• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splinter Cell Blacklist - MCM London Comicon stage demo gameplay with Scott Lee

Sober

There are two parts to this, the first shows off the Paladin, which is the gamespace hub of the game and through some of the menu systems, customization menus and look at other NPCs on your team.

There is some new gameplay video, at least a more direct feed, which really only existed as shaky cam footage from PAX the last bits I linked. This is still from the older build in January and the same levels (Benghazi, daytime; London, nighttime) but they show more off like pre-mission briefings and in mission cutscenes and some more segments they haven't shown. There is a third part during tomorrow, if I can find it I will link to it. Supposed to be a more action-oriented look at the game though.

Warning: The sound mixing is pretty shitty, there is either really bad mixing between the stage discussion and the game playing over it or a ton of feedback.

Also the guy playing the demo is kinda crappy at the game, but still worth watching. I took some notes for those who want the details (esp. part 1 where they play the game over some Q&A, talking). I also believe I read that the people who streamed it is putting up a better quality video, hopefully they clean up the sound a bit.

First part, 30 mins: Scott Lee going over the Paladin hub area and all the different options you get, small run up to the start of the Benghazi (first mission in BL)

(some time stamps for gameplay since they mostly talk on stage)

-London Comic Con presentation with Scott Lee, Art Director for SCBL
-worked for DC Comics, later worked on Scarface (on PS2) Prototype, Max Payne 3
here is a very good article about his career leading up to Blacklist

-Paladin (hub) overview with other NPCs (starts around 4 mins in)
-customization system briefly shown off, many options to allow different gameplay modes (starts 7 minutes in)
-certain equipment pieces allow for different gear loadouts; more pistol/2-handed weapon ammo, gadgets, etc, also stealth/armour ratings different
-also plenty of cosmetic options, e.g. goggle colours, camo styles
-all upgrades/weapons have physical representations in the Paladin
-SMI - new menu system shown off, how it links SP/Co-op/MP together
-pre-order bonus (Upper Echelon suit) is the Chaos Theory suit for those that want it
-can hop inbetween game modes on the fly, no need to dig through menus
-14 co-op maps, all SP/co-op/MP maps are original, no reused content (except maybe barrels and crates)
-taking lessons from older SC games, admits the last few SC games were a bit weak
-emphasis on mini sandbox-style levels
-showing an older build from january
-showing off mission briefing for the first mission (Benghazi, day time mission), some game play, secondary objectives - starts around 19 mins in
-Sam no longer the lone wolf with the handler; has to lead a team from the start, eventually watch the 4E team grow

Second part, 30 mins: showing off the London night time mission

London - stealth runthrough live demonstration said:
-perfectionist difficulty - stripped abilities, not simply difficulty ramp up
-cannot execute, no frontal takedowns allowed, no sonar goggles (see through walls), one-shot one-kill
-can see difference b/w armour types, more stealthy armours look lighter
-room at 12 min in, can be entered in multiple ways
-all lights in the game are dynamic - can be switched off by switch, destruction or EMP
-levels have multiple approaches, in instance of the mill, multiple connected floors, can climb around it outside to approach it differently
-possible to bypass all enemies, can finish the game with no kills, maybe some segments that might require you to neutralize enemies to proceed (non-lethal a possibility of course)
-heavy archtype enemy, cannot be attacked from ahead, requires more effort to disable (possibly the same in co-op that requires well-timed mark and executes to kill)
-forced stealth segment during London mission - cannot be detected, no enemies touched
-co-op has split screen
-BL's story will standalone, written so that old games are not required reading in a sense
-graphic novel is lead-in into the game for the game

Part 3, which is a little longer (40 mins or so) and supposed to be more action-y.

Watching the gameplay segments give a decent indication to how Eric Johnson (the new guy as Sam Fisher) plays him. It's not Michael Ironside's voice but he seems to have captured the tone of him really well and how he speaks in general. Doesn't seem to have too much black humour in the way you might expect from other games though I'd be surprised how much there might (or might not) be. You can definitely tell from the mission briefing segment in the first video that this is a 6-months after Conviction and the team is really on shaky ground from their interactions simply in the briefing, especially Sam and Grim (if you followed the events in SC: Conviction). How you rate cutscenes in games is up to the individual but the process of crafting them is pretty impressive if anyone wants to see videos in that area of the development process.

It is an old build so there are some indicators but it looks okay give or take some really rough noticeable glitches (like the gun on his back looking like it's popping between LOD models as he runs). Apparently it just looks and plays better with the build they have now but it seems like the bulk of the stuff they showed this year came from this build from January which looks pretty good already.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Bought... so hard. Perfectionist difficulty sounds like perfection.

I like the new VA... I mean it isn't MI who is Sam Fisher, but this new guy has a good delivery for what it is.

edit: my only real complaint is that sound seems completely irrelevant to stealth now. I would have liked a little more breathing room (compared to the kinda janky sound mechanic in CT) but ditching it entirely is eh... not too cool imo.

I honestly would buy this if the story and dialogue didn't look like such utter crap

edit: you can also clearly see kill rewards at the mission prep screen for the number of kills you get with certain items. i wish rewards weren't just based on kills.

Sober

Someone just made the hilarious observation where he sleeping gassed some guard and dropped down on top of one of them without really being affected by it.

edit: ^^^ there are also stealth ones that popped up during gameplay but yeah kinda weird it seemed to only scroll the violent-er, louder options across the top there.

Sober

Bought... so hard. Perfectionist difficulty sounds like perfection.

I like the new VA... I mean it isn't MI who is Sam Fisher, but this new guy has a good delivery for what it is.

edit: my only real complaint is that sound seems completely irrelevant to stealth now. I would have liked a little more breathing room (compared to the kinda janky sound mechanic in CT) but ditching it entirely is eh... not too cool imo.

For sound I believe it is better tuned in the later build. The community members that got to play co-op (which is the latest build for demo purposes) said that AI and sound especially is much harder to game than you see in the January build, as far as they have said. The sprint ability (standing or crouched) generates noticeable noise and the AI will hear it, as is trying to abduct a guard too close to others rather than making whistle-corner grab into free and completely safe KO methods. I believe there is some variable speed, though not old SC 5-speeds but the AI will notice if you try to go anything but the slowest from behind them, this might also vary difficulty to difficulty but this was already present in at least normal (or whatever medium difficulty was).

DrBo42

For sound I believe it is better tuned in the later build. The community members that got to play co-op (which is the latest build for demo purposes) said that AI and sound especially is much harder to game than you see in the January build, as far as they have said. The sprint ability (standing or crouched) generates noticeable noise and the AI will hear it, as is trying to abduct a guard too close to others rather than making whistle-corner grab into free and completely safe KO methods. I believe there is some variable speed, though not old SC 5-speeds but the AI will notice if you try to go anything but the slowest from behind them, this might also vary difficulty to difficulty but this was already present in at least normal (or whatever medium difficulty was).

Do we have any idea what the stealth attribute is? Is it quieter gear? More time when that caution Conviction meter appears?

Sober

Do we have any idea what the stealth attribute is? Is it quieter gear? More time when that caution Conviction meter appears?
Probably just lighter/softer materials for stealth meaning you create less noise and harder to spot versus, on the other end of the spectrum assault gear being bulky and loud (if it's like armour plates clanking around), possibly easier to spot if it's a reflective surface or something along those lines. Nothing really entirely groundbreaking but it'll do fine.

There's just slightly less than 3 months to go, and probably in 60 days they will go gold so it sounds like most of the time they've been spending is on tweaking and trying to balance everything on all fronts at this point.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Haven't watched the video but does the gameplay look more like old splinter or a mix of old/conviction style gameplay ?

Mix of Old/Conviction if it's like the newer builds they showed off. Basically you still have Mark and Execute (with no option to turn that off) to where you can use it in a pinch if you get spotted, but at the same time don't need to use it and can "ghost" levels instead of being all out assault, compared to Convictions "fuck stealth!" approach.

Mix of Old/Conviction if it's like the newer builds they showed off. Basically you still have Mark and Execute (with no option to turn that off) to where you can use it in a pinch if you get spotted, but at the same time don't need to use it and can "ghost" levels instead of being all out assault, compared to Convictions "fuck stealth!" approach.

It looks alright I guess. I'll wait and see what gaf thinks before deciding but if it's able to recapture the last 3 games and be less like conviction. I might bite despite thinking conviction was okay for what it was

Sober

I am still worried a bit about the length of the missions. I thought the plant tracker segment was the end of the London mission (don't get detected, leave all enemies untouched), at least from previews. If there's more to it I'd be surprised as it seemed like the start of that mission actually was the start and didn't cut to a segment ahead of that (where you actually infiltrate towards the area before finding an entrance into the mill).

I mean, the guy demoing it was pretty crappy but still managed to navigate through it relatively quickly even taking his time (each video maybe had 12-20 minutes of actual gameplay at best). I am a bit concerned all the fluid movement/navigation will ultimately make the levels feel really small even if they aren't if most of the basic maneuvers can get you around to places pretty quick. Unless they did a really good job and just snipped out what they needed for demo purposes but actually have much more in terms of how the missions are divided into (since SCC had a pretty decent map size in SP for how fast you could move).

Next video is probably that action-oriented shootout segment I've heard so much about where you probably have Kobin by the neck under one arm and just pistoling everyone down with the other. Might be fun to watch. They are apparently also retooling that to be able to be stealthed through with no kills for the obvious no-kills-achievement.

Pooya

the gameplay is alright, they're giving proper options, already a lot better than Conviction and shooting everyone and onto next room approach. I just hope level design is good and they actually have open ended sand box like levels and everything isn't super linear like Conviction/SC1/2 were.

the gameplay is alright, they're giving proper options, already a lot better than Conviction and shooting everyone and onto next room approach. I just hope level design is good and they actually have open ended sand box like levels and everything isn't super linear like Conviction/SC1/2 were.

I get the impression they really did go a good deal toward giving more freedom to choose lethal and non this time around, and they are certainly doing enough press to try to show it/sell it. I am still very hesitant to believe we may finally get back to a tolerable SC, but the more I see the more hope sneaks in.

In all honesty, I think the player (no offense intended to the poor guy) really did a poor job showcasing the levels. There were many opportunities to show off this level exploration they keep talking about, open level design... The button prompts were there (such as out the window to around the London stage), he just seemed more apt to go straight at targets with little thought. So it SEEMS as though the levels are fairly open, we just didn't get a very proper showcase of it.

Splinter Cell: Blacklist |OT| Will the real Sam Fisher please stand up?

Maybe?

No MI, no Sam Fisher. This va is doing an 'ok' job from the sound of it... But I honestly don't feel any voice besides MI will be Sam Fisher for me at least. I really wish they would have just retired Sam and given a new character as the operative.

DrBo42

Actually Perfectionist mode has Mark and Execute taken out. Or at least the Execute portion of it.

Sober

Just skip maybe 28 minutes into the video, the game was crashing a bunch and it really only showed anything new there.

Woffls

Right, it's great to hear that perfectionist mode exists, but if the game wasn't designed to accommodate it then it will just be broken and not fun. I'll wait for GAF feedback on this game before buying, because I'm sure reviewers won't play it on perfectionist mode... or even anything above normal.

Evolved1

Right, it's great to hear that perfectionist mode exists, but if the game wasn't designed to accommodate it then it will just be broken and not fun. I'll wait for GAF feedback on this game before buying, because I'm sure reviewers won't play it on perfectionist mode... or even anything above normal.

I'm there Day 1 for perfectionist... will have impressions (on pretty much just that) straightaway.

<--- Kind of a Splinter Cell fanatic, though I try not to look at the OG games through rose tinted glasses. They all have some issues, even beloved SP:CT.

You'll probably be able to do both.

I hope so. Really the only reason I wonder instead of assumnig is that I've spotted them decline comment on thaqt and off tv play a few times in the last few weeks. Makes me consider that they may not want to put any more man hours in than the stuff they've shown already.

Evolved1

Seems really strange without Ironside :(

Doesn't matter; Spy Versus Merc.

It really is strange. I feel like the blow is somewhat lessened though, because I like the new voice actor's tone/delivery.

Still, I would have preferred Ironside. :(

Interrogations just wont be the same.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Man, the game still looks clunky. His animations aren't as good as they should be. Still not a fan of Mark/Execute and that vision where you see through walls.

So far the most promising Blacklist has looked was watching THIS gameplay

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9SvRX-8pZ4

muted with THIS audio

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hf2rxPWchuY

Try it out and you almost get a new type of Chaos Theory. Can you still do custom soundtracks on the 360? It might be useful for this game.

There's really nothing worse video-wise than watching a bad Splinter Cell or MGS player. Infuriating.

Especially MGS2 and MGS3.

"The controls are bad."

No you're bad lol

dummydecoy

Can't accept this Sam as the same old, slow, methodical Sam I knew in SC1. Should have been a new agent, Ubi.

ircZ4h14vgdJx.gif

Alienous

Can't accept this Sam as the same old, slow, methodical Sam I knew in SC1. Should have been a new agent, Ubi.

ircZ4h14vgdJx.gif

They already made that agent: Griggs. If only they had passed the baton, we could have Sam in an advisory role (voiced by Ironside), a new character who is more athletic than Sam, and less story dissonance (
Sam talking about his daughter in the gameplay highlights how he shouldn't be on the field. I would imagine that after Conviction, Sam would be spending the remainder of his life making up for lost time
).

Sober

They already made that agent: Griggs. If only they had passed the baton, we could have Sam in an advisory role (voiced by Ironside), a new character who is more athletic than Sam, and less story dissonance (
Sam talking about his daughter in the gameplay highlights how he shouldn't be on the field. I would imagine that after Conviction, Sam would be spending the remainder of his life making up for lost time
).
"The terrorists have your daughter!" would be the only real reason I could see them forcing him back in. Expecting some real mental acrobatics required to reason him back into the game I guess.

Here's an article about Eric Johnson playing Sam Fisher: http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/gaming/...eric-johnson-on-being-the-new-sam-fisher.html

Little weird fact, he and Ironside have worked together before when he was younger, so I guess it all worked out in a way?

DrBo42

ircZ4h14vgdJx.gif

The amount of strength it would take to lob someone like that... It was ridiculous in Conviction and it's even worse here due to the contrast in style/animation of everything else. It just doesn't fit.

Sojgat

ircZ4h14vgdJx.gif

LOL, it looks like he's taking him behind the barrier to hide the body, then just randomly decides to throw him at the wall like Superman.

Evolved1

LOL, it looks like he's taking him behind the barrier to hide the body, then just randomly decides to throw him at the wall like Superman.

I was hoping that was a bug or something... :(

DrBo42

I was hoping that was a bug or something... :(

Nah, it was in Conviction. It's another example at how bad the guy demoing it is. He meant to smash his head against that concrete block but if you're at all moving during that input, you throw instead.

Something is not right when videos of a game don't even pass 1 page in the forum. Very concerned about sales.

Let's hope the game turns out alright at the least.

Sober

Something is not right when videos of a game don't even pass 1 page in the forum. Very concerned about sales.

Let's hope the game turns out alright at the least.
Bomba alert is all but certain.

If you look at my hype thread, there is actually a serious lack of hype. Maybe 2 pages on 50ppp, barely through one on 100pp. Or maybe it was my fault posting it two months to release.

Any actual hype left for the game is SvM, mostly because the last time there was SvM was at the start of this console generation with Double Agent, and most people will agree it was shitty. And here comes SvM again but with very little hype behind it because they refuse to really show off much of it, officially at least.

People have played the new SvM, by all accounts it is fantastic and everyone who has tried it is extremely confident in it. Well, unless you are the devs of course and just keep holding back showing any actual footage that isn't longer than 5 seconds at a time.

Maybe all the marketing dollars got sent to watch_dogs instead.

SJRB

Gold Member

ircZ4h14vgdJx.gif

Holy shit at that Superman hurl, hahaha!

I don't know about this game, the only reason to buy it is probably Spies vs Mercs.

bidguy

Banned
wow mgs5 looks a lot better (graphically)
i think ill pick that one up after the mess that was conviction

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member

One is a current gen only title, while the other games has been shown on PC. What do you expect?

BigBoss

Nah, it was in Conviction. It's another example at how bad the guy demoing it is. He meant to smash his head against that concrete block but if you're at all moving during that input, you throw instead.

I don't think Sam threw the enemies anywhere near that far in Conviction, that gif looks comical.

Sober

Ubisoft pretty much refuses to show the PC version at all, except it was spotted a few times at E3, at the Nvidia booth I believe. It's not the best looking game but does fare pretty well considering they have to work with a gimped UE2.5 engine.

If you mean if it'll play like Conviction did, maybe it'll feel like it but it leans closer to CT on the whole.

I don't think Sam threw the enemies anywhere near that far in Conviction, that gif looks comical.
SC: Blacklist x Saints Row IV crossover (delicious irony they are releasing the same day)

I reaaally want to know if the wii u will forego split screen for one on the pad, one on the tv. They've yet to confirm, but thast would make a real difference for where I'd go to play this.

Its such an obvious use that it would be very unfortunate if they didn't. The good news is that they seem to be really using the gamepad even utilizing the gyroscope for control of the drone. In fact I can't think of a Wii U game with splitscreen co-op that didn't use one person with gamepad as an option (Black Ops 2, Warriors Orochi 3 and Lego Batman 2) so I think chances are good.

Its such an obvious use that it would be very unfortunate if they didn't. The good news is that they seem to be really using the gamepad even utilizing the gyroscope for control of the drone. In fact I can't think of a Wii U game with splitscreen co-op that didn't use one person with gamepad as an option (Black Ops 2, Warriors Orochi 3 and Lego Batman 2) so I think chances are good.

Sonic Racing does it as well.

Top Bottom