist having to defend his own designs, but hopefully this will blow over now and Dragon's Crown can gain some good publicity out of it.

I might be wrong but I thought the main reason all this escalated was because he originally responded to the critique of his work by posting an imagine that seemingly called the guy gay? Beyond that it was just another Kotaku article which people wouldn't have given a damn about

Frodo

I want some more dwarf art. Can I get some with animated bulges and stuff? Please?

On topic: the artwork did stand out as planned. No doubt about that.

This debacle has finally made me stop visiting Kotaku permanently.

I completely understand the gender inequality presented in the video game industry, but it shouldn't detract from creating stylized art.

I feel the inequality exists outside of the character designs; in the way Elizabeth wasn't on the cover of Infinite, or the ridiculous statements from the developers of Tomb Raider regarding Lara. Those are strong examples of gender inequality, and absolutely need to change.

Top Bottom