• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

War Thunder Dev: PS4 to PC Cross Platform Play

artist

Banned
War Thunder - the free-to-play action MMO about World War II aerial combat - was announced to be coming to the PS4 recently. Interestingly it's also one of the few third-party console exclusives, and won't be coming to Xbox One.

Gaijin Entertainment, the developer of War Thunder, has now praised Sony for its attitude towards game developers and in looking for new games and concepts for the PS4.

"Microsoft is a good partner of ours for a long time," started Gaijin's CEO Anton Yudintsev in an interview with PSLS, but added that "Sony is more open and more actively looking for new game concepts, new business models and new titles than Microsoft."

Yudintsev claimed that Sony was a better choice for War Thunder since the "PS4 is the most open platform, open to allow us to find a way that War Thunder players can get their game on cross-platform which is really cool and something the industry has lacked for years.

"Sony’s guys really want to help us to make great game for our players and that means a lot when you are making a game for any console."

Talking most specifically about developing for the PS4, Yudintsev said "we have discovered truly amazing features that perfectly fit our War Thunder MMO project," adding that despite the game's origins as a PC game it works just as well on the PS4.

"Because of the PS4′s features," said Yudintsev, "we are going to be able to develop a lot of really cool features that are not currently presented in our PC version which is in open beta. These features will be ready for PS4 players right from the start."

Interestingly Yudintsev also discussed how powerful the console is, even more so than current PCs, he claimed.

Greater visuals will be the key improvement for the PS4, and according to Yudintsev this will be the case for some time. "I don’t think that average PC will be as powerful in the near future," he said.

Meanwhile, "head tracking, native social features (like streaming) and some other fancy stuff mark the difference between the PS4 and PC versions."

It sounds like the PS4 version of War Thunder could be the one to go for, then.
Source: http://www.nowgamer.com/news/1943703/ps4_sony_is_more_open_looking_for_new_game_concepts.html

nib95

Banned
I seriously hope Sony stick to their guns on the DRM stuff, because so far it's been nothing but good news for the PS4.

Gadirok

Before anyone fires the shots, he probably meant in comparison to the nextbox.

Obviously PC would be more open.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
168.jpg

This is Kitty Hawk, Cerny has given us the go ahead to land at the PS4 airstrip. *tzztsht* Over and out.

VanWinkle

Some interesting stuff in there. I wish he hadn't compared the power to PCs though. You know there's going to be a lot of people hating on him just because of that.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I feel like I hear small and indie devs say such conflicting things about which console platform is most accessible / accomodating. I never know what to think, though I admittedly don't pay super close attention.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Great news to hear. Game development getting easier is one of the best things to hear about next gen going forward, and I'm glad that Sony is going the extra effort to accommodate everyone. Sounds like they're very hands-on with indies too (in terms of giving developers help if they need it, not creative control).

syko de4d

Some interesting stuff in there. I wish he hadn't compared the power to PCs though. You know there's going to be a lot of people hating on him just because of that.

I am a PC Gamer and dont hate him, he compare the PS4 with a average PC and he is right, it will take alot of time till the average PC has PS4 powerlevel.

Valnen

Steam is the only PC store? People can sell their game however they damn want on the PC.

It's the only one most people seem to care about. Just look at all the "Steam or no sale" posts you see all the time everywhere. Steam pretty much rules the platform.

JoV

War Thunder is a very pretty game with all the settings maxed out, but it is very poorly optimized, and a number of cards really struggle with it.

Including mine, sadly.

Gadirok

It's the only one most people seem to care about. Just look at all the "Steam or no sale" posts you see all the time everywhere.

Or the boycotts with GFWL, but that may be because of DRM paranoia.

I personally don't use steam as much as some of my friends do but its arguably become the defacto platform for PC sales and arguably a great method of remaining in communication with my friends.

Often I get a message on PSN telling me to get my arse on steam.

Eusis

I seriously hope Sony stick to their guns on the DRM stuff, because so far it's been nothing but good news for the PS4.
Hell, if they can compromise and just keep it to the level of Steam more or less I'll be open to getting it eventually, I want used games but mainly for future preservation of games, and I have a better feeling about Sony sticking with this (though it's FAR from a guarantee especially as none of us know where technology will go) than Microsoft giving a damn about even leaving online support for a game there for a long period, nevermind the far future and retaining BC.

At worst I figure a lot of these games weren't even going to hit retail anyway, though there's still the question of if they'd hit PC eventually.

It's the only one most people seem to care about. Just look at all the "Steam or no sale" posts you see all the time everywhere. Steam pretty much rules the platform.
for the most part but blizzard is huge and none of those games go on steam. league of legends have their own thing,etc

Wiktor

Head tracking? Let's hope the PSEye is bundled.

He means PC version has head tracking, not PS4 one. He bassicaly says "PS4 will have prettier graphics, but PC version makes up for it with head tracking and social features"

THis is free-2-play game. While Steam has those, it's ultimately close to meanginless in this category. Any good F2P title doesn't need Steam at all to succeed

Everything so far sounds so good regarding Sony's new attitude and more open platform. But I always feel like they'll fuck it all up somehow. Like everytime you play a PS4 game a puppy dies. Or I guess really shitty DRM, but that's a topic for another thread.

Eusis

for the most part but blizzard is huge and none of those games go on steam. league of legends have their own thing,etc
I think you have to be reliable exceptions, D2D shows what happens when you're not. In this regard GOG and Amazon are good alternatives along with anything handled through Humble Indie. Some are blind Valve fanboys perhaps, but I think most people just want a reliable source to go to, and even the likes of EA, while being large companies with solid footholds, are not necessarily going to keep their stores up as long as they should.

FlyFaster

players can get their game on cross-platform which is really cool and something the industry has lacked for years.

This is a MEGATON imo.

Cross-platform play? As in PS4 and PC players, playing together? Fucking Awesome.

Sony just "gets" it.

Everything so far sounds so good regarding Sony's new attitude and more open platform. But I always feel like they'll fuck it all up somehow. Like everytime you play a PS4 game a puppy dies. Or I guess really shitty DRM, but that's a topic for another thread.
yea anything can happen,some drm could pop out after e3.we'll see.

Well, Yosp said they'd leave it up to the publisher but wouldn't force it themselves. That's the gun I'd like them to keep equipped.

I wish I was as naive as you.
This just means there will be a system in place to act as drm and that every big publisher will use it.

Dust 514 has mouse and keyboard controls so it's not unrealistic.
No it doesn't, it has keyboard support and analog stick emulation.
Your mouse is just a glorified analog stick in that game.

Since the PS4 is an open platform according to these chaps, I wonder if we'll eventually see another Gabe Newell sighting during Sony's E3 conference (whether it be this year's or another down the line), concerning a certain game that would include Steamworks built in just like Portal 2 on the PS3.

Would be cool, if anything!

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Unless they add KB and mouse support for PS4 version I don't think it's a good idea.

There really isn't much of a difference to be honest, apart from input lag or personal preference. If Sony wants a big plus on the game, they will probably allow cross-platform play.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
PS4 pad players would be getting absolutely slaughtered.

But I just said there isn't much of a difference apart from input lag and personal preference. Argh, whatever, I know I'm not changing someone's mind over KB/gamepad/whatever.

demolitio

They're a big F2P developer and Sony has pleased them in that area so it's not surprising really. They have quite a few F2P games and I doubt War Thunder will be the only one if it's successful on PS4. The War Thunder forums had quite a few Xbox fans that were pissed as if they ignore the business decisions behind companies like this. It's not a huge developer but it has some really successful F2P games, so it's a pretty big score to see them on a console period.

Speaking of which, their first tank screens were released today that makes World of Tanks look really bad in comparison. Not exactly shocking, but the attention to detail is really shown off and the textures help the models shine compared to WoT. Mix that with more realistic gameplay and historical modes for the sim nuts, it will be just as awesome as the aviation side of the game. A lot larger maps, tanks that don't disappear if they're within eyesight, and realistic ballistics has me really excited.

New War Thunder patch 1.31 should be coming REALLY SOON too which fixes overhauls most of the Allied FM's that really need them.

Edit: By the way, I don't think War Thunder would feel bad at all on a controller. Mouse aiming has its advantages right now and joysticks are getting some good tweaks in upcoming patches but even today, the joystick users have an advantage in advanced maneuvers. So while the controller players might not get as precise of aiming, they'll have an easier time pulling off the aerial dogfight moves that at least makes up for it. I would rather use my joystick, but I'll try the PS4 version out too considering it's supposed to look better at launch than the PC version for a bit. I figure the controller is perfectly fine for arcade anyway which is where most console players will be unfortunately. I really need some more people in HB's and FRB's or at least a few wingmen. :p

Top Bottom