• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Terry Cavanagh (VVVVVV, Super Hexagon) releases first screenshot of Halting Problem

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
so I made a gif that gives a little more away about what's actually going on in the game:

roundabout.gif

In Halting Problem, you solve puzzles by creating infinite loops.

----

haltingxfudk.png

Terry Cavanagh said:
Update time! I have a working title for my puzzle game: Halting Problem. I’m not sure yet if it’s gonna stick, just trying it on.

A proper, meaty puzzle game is something I’ve wanted to make for ages, and I’m having lots of fun just messing around with the mechanics for this one and seeing what I can make out of them. It’s inspired by DROD, but also things like Qrostar games, Zachtronic games, and my flatmate Increpare’s games.

Really excited about this! I think I’m gonna make it my main focus for a while.
Source: http://distractionware.com/blog/2013/05/halting-problem-screenshotsaturday/

Vlad

I'm a huge fan of VVVVVV, and a game drawing inspiration from DRoD and Zachtronics games?

I'm so in.

Tomodachi

Well I hope he doesn't scrap this too, it looks cool. As I understard it, he recently scrapped both games he was working on.

PokéKong

All of Terry's games are inaccessibly difficult and are coated in a flavor of retro nostalgia only a small niche of Commodore 64 loving oldies could fully appreciate, and yet they break every rule by possessing that little bit of magic that somehow can reel in any mainstream non-hardcore gamer. I love that VVVVVV came out on 3DS because I can show it to anybody and they'll be instantly compelled to watch and play and get deeply into it. I can give Super Hexagon to someone and it's like "wow that's impossible I could never do that! ...just one more try." Terry could probably make the next Tetris if he tried.

I'm not really familiar with any of the cited influences for this game but I'm excited anyway, it probably can't go wrong.

Kunan

Will play anything the man releases, be it this or something else if it changes. Spent tons of time with vvvvvv, its user generated levels, and super hexagon.

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
Love VVVVVV and Super Hexagon (altough I still have to finish the latter), mine on D-1.

Will play anything the man releases, be it this or something else if it changes. Spent tons of time with vvvvvv, its user generated levels, and super hexagon.

VVVVVV has user generated levels? WHAT?

balohna

VVVVVV and Super Hexagon are both fantastic. Definitely interested in anything Terry does (though not sure all his freeware output is great, you can't fault the dude for trying some stuff and releasing it for free).

Love VVVVVV and Super Hexagon (altough I still have to finish the latter), mine on D-1.

VVVVVV has user generated levels? WHAT?

Yeah, it got patched in. The one annoying thing is the patch also deleted my save with all the trinkets found :(

TerryCavanagh

Neo Member
so I made a gif that gives a little more away about what's actually going on in the game:

roundabout.gif

Haunted

There's few things less appealing to me than a grid-based push blocks puzzler.

Cavanaugh does good games though, so he has my attention.

TerryCavanagh

Neo Member
Lolo is totally an inspiration too, along with a lot of other things :) Lolo 2 is one of the few puzzle games I ever actually beat as a kid.

(also, it's hard to show how just right now, but while it is technically a game about pushing blocks around, there's something else going on that makes it feel very different from those sorts of games)

BanGy.nz

Banned
Souleye and Chipzel created amazing music for you in your past games, I can't wait to hear what you've got lined for this one. Yay puzzle games.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel

roundabout.gif

Looking good so far Terry. I love VVVVVV, looking forward to this as well. Didn't know you made Super Hexagon too, it's on my Steam wishlist actually. Maybe I'll buy that now that I realize you made it, LOL.

mclem

First video makes it look like Sokoban.

I'm assuming it can't be a straight Sokoban clone, that'd be a bit disappointing, and the second video suggests something more interesting. I'm wondering if it might be somewhat akin to XOR - but the mention of Zachtronics' work intrigues me, and, well, doesn't fit in the slightest with what I'm envisioning. Looking forward to finding out!

Edit: Seen the followup. Definitely intrigued.

mclem

the main dude is basically a square Lolo

Nah, he's basically the result of a torrid 3-way between Dizzy, Captain Viridian and a breezeblock.

(also, it's hard to show how just right now, but while it is technically a game about pushing blocks around, there's something else going on that makes it feel very different from those sorts of games)

I'll guess that the infinite loop serves a purpose of ferrying something from A to B. Possibly manipulating it on the way.

ampere

Love Terry's games so I'm excited about this, well I love/hate Super Hexagon because that game drives me nuts.

Slightly off topic, but in a recent WoW patch there is a boss inspired by Super Hexagon. It drove me just as insane as Super Hexagon xP

Well fuck, get back to work!

Didn't you watch the NeoGAF documentary? Checking GAF 100 times a day is part of a developer's work :p

Top Bottom