• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTTP: The Battalion Wars games...

Shaanyboi

Banned
I've been thinking alot about games Nintendo could bring to WiiU that could benefit from the controller - things that maybe aren't the obvious examples of their usual library.

The Battalion Wars games popped in my mind. The action/strategy blend I remember being super interesting, and now that I think about what the Gamepad and dual-screen functionality could add to that series, it makes me want it more. While not hugely successful (the second one bombed horribly if I remember correctly...), they offered an interesting new strategy franchise for consoles which Nintendo obviously wasn't really doing much of at the time, and worked as an interesting companion piece to the Advance Wars games.

battalion-wars-2-4e265ec68f4e0.jpg

935183_20080108_screen020.jpg

battalion-wars-2-20060914072926483.jpg

wiibattalion.jpg

WII11.pre_open.bat02--screenshot_large.jpg

battalion-wars-2-20070711000626827.jpg

I'm going to start looking for the two originals on Gamecube and Wii to see if they (in any way) hold up to make me want another one. I played a lot of the Wii one, and I remember really enjoying it overall.

What's GAF's impressions on these games? Any memories? Any hopes for their return? Anyone yelling at the screen because I made them remember them?

Neo Child

Banned
Very hard but a fun twist on advance wars. Thought the graphics on the wii version were really nice. Nailed the cartoony look.

Dascu

The original was an unexpected gem. Really enjoyed it. But I still haven't gotten around to play the sequel.

I feel this is one of those games that could really benefit from the WiiU gamepad. Perfect to switch from direct unit control to tactical planning and map oversight.

Risgroo

I played the hell out of the first game, though I didn't play too much of the second. I really liked it though, so I guess it's time for a new playthrough. Online was pretty fun as well, but I guess that's dead by now.

I kinda liked the first game on Gamecube, but the unit control system felt a bit clunky at times. The cartoony presentation was a lot more fun than I expected.

Gummb

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about Rayman Legends Wii U.
Great series that deserves a Wii U iteration. I feel bad that I didn't do my part in supporting BWii when it came out. :(

MarkusRJR

I thought the first was really clunky but fun and had a lot of personality, but I absolutely loved the second one. The widescreen and new controls helped the playability of the game and I loved the look of the game.

It's up there with Star Fox in terms of under appreciated Nintendo franchises currently in limbo.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I'd really appreciate a Wii U version of this franchise, with heavy Gamepad features
Maybe a little more polished in some aspect

Shaanyboi

Banned
I honestly find it really encouraging that I'm not the only one that found enjoyment in these games...

Battalion Wars U; MAKE IT HAPPEN, NINTENDO

Danielsan

They should definitely make a real time Advance Wars/Battalion Wars where the Gamepad screen is used as a top down overview, and by tapping your troops you can seamlessly switch between them to fight the real time battles.

I'm not that much of a strategy guy, but I really enjoyed the looks of these games and being able to control all the different vehicles and weapons.
I (almost) regret selling them. Would buy an HD iteration though.

D_prOdigy

I really liked them. The strategy element was never going to be quite so nuanced or intricate as Advance Wars, but the action was great. Just so fun to play.

I had a prolonged phase of addiction to BWii's online mode. I dare say I was the best player in the world ever.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I honestly find it really encouraging that I'm not the only one that found enjoyment in these games...

Battalion Wars U; MAKE IT HAPPEN, NINTENDO

They were fun, and the Wii episode also had very good graphics and online play.
I'd just like heavy gamepad involvment and also more polish element in terms of "order" on the battlefield (and the gamepad would be helpful under this aspect)

Shaanyboi

Banned
They were fun, and the Wii episode also had very good graphics and online play.
I'd just like heavy gamepad involvment and also more polish element in terms of "order" on the battlefield (and the gamepad would be helpful under this aspect)

The dynamic between the touch screen and the TV definitely is the thing that seems too perfect...

Being able to have control over the large scale conflict with a touch screen, dragging units, tapping commands etc. while you deal with the immediate conflict up on the TV.

Top Bottom