• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scrolls Launch Trailer

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXNBI-ntBug

From Minecraft developer Mojang, Scrolls will launch on June 3rd for PC.

Scrolls is the latest game from Mojang - creators of Minecraft.

You use the power of creatures, spells, and ancient machines to gain the edge in battle, deploying your forces by using scrolls: some rare, some common, some brutal, some tactical.

Over time you'll develop a unique army and the skills to manipulate it. Eventually, you'll face off against other players, proving your might on the battlefield.

Aguirre

hmmm releasing on the back of minecrafts success... double edged sword... you build hype among the minecraft fans, but on the other hand, they could be in for a huge disappointment.

heck i thought straight away this was a minecraft game but for elder scrolls xD

Just watched the trailer and all I could think was:

It would be really awesome to have Triple Triad as a digital game, and a Pokemon card game for eShop.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I already knew it wasn't really my type of game, but the animation and look is nice.

I am almost face palming at how lame trolling is for this game and how many people are falling for it.

Krilekk

Banned
I still can't believe they put that many ressources into a Magic the Gathering clone. Well, time for a reality check for Mojang come June 3rd, I guess.

icy_eagle

hmmm releasing on the back of minecrafts success... double edged sword... you build hype among the minecraft fans, but on the other hand, they could be in for a huge disappointment.

heck i thought straight away this was a minecraft game but for elder scrolls xD

What's that even supposed to mean? Any kind of game they'd release would be "releasing on the back of minecrafts success". Should they just make mcraft-like games or not make new games ever?

jett

D-Member
Generic fantasy card game, bleh. Minecraft looking pretty flukey right now. Then again I never really cared much for Minecraft, I like my games to have some actual game design in them.

I thought it was a space station shooter that looked like Doom?

That's another game.

Minecraft was a total fluke.
This doesn't look bad, there's just no way it could live up to the success of his first game.

edit: not saying it needs to, or that this is a bad thing

Man

Looks like a really solid iOS release.

Puzzle Quest was amazing so this might have similar potential.

Aaron

There's nothing new or interesting with the mechanics on display, and the art is kind of dull. I'd rather just play Clash of Heroes or straight MTG.

Zia

Does it it need to?

Nope. Mojang is currently in Valve mode where Minecraft is still making them piles of profit while funding everything else they do. Scrolls had a relatively tight development cycle, too. Whether it's ultimately successful or good, I personally think they'll be in the green on Scrolls by the end of the day, June 3 -- there's an army of Minecraft zealots that would PayPal Notch money if he simply asked for it, and those people are going to buy this game no matter what.

wrowa

Minecraft was a total fluke.
This doesn't look bad, there's just no way it could live up to the success of his first game.

It's not supposed to. The great thing about Mojang is that they've got enough money to make anything they want. If it's a nice little TCG-strategy game, then so it is.

But if it makes you feel any better, I don't think Notch is even strongly involved with the development of Scrolls.

rbanke

Does it it need to?

No. Notch has said many times that the success of Minecraft allows them to not worry about making super successful games, just games that they want to make and hope they do well. Sounds like the perfect position to be in as a game developer.

snarge

In a world* where people constantly beg developers for ports and sequels, I'm glad Mojang and Notch are doing what they want to do. I'd hate it if their follow up was remotely similar to MineCraft.

*-Should be read in theater trailer announcer guy voice

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Artwork

1369670403-scrolls.jpg

1369670396-energy.jpg

1369670389-growth.jpg

1369670389-order.jpg

Top Bottom