• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Fox 64 appreciation thread

cvxfreak

Recently acquired the Japanese version for a mere 600 Yen. Damn, I forgot just how great this game is. The music is memorable, the graphics are still pretty good. The controls are alright. The game is far too short though. =(

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
One of the greatest thrills of my gaming life was getting that oversized box with the Rumble Pak included. I was so hyped for that thing after the StarFox 64 promo video that I got in the mail.

Sanjuro

vatstep said:
One of the greatest thrills of my gaming life was getting that oversized box with the Rumble Pak included. I was so hyped for that thing after the StarFox 64 promo video that I got in the mail.

I still have mine to this day. I was shocked Sony and Sega would team up to molest poor Mario.

"COCKY LITTLE FREAKS"

Sorry, it's cliche but I had to say it. I loved SF64, the branching paths, etc. *Looks disappointingly at copy of Starfox:Assault*

AniHawk

You know what'd fucking rock? A DS version with online co-op, and more difficult gameplay/longer levels or multiple paths during levels so it wont be too easy with wingmen that are actually competent.

And headset voice chat would be a must.

"Dang, deploy it now"
"You'll be seeing your dad soon, Fox"
"Aim for the open shot"
"Andross won't have his way with me"
"All ship report in"
"My beautiful reward"
"Uncle AAAnndrosssssssss"
"Don't shoot, Im a human"
"I'm the great Leon"
"I can't leave Slippy hangin"
"Hey Einstein, I'm on your side"
"Do you know where Sailors hang out?"
"Take care of the guy behind me Fox"
"Where is the Creator? I must be complete"
"Sorry to jet, but I'm in a hurry"

what kind of appreciation thread is this? we need some screenshots

Lo-Volt

"Do you know where sailors hang out?"

Shenmue freak, caught you. :lol

starfox1.JPG

starfox2.JPG

starfox2_big.jpg

Lo-Volt

Goddamnit, where's my Nintendo 64? My favorite 64-bit game, ever. Not Super Mario 64, not even Ocarina. None got the play this title got for at least three years.

Pakkidis

Other than a few levels I found the game a bit disappointing, I don't know why, but I found it too easy. I did't like the branching paths though, it made it a bitch to collect all the medals in the planets. I wish there was an option to just replay certain levels. Overall good game.

Soul4ger

My friend and I spent hours playing this, on the different difficulty levels, getting all the warp points and stuff. Just so much fun, it brings a tear to my eye.

polg

I'd play this game over and over and over. I loved the tank missions specially the one with the train!

CVXFREAK said:
Damn, these quotes. :lol

The Japanese version's in Japanese, so I can't here these brilliant quotes. :(

does it have voice-acting? back when it was released I played it for a while and remember it had, but then I read somewhere that it only had sound effects acting as voice, like in the original star fox

polg said:
I'd play this game over and over and over. I loved the tank missions specially the one with the train!

Yeah, the tank mission with the train (MacBeth, I think) was cool. Also Area 6 was really cool because there were so many enemies

Here's a couple more pictures

scr_starfox1.jpg

starfox64.jpg

GitarooMan said:
Yeah, the tank mission with the train (MacBeth, I think) was cool. Also Area 6 was really cool because there were so many enemies

Here's a couple more pictures

scr_starfox1.jpg

starfox64.jpg

area6 was too awesome, it really felt like goint trough all of Venom's defence, and then fighting star wolf on venom

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
Between this, Panzer and Sin & Punishment you would of thought that 3rd Person Shooters would make a great addition to console gaming but fuck no we get gaffled instead.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
"You can't beat me! I've got a better ship!"

This game has more great one-liners than all other games combined. :lol

Jado

Banned
..pakbeka.. said:
area6 was too awesome, it really felt like goint trough all of Venom's defence, and then fighting star wolf on venom

That mission was awesome. Great Fox joins in and it really did feel like an entire army trying to stop you from getting to Venom.

The cyborg-ish Star Wolf on Venom stage was cool, but I liked the regular path even better. There were huge swarms everywhere. toppling pillars, or pillars jumping out of the ground, a really cool "trench run" with Falco where I remember him saying "Don't go dyin' on me!"

Macbeth and the Forever Train was the name of the stage with the Land Rover. That was a really outstanding stage as well.

Star Fox assault was a very dissapointing game that was linear, and irratating. I really loved SF64 due to the branching game paths, the voices fit the characters and they were very likable, unlike a certain Gamecube game that has the most annoying chracter ever, Krystal.

The music was awesome. I remember so many great tunes from all the levels, I even find myself humming them randomly throughout the years. They fit the levels perfectly. The graphics are obviously dated now but they were good at the time.

The gameplay was filled with fun fighting, awesome levels, and the Landmaster was fun, unlike it was in Starfox Assault. The situations were always exciting and intense and brought more too the game. The multiplayer mode I played heavily with everyone I knew, I have fond memories of my older brother totally destroying me in it though. That game was fucking hard. It took a few tries to beat it and it was also hard to unlock everything. I remember hearing if you got all the medals you could get Fox's father to join the crew or something.

Star Fox assault was a very dissapointing game that was linear, and irratating. I really loved SF64 due to the branching game paths, the voices fit the characters and they were very likable, unlike a certain Gamecube game that has the most annoying character ever, Krystal.

The music was awesome. I remember so many great tunes from all the levels, I even find myself humming them randomly throughout the years. They fit the levels perfectly. The graphics are obviously dated now but they were good at the time.

The gameplay was filled with fun fighting, awesome levels, and the Landmaster was fun, unlike it was in Starfox Assault. The situations were very different. Some levels had different ones, like light the light house, or some character comes along and changes the pace of the mission. The others were just straight ahead shoot and save an ally when they need it. The multiplayer mode I played heavily with everyone I knew, I have fond memories of my older brother totally destroying me in it though. It was also hillarious how everyone would panic when somebody got a bomb. I loved the mode where you and a friend could just go around and blast everything in sight and whoever got the most kills won. I kinda wished they'd let you play co-op though, I bet that would've been a great experience. That game was fucking hard. It took a few tries to beat it once and it was also hard to unlock everything. I remember hearing if you got all the medals you could get Fox's father to join the crew or something.

Oops dupe post, delete the above one.

Jado

Banned
Unresponsive Bee Victim said:
I remember hearing if you got all the medals you could get Fox's father to join the crew or something.

No, you unlocked a Hard difficulty mode and Fox wore shades like his dad.

Anyanka

Fox just had James' sunglasses.

The game had this great cinematic quality to it without actually having very many cutscenes. It wasn't just random missions, it actually felt like an ongoing story. First stopping the invasion and then making your way to Venom. The design was so good you actually got into the story and atmosphere despite the characters being goofy cartoon animals.

The end of The Forever Train is so awesome. I love the explosion when the train crashes into their base.

Doogdogg

This game fucking owns. :lol :D

I played it over and over again years ago. The game was quite easy and I don't ever died unless I play the expert mode.

Indeed Area 6 is the most amazing stage. The spacemines at the begginning cause a chain reaction if you hit the middle mine with a smart bomb. :lol :D The swarms of enemies and countless armada ship to shoot down was pure bliss. You need hyper laser to get the most out of this stage. Though the boss was kinda easy (didn't he cloak?).

Fucking EAD better make a next SF inhouse! Damn Namco I skipped SFA.

GaimeGuy

mr_sockochris said:
Damn, I loved this game, I still go back now and again to complete it. I'm up to 63 times in total :)
That's it? :lol

GaimeGuy

Anyanka said:
Fox just had James' sunglasses.

The game had this great cinematic quality to it without actually having very many cutscenes. It wasn't just random missions, it actually felt like an ongoing story. First stopping the invasion and then making your way to Venom. The design was so good you actually got into the story and atmosphere despite the characters being goofy cartoon animals.

The end of The Forever Train is so awesome. I love the explosion when the train crashes into their base.
Best use of rumble EVER. :D

mutsu

Fighting the Star Wolf gang, and trying to get Gold on that stage... that is still the best dog fight I have ever experienced... Most memorable indeed.

Anyanka

The fight with Star Wolf in Venom II was the only Gold I never got, mostly because a wingmen was always dead or near death after the level before.

Apparently I'm good.....but Wolf is better.

Doogdogg

Anyanka said:
The fight with Star Wolf in Venom II was the only Gold I never got, mostly because a wingmen was always dead or near death after the level before.

Apparently I'm good.....but Wolf is better.

barrell roll
barrell roll
barrell roll
leading your lasers toward them.

those fucker are fast to dodge the bullets.

Make you you survived Area 6 with hyper laser or it'll could take to long to bring them down. Also you must do it within time limit. They are 50 points for a kill each. If you take too long they lowered the points on the kill and no medals.

I found Sector Z and Titania the hardest to win the medals.

Lo-Volt

Aquas was a difficult one, but the stage design wasn't the only reason. The frame rate, in retrospect, was terrible on that one.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
"What the heck?!"
"It's beautiful, Fox!"

Yeah it's funny because I was telling my girlfriend tonight how kickass SF64 is. I just wish my sister would return my N64. :(

Lo-Volt said:
Aquas was a difficult one, but the stage design wasn't the only reason. The frame rate, in retrospect, was terrible on that one.
Yeah it was pretty bad, but you got to admit, the music on that stage fit it VERY well.

Doogdogg

Jive Turkey said:
"What the heck?!"
"It's beautiful, Fox!"

Yeah it's funny because I was telling my girlfriend tonight how kickass SF64 is. I just wish my sister would return my N64. :(

"Keep shooting we got lots of missiles" :lol

I would kill for a SFDS done by the SF64 team. That was my second favorite multiplayer title for N64 behind Goldeneye. Not only that, but it had one of the most amazing single player experiences for the system.

Guzim

My friends and I play this game all the time, and whenever we're at parties we constantly quote the game. :lol

"Don't party just yet!"

lol the title screen pic reminds me of how you could move the Starfox 64 logo and the crew would move their heads and look wherever it would go on the screen. Always gave me a chuckle.

Top Bottom