• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CVG: In-depth hands on with X1 controller [detailed]

We've seen some details of how the new controller is much improved over its predecessor, but I was really impressed after reading some of the specific details mentioned by CVG here.

*sexy pic just for kicks*

image_302725_fit_940.jpg

During the press conference we admit this sounded like complete marketing guff, especially when combined with the phrase "dynamic impulse triggers". But in truth when we tried this particular feature for ourselves we found it to be one of the most exciting aspects of Xbox One from a gamer's point of view.

Essentially, Microsoft has increased the number of force feedback motors in the Xbox One controller, allowing for more subtle rumble in localised parts of the pad. In one FPS-style demo we played, a virtual hand held out a pistol. Firing the pistol with the controller's right trigger resulted in simulated recoil occurring on just that part of the controller.

In another demo, which had the same virtual hand magically spawn a fire ball, we could 'feel' the explosive projectile explode from the centre of the controller and out towards your fingers. It was an impressive effect.

Other demos better showed off the feature's application as a gameplay enhancement. One allowed us to start the engine of a supercar with the Y button, causing the Xbox One controller to cough and splutter realistically as the virtual engine sparked to life

In another section showing a close up of the vehicle's wheels, the controller pulsed to simulated bumps in the road surface, and then violently clanged as the anti-lock breaks kicked in.

Finally, a simple demo featuring a human figure caused the controller to simulate a heartbeat, directly on the corresponding spot of the pad on the top right hand corner. It's been suggested the subtlety of Xbox One's force feedback could be used to find secrets of even indicate the direction of enemy fire in next-gen games.

Every journalist we spoke to at Microsoft's Redmond event agreed; the Xbox One controller feels like a big improvement over its 360 predecessor.

In comfort, the pad's handles feel more angular and better defined, screw holes and seam lines have been removed and the 360's bulky battery pack has been rotated 90 degrees and absorbed inside the controller. The latter means the Xbox One pad feels lighter, with weight better distributed across the peripheral.

From a functionality perspective, fans will be pleased to hear that the much-criticised d-pad of the current console has been redesigned and now feels tighter and more accurate with buttons presses rewarded with a satisfying click
. The analogue sticks too have had their dead zones minimised significantly, says Microsoft.
CVG

RoKKeR

But I don't use rumble on my 360 controller.

:/

Hope there is an option to turn the impulse triggers off.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Sounds like some great improvements. Does it still use batteries?

Both Sony and Microsoft seem to have made pretty good strides on their future controllers. Can't wait to try them out. The only thing I don't like on the One controller is the guide button being pushed up. Or is that even a button? Or is it just a logo. It just makes the start and select buttons look tiny.

iNvid02

never been a fan of rumble but i like the sound of this. just hope we can use it on pc, and if so devs implement the same effects for the pc

bioware: we finally got controller support for mass effect 4! but we didnt have time to implement the force feedback features, sorry about that....

It sounds like everyone liked it. Look forward to using it. I loved 360 controller.

reading this then looking at your avatar was quite funny

Josman

I'm still not convinced with the new d-pad, but then again I've never used it. I get a mixed vibe, it looks very comfortable but I just don't like how it looks.

Here is my positive response to Xbone: the description of that "next gen" rumble sounds pretty cool.

Too bad that isn't enough to overcome the negative of the console.

Squire

Banned
Yeah, that all sounds really excellent. Hoping the DS4 is equally capable. Apparently it also has more motors in it.

LQX

Best news out of the conference for me was that controller. Love that they refined it more than changed it. I hope it does not take long to come to the PC as the controller as kind of replaced my M/K as my default input for even most FPS.

But I don't use rumble on my 360 controller.

:/

Hope there is an option to turn the impulse triggers off.

and that's all this really is. everyone I know turns off vibration when they play a game that uses vibration. it's fucking annoying and distracting especially for FPS.

jett

D-Member
The rumble is the most interesting thing I noticed in the entire conference. Definitely something I wish the DS4 had.

Sounds amazing! Outside of the d-pad, I didn't think they could drastically improve the already great controller. Sounds like they did. Reading the part about the rumble starting the center and working outwards on the controller when magic was used sounds like it could be great!

Has anyone actually detailed the "40 new changes" in the controller? I'd love to see a list of what actually was changed/updated/added.

Otherwise, I love the look of the controllers. The new rumble features sound good too but as I will be playing mostly on PC, I doubt many games would support them, if it ever comes to PC.

Has anyone actually detailed the "40 new changes" in the controller? I'd love to see a list of what actually was changed/updated/added.

Otherwise, I love the look of the controllers. The new rumble features sound good too but as I will be playing mostly on PC, I doubt many games would support them, if it ever comes to PC.

Ports of Xbox One games will support it, which means a lot of games.

morpix

I wonder if it'll work with the PC like the 360 controller.

Doubt it, all accessories are incompatible with the Xbox One. So I assume they use a different protocol or some updated version. Hopefully they release a new wireless receiver + controller combo for PC (as they did with the 360 controller).

icy_eagle

Clicking dpad doesnt sound so hot?

As for the rumble, Its something I typically dont care for, but it seem ms has made something interesting out of it

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
both the DS4 & XB1 controller sound really great. hoping they come with nice PC & Mac drivers!

any word if either are bluetooth compatible? fuck wires

CLEEK

'Clicking' microswitched d-pad? That would be glorious.

The pad is the only thing about the 'bone that's got me excited.

and that's all this really is. everyone I know turns off vibration when they play a game that uses vibration. it's fucking annoying and distracting especially for FPS.

This is the first time I'm hearing someone against rumble. Not that I've heard people extremely for it, but I didn't realize some actually turn it off. I like it, only time I get annoyed by rumble is during a long turret sequence...but then again I'm also annoyed by long turret sequences.

In one FPS-style demo we played, a virtual hand held out a pistol. Firing the pistol with the controller's right trigger resulted in simulated recoil occurring on just that part of the controller.
When you fire a gun in real life, the trigger doesn't vibrate. The whole gun recoils in your hand. So this seems a bit silly but hey why not I guess, it's different.

In another demo, which had the same virtual hand magically spawn a fire ball, we could 'feel' the explosive projectile explode from the centre of the controller and out towards your fingers. It was an impressive effect.

In another section showing a close up of the vehicle's wheels, the controller pulsed to simulated bumps in the road surface, and then violently clanged as the anti-lock breaks kicked in.
This sounds cool though.

Eusis

Will buy for my PC for sure. Looks like the greatest controller OF ALL TIME.
I wouldn't go THAT far (but then I doubt there's a single greatest for all games anyway), but definitely getting it on PC. Either they'll get it ported properly or someone's going to do something like MotionInJoy and get it working with Xinput anyway.

Tenumi

Banned
Those rumble improvements sounds like they made an already great controller greater. I'm still not sold on the Xbox button placement, but it sounds like at least the controller will be a worthy successor.

Top Bottom