• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Splinter Cell Blacklist PS3 (2013)

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
81JI5WnSOWL.jpg

So this is my first splinter cell games, most people have played them all but not the case with me. This game feels very current, the gameplay, tweaking suits, guns all feels very forward thinking and not looking back into the mirror of 2013. Splinter Cell Blacklist is pretty good.

Ubisoft-Logo-2003.png

There’s no more multiplayer, increasingly sever shutdowns from that era of games but that doesn’t take anything away from the campaign.

tim-bergholz-paladin-side.jpg

The hub or “Paladin“ (C-17 Globemaster III plane) feels very relevant, this is how you access the doors to missions, make adjustments and access multiplayer.

I finished the campaign this evening, to the end it’s stealth action, kind of fun and symbolic of terrorist hunting from rainbow six Vegas. I’m willing to say I liked blacklist more than MGS5, its story isn’t perfect but we live in a world where every Kojima, BioWare etc. game is overwhelming with punch lines and complex stories. Splinter cell grabs you and tells you it’s ok, willing to be corny.

The other thing I liked about blacklist is the level variety. I never felt like I escaped the desert in MGS5. Splinter cell blacklist is proud of its linear gameplay, and mediocre side characters.

sc-blacklist_grim-and-charlie.jpg

What did GAF think of splinter cell and blacklist in particular?

I have this on pc and love it.

Personally, I think it still feels great and the missions are unique with each one being like a puzzle.

I also think Conviction was excellent when I first played it way back on 360.

Double Agent I wasn't such a fan of and the older games, like Pandora Tomorrow, I've only really played small parts of.

In short, the Tom Clancy name is attached to some quality games, most notably Splinter Cell, but also Ghost Recon and The Division.

Regarding your comment about MGS5, OP, I feel they are such different experiences and, stealth elements aside, feel like such totally different genres, that it's a bit like comparing Mario Kart to Gran Turismo.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

The gameplay escalation, like MGS V, is amazing in this game, replaying to perfection, how games should be.

SC 1, Chaos Theory and Blacklist are the standouts. The challenges in Blacklist are superb, like Batman Arkham predator challenges you could get lost for 100s of hours replaying them.

Roni

Gold Member
I have a hard time playing this game on a keyboard and mouse nowadays, need to use a controller. It's a good entry, specially after Conviction shit all over the franchise. Said it before, will keep saying it: sad that the franchise ended on a good fucking entry of all things.

Last edited:

phant0m

Game is quite good, played it on PC back when it came out.

Certainly better than Conviction & Double Agent. They fucked up not bringing back Ironside though.

intbal

Conviction is great.
It's just not an ideal Splinter Cell game.

Blacklist is also great, but will always come in behind Conviction (for me) because it has a fake Sam Fisher.

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
Still holds up well today, but that says as much about the lack of progression in the gaming industry as it does to Blacklist's accomplishments.

bender

What time is it?
Conviction is great.
It's just not an ideal Splinter Cell game.

Blacklist is also great, but will always come in behind Conviction (for me) because it has a fake Sam Fisher.

I always have an issue divorcing Conviction from Splinter Cell as it seems too action focused. Then again, I didn't really love the series until Chaos Theory and largely because of the addition of the knife which, in my mind, was a great design decision as it let you overcome stealth fuckups and I know some Splinter Cell purists didn't like addition and preferred the first two games.

Leonidas

My condolences that you experienced this on PS3, OP. Glad you enjoyed it though. Might have to run through this on PC... I enjoyed the original Trilogy, but never beat the ones after that.

Denton

Blacklist and Chaos Theory are best of the franchise. Both have awesome PC versions, too. Although some remastering would be nice (CT should get native controller support, dammit).

RickSanchez

Gold Member
You may have just pushed me to play this one again. It's a great game, apart from the change in Sam's voice actor which feels jarring (and not a fault of Ubisoft. Michael Ironside was ill at the time). It has good modernized stealth mechanics, level & mission variety and gadget variety as well, to give you the full covert operative experience.

GametimeUK

From a total gameplay perspective I love this game. Being able to blend action and stealth together had me feeling like a god. Of course playing ghost is the most rewarding and fuck as hell too. I really enjoyed the gadgets etc and stealthing at my own pace.

Chaos Theory will forever be my favourite because of many reasons everyone brings up every time this discussion pops up, but I absolutely adore Blacklist too.

Multiplayer kicked ass too in this game.

Top Bottom