• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

10 years later, ‘Star Wars Kid’ speaks out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sapiens

I used to go to school with Ghislain, he was always terrorizing us with his threats of using his Jedi mind tricks on us. The whole school. He was really cocky about it all and dead serious. Star Wars was real to him. He made everything about Star Wars.

"No one gives a shit about Star Wars, Ghizzy, fuck off already."

Then this video happened and it really humbled him.

Now he's a lawyer and he says he's going to sue us for any little thing.

Wow,10 years ago. Feel bad him.:(
Hey, Zozz that type of drive by posting is looked down upon. Pet Peeve of Evilore and many other posters. Careful next time.

Zozz

Banned
7rzqzOk.gif

TommyT

I used to go to school with Ghislain, he was always terrorizing us with his threats of using his Jedi mind tricks on us. The whole school. He was really cocky about it all and dead serious. Star Wars was real to him. He made everything about Star Wars.

lovWMOh.jpg

You know, for some reason I thought he did commit suicide so in that respect I'm pleased he still is alive. Its a shame it doesn't always end that way.

ZiZ

if a bunch of people told me to commit suicide, I'd probably stay alive just to spite them, hell I'd probably start eating healthy just to outlive them.

11 fucking years? I remember there being a site that hosted all the "remixes", which were ridiculously well done. There was an aura of mystery surrounding The Stars Wars Kid, you couldn't even be sure it wasn't a hoax. And when it circulated that the eponymous kid's name was "Ghyslain", you doubted it even more.

Polari

Can you take a joke and comments from assholes? Do it, more power to you.

I don't know if you remember but the video was ridiculously popular at the time, even for a meme. I can't imagine how much it would have wrecked my head if a similar thing had happened to me at that age. It's like the kid was getting bullied at school and then the whole world joined in.

GeoGonzo

Kids can be such little shits sometimes... why would you tell this guy to "kill himself"? What could they possibly get out of it?

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
Rule of the internet, don't want to be made fun of? Don't put stupid shit online. Can you take a joke and comments from assholes? Do it, more power to you.

Rule of the GAF, read the OP.

I feel sorry for the dude, but at least memes and shit always pass fairly quickly. Glad he overcame it and managed to be successful in life so far.

Herne

Damn, what kind of sick people would tell him to commit suicide because he was featured in a silly online video? What reason do they have to say that to him? Mankind is fucked up. I laughed at the video, sure, it was funny as hell. But I was laughing with him more than anything, because it was obvious he had the same passion that I had for that universe and those characters. Which one of us didn't emulate Darth Maul back around that time? Good on him for speaking up.

Also, Ghyslain is an awesome name.

params7

Banned

Okay if he was like that then..

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
Let's not forget, if not for him, would we even know what an ebaum is? Do we know now?

Nibel

No way in hell this can be true

WAT

Carcetti

It's really sad how unnecessarily mean people are. I mean the video is hilarious, but why would anyone tell him to kill himself over it? People should be thanking the ones who make internet such an entertaining place to be.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Strong person, I was never under the impression that he was bullied or the act of the video being uploaded was to bully him and that he was being told to commit suicide. Kids can be cruel.

You got a yearbook or something to back this up?

I'm pretty sure he wasn't even pretending to be Star Wars in the video, so I'm calling bullshit.

params7

Banned
Then what? You think he deserved a shitload of people on the internet telling him to go kill himself?

No not really. But if there was some obnoxious kid around me comparing everything to star wars and threatening to sue us I'd tell him to fuck off.

slider

No not really. But if there was some obnoxious kid around me comparing everything to star wars and threatening to sue us I'd tell him to fuck off.

I can't believe I'm saying this given Sapiens post may well have been a joke but the lawyer bit came later in adulthood (unless I'm missing something?).

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
The amount of un-got sarcasm in this thread is maddening. Everyone commit suicide.

McLovin

Anonymity is a bitch, I could never tell someone to kill themselves. And if I did, and they actually went through with it, I honestly don't know if I could live with myself.

MooseKing

Banned
Rule of the internet, don't want to be made fun of? Don't put stupid shit online. Can you take a joke and comments from assholes? Do it, more power to you.

He didn't put it online, and the internet was not even close to the same back in 2003 as it is today. Viral videos weren't really a thing yet. They existed, but you had to go download a .wmv or real media file from someone link etc..

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Wow, the memory works in bizarre ways. I could have SWORN this came out when I was a freshman in college, in 99–00. Oh well. Glad he didn't off himself or anything.

You know, I've seen gifs but I don't think I've ever seen the whole thing. In the context of fail videos and all the other shit on youtube these days, this is pretty lame and barely noteworthy. Sucks that he got made fun of to the degree he did.

It is a little funny though. I like how his confidence builds with every take. The first one he's just testing his skills, but by the end he's a fucking master. But yeah I feel guilty now even writing that. Sorry bud.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)

Thank you for not reading the article before posting your shitty and completely worthless opinion. Great job.

We should make a "WE LOVE YOU STAR WARS KID" thing. He brought laughter to so many people.

According to KnowYourMeme, "On July 16th, 2003, following the mass exposure on Star Wars Kid, Andy Baio and over 400 fans of the video raised $4,334.44 in donations and sent Raza a 30GB iPod, a gift certificate for an electronics store and a “Thank You” letter".

If he hadn't been so upset by the exposure, he probably could have had a cameo in Ep3 and gone out in a blaze of glory at the fall of the Jedi temple.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom