• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scrolls Launch Trailer

Hoo-doo

Banned
Get that shit on iPad. It would be perfect for it.

Not really interested in playing these kind of card battle games on my PC.

Ardvent

I played a little bit today. I'm really enjoying it and can't wait to give it the time it deserves tonight.

The mechanics are interesting, you have to sacrifice cards in your hand to convert them into energy, and then spend the energy on summons / spells. There are plenty of advanced card mechanics much like MTG (Destroy, Protect, Buffs, Enchantments, etc.)

You choose from 1 of 3 "Precon" starter decks, the other two can be purchased with in game gold or real money ($5 each).

Gold is easy to earn, doing the bot challenge maps I almost have enough for my second starter deck (5k gold).

Real money can only be spent on the starter decks or cosmetic avatars (all $5 each).

You can rent cards for up to 1 week for stupid cheap for use in your decks (100g, about 1 game).

The only way to add more scrolls to your library is to use in game gold, (or getting another precon deck). It seems pretty fair and the game runs fantastically (it's built in Unity).

Mikey Jr.

Hate card games, ie Magic. Yeah, so this trailer did absolutely nothing for me.

Going to keep waiting for that other game 0X1CCFU or whatever that fucking thing was called.

LtOrange

I played a little bit today. I'm really enjoying it and can't wait to give it the time it deserves tonight.

The mechanics are interesting, you have to sacrifice cards in your hand to convert them into energy, and then spend the energy on summons / spells. There are plenty of advanced card mechanics much like MTG (Destroy, Protect, Buffs, Enchantments, etc.)

You choose from 1 of 3 "Precon" starter decks, the other two can be purchased with in game gold or real money ($5 each).

Gold is easy to earn, doing the bot challenge maps I almost have enough for my second starter deck (5k gold).

Real money can only be spent on the starter decks or cosmetic avatars (all $5 each).

You can rent cards for up to 1 week for stupid cheap for use in your decks (100g, about 1 game).

The only way to add more scrolls to your library is to use in game gold, (or getting another precon deck). It seems pretty fair and the game runs fantastically (it's built in Unity).

Sounds fantastic I will download it after work today. So from what you have played you are not getting any pay to win vibes?

Ardvent

Sounds fantastic I will download it after work today. So from what you have played you are not getting any pay to win vibes?

Absolutely none, you pool gold pretty quickly and the only real money options hardly effect game play.

You're able to easily expand your library by spending 100g on a single, random scroll.
175g on a scroll of a specific type (Growth, Order, Energy)
or 1000g on 10 random scrolls.

A generic fantasy strategy card game seems a little...underwhelming after something like Minecraft.

It's not like Mojang developed minecraft with the goal of making it huge... it was just a simple game that against the odds when on to become the "next big thing".

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
How deep is this game compared to other TCG? Is there as much to it as say, Magic or yugioh?

Art feels a bit uninspired but I would love to play a good online TCG

Ardvent

How deep is this game compared to other TCG? Is there as much to it as say, Magic or yugioh?

Art feels a bit uninspired but I would love to play a good online TCG

It feels on-par with MTG, I never played Yugioh but I got really deep into competitive MTG and this is scratching that itch. I also haven't played any ranked games yet, which seems to be the focus of Scrolls.

Billen

Banned
Personally I find it very refreshing that they aren't just doing "Minecraft 2", which is what many other companies would have done.

I'm a big board game fan, and this kind of reminds me of a Summoner Wars or something along those lines, but I'm also not really a "PC Gamer", so unfortunately that makes this game immediately drop off my radar.

Ri'Orius

You're able to easily expand your library by spending 100g on a single, random scroll.
175g on a scroll of a specific type (Growth, Order, Energy)
or 1000g on 10 random scrolls.

I'm confused: your earlier post said you could rent cards for a week for 100g. Are these the prices for renting, or for buying?

LTWheels

It's definitly not pay to win, considering that you can't use real money to purchase the random pack of cards.

Real money is used for customising your avatar, buy the other two starter packs, and time limited cards which don't to be game breaking. Also can use in game money for all these.

You seem to gain in game money quite quickly.

KuroNeeko

I picked this game up. It's nice, a little rough around the edges but has charm.

It'll be interesting to see if Mojang will have the necessary skill to keep the game balanced.

For those of you interested, here's a guy streaming the game for the first 24 hours.

http://www.twitch.tv/the_owlstream

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
It feels on-par with MTG, I never played Yugioh but I got really deep into competitive MTG and this is scratching that itch. I also haven't played any ranked games yet, which seems to be the focus of Scrolls.

Cool, thanks for the info

Artadius

It seems like it could be pretty good. Not sure how much I enjoy the whole units have a cooldown on how often they can attack instead of being able to attack each turn ala MtG. I suppose that's just something I'll have to get used to. Just seems like its an unnecessary way to slow the game down.

Grinchy

Banned
The only card game I've ever played was Eye of Judgement, and I didn't really even get very into that. I'm not sure if I like card games.

KuroNeeko

It seems like it could be pretty good. Not sure how much I enjoy the whole units have a cooldown on how often they can attack instead of being able to attack each turn ala MtG. I suppose that's just something I'll have to get used to. Just seems like its an unnecessary way to slow the game down.

That particular mechanic is actually pretty fun. You can move most non-structure units one space a turn, so you can weave in and out of a lane to harass structures or pressure an opponent's units to move. You can sacrifice mobility with structures which are kind of like walls in MTG. They tend to have decent abilities and higher life which is good for protecting your weaker units. It kind of reminds me of a mix between chess and Clash of Heroes.

The only thing I don't know how to deal with yet, is it seems to suffer from the zerg approach. Once you have established dominance in a given column, it's really hard to turn things around.

The only card game I've ever played was Eye of Judgement, and I didn't really even get very into that. I'm not sure if I like card games.

The card game element is limited to just the method of distribution, well, I guess you're technically drawing the units out of the deck. You draw a card each turn and then decide if you want to sacrifice a card in your hand to increase your resource pool by 1, sac to draw 2 cards, or play as many cards as your resources allow.

I haven't really seen any common card game playstyles like hand control or whatnot. Growth focuses on smaller, aggressive creatures. Order focuses on units that compliment each other and placement. Energy focuses on defense, board control through spells, and ranged units.

KuroNeeko

any suggestion on which scrolls i should buy?
random/decks/set cards?

This is just my opinion, but I'm planning on saving up to buy packs of 10 since you're guaranteed two uncommon and one rare. If you've got the luck though, you can draw one at a time.

Ardvent

I'm confused: your earlier post said you could rent cards for a week for 100g. Are these the prices for renting, or for buying?

To purchase a random card it costs 100g, they have a 'renting' type system where you can gain access to a specific card for 100g for 7 days.

Ardvent

All three precon decks have minus-cooldown buffs for summoned units. I usually get all of my units down to 1 cooldown. It also gives the enemy another object to kill instead of your totems, focusing down buffing characters adds a lot to the tactics.

I did the tutorial and one quick match. When I try to play a second quick match, I choose the difficulty, choose my deck, and it just takes me back to the arena menu instead of starting the match. WTF?

Morokh

Played a little bit, seems way more interesting that what you would think at first glance.

and...... 7th post nails it.

Exactly what I was thinking. This is what he follows minecraft up with?

Do you remember those recent articles listing them in the top 10 developers? Yeah...

It's a game from Mojang, Notch himself seems to have very little to no involvement at all with it, so keep that shit out of here, thanks !

eorl

Banned
Looks interesting, but the big question is will it compete for attention with MTG? Or will it just a be a fling with players dropping off after they realise it doesn't have the "Minecraft" hype?

I can understand why people are wanting "Minecraft 2.0", but it is a hard game to follow up on and I have my doubts that Scrolls will follow up in that hype/love (it will most likely sell well anyway thanks to the Mojang/Minecraft name). Guess we shall just see how things pan out, but Scrolls does look interesting to say the least.

Yeah, my game's completely unplayable now. Can't start an offline or online quick match, can't start a ranked match, and can't even replay the tutorial.

DrNeroCF

I know following up Minecraft can't be an easy thing to do, but...

This is all they could muster?

They have a ton of money, an established fan base, and a potential outlet to reach millions of players through Minecraft, and they go with a Facebook-y card game?

If they're not going to go all out and attempt to make something else as, in the very least, ambitious, as Minecraft, then why bother? Did they spend all their money on that fancy new office?

Just doesn't make any damn sense.

Gurrry

Was interested in this game after getting sick of waiting for Hex to finish its kick starter....

Saw 20 dollar price tag...

No thanks.

Grinchy

Banned
I know following up Minecraft can't be an easy thing to do, but...

This is all they could muster?

They have a ton of money, an established fan base, and a potential outlet to reach millions of players through Minecraft, and they go with a Facebook-y card game?

If they're not going to go all out and attempt to make something else as, in the very least, ambitious, as Minecraft, then why bother? Did they spend all their money on that fancy new office?

Just doesn't make any damn sense.

How does it not make sense? This was never claimed to be the successor to Minecraft in any way. The company can't release a single game outside of Minecraft unless it is as huge as Minecraft? Why even do that, when Minecraft itself is still selling a crazy amount? That's what doesn't make any sense.

For all we know they've been working on Minecraft 2 for years and it's coming out on PS4/One/PC. For all we know they have some other insanely creative new type of game being made. But no one thought that Scrolls, the 2D card game, was supposed to be it (except for you and a few people in this thread, apparently).

Top Bottom