• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why does GTA5 (current gen) look better than Watch Dogs (next gen)?

DR3AM

I just saw all the new gta trailers and it looks phenomenal. A new watch dog trailer was also realases this week and while it looked good, I would play gta5 over wd anytime.

Mobius 1

The art direction for GTA5 is very distinct from the realistic approach of Watch Dogs. It's a matter of preference.

RobotHaus

Unconfirmed Member
Different tech, also GTA and Rockstar games in general have a very cinematic and high production value feel. So they have a lot more money and resources to spend on a game.

Plus, Watch Dogs is multigen, so it's not going to be focused on next gen entirely.

Kamikaze8

Neo Member
Watch_Dogs is current gen. If you say the reveal it said it was releasing for Xbox 360, PS3, PC and next gen consoles. Not next gen and last gen consoles.

Lingitiz

The fact that Watch Dogs is going to be 1080p on PC and Next gen alone puts it far above GTAV for me. Although I'm sure when GTAV finally gets a PC version it will look quite nice.

Madness

Wait till we get solid footage of GTA V running on an xbox 360 etc.

Also, Rockstar is one of the premier studios in the industry, they wouldn't half-ass one the biggest IP they have or cut corners.

But is it really better? Since both games aren't out, we can't say for sure at all.

Kallor

One is a billion dollar franchise the other is a new IP from a company that doesn't do anything particularly good. Thats why.

GTAV has some ugly looking stuff even in those trailer though. People are going to be a bit disappointed if they go into the game expecting GTAV> next gen.

Sorian

Banned
Judging from Ubisoft's track record, expect Watch_Dogs to be a snore fest while Watch_Dogs 2 will be phenomonal. They will start whoring out the franchise from there which will slowly move you towards utter disappointment.

IHaveIce

Banned
first of all watch_dogs is cross gen and even a Wii U game (Hah!) and second except you mean for the style of the game( which would be absolutely subjective) it doesn't look better at all from what we've seen?

Because they're showing cutscenes.

Even if they are in-game cutscenes.

Once we see the same uninspiring gameplay mechanics from past GTA games, you will reset your expectations.

Neiteio

Watch_Dog never looked good, imo. Nice effects, but fairly droll palette and pedestrian art direction. I think it made a bigger impact than it should have, simply because it had the benefit of being a truly new (as in previously unknown) AAA title unveiled at E3. The show had a severe case of sequelitis up to that point and so it was refreshing to see something new... even if that something was at its core another TPS.

Zuly

Budget, the team behind it, a bazillion reasons more?

Should this really be a concern for you to have?

UrbanRats

It doesn't.

Unless you mean in terms of art direction, which is subjective.

We have yet to see Watch Dogs on current gen hardware, also.

Haunted

Both seem to be targeting current-gen and are being up-ported to PC (+ PS4/Durango in the case of Watch_Dogs).

That said, I don't think GTAV looks better than Watch_Dogs.

The Jason

GTA5 looks great but I bet we will see some bad frame rates and pop-in. Also while gta has better art direction, I think watch dogs will look better in-game.

Now a next gen version of gta5, that would look really amazing.

Persona86

Banned
Because they're showing cutscenes.

Even if they are in-game cutscenes.

Once we see the same uninspiring gameplay mechanics from past GTA games, you will reset your expectations.

It has improved Max Payne 3 gameplay in an open world. That alone sounds amazing to me, not to mention everything else I've heard. :D

Ubisoft NPC characters are usually blend and generic looking with flavorless lead characters.

the Character Designs in Ubi games lead character lovers to a loss of interest in their character art direction

this is how i feel about most Ubi games, their characters are so blend

kazebyaka

Banned
Obligatory gif
watch_dog-1ak74j.gif

watch dogs is gonna be such a shit game. it's by ubisoft...and it's open world. it will feel repetitive after a few hours.

Unfortunately I think you are spot on. After loving the initial hours of Far Cry 3, the game gets pretty boring after some time. And AC does not need to be mentioned I think. Ubisoft has created such a boring formula for their open world games.

UrbanRats

I like how some seem to consider Ubisoft some kind of small underdog when it comes to budget, lol.
They can and will pour 100 millions into a big game.
I'm far more worried about WD than GTAV though, as it's a new IP and their output has been more spotty with me.
The gameplay they've shown looks good, but most of it was the dude walking around.

onQ123

I just saw all the new gta trailers and it looks phenomenal. A new watch dog trailer was also realases this week and while it looked good, I would play gta5 over wd anytime.

Because they had 8/7 years to learn the ins & outs of the Xbox 360 & PS3 to get the best out of it.

but on another note you have only seen videos I bet Watch Dog will look a lot better when you are playing the games.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
GTA V looks like shit to me. Terrible character models.

Why does the hyperbole stops there? While you are at it, why don't you call GTA V the worst looking game ever made?
----

As for the topic, I think WD is more impressive tech wise, but the art-direction of GTA V is much more appealing to the eye, and that's why probably some think it looks better.

Top Bottom