• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Fox 64 appreciation thread

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Guzim said:
My friends and I play this game all the time, and whenever we're at parties we constantly quote the game. :lol
Haha and here I was thinking it was just me and my friends who did that!

Now time for some SNES StarFox quotes!

Falco: "Wub wub wub wuhub!"
Peppy: Buh buh, buh buh buh BUH!"

number386

I remember preordering and waiting for SF64. The wait was excrutiating because I loved star fox, and it was also bundles with the then new rumble pack, I thought the rumble feature was gonna be aces.

TheDiave

Banned
I remember being floored when I started the first stage and flew low to skim the water with my Arwing's wings. That was fuckin' awesome!

I guess I'm the only person that enjoyed the first game more and was dissapointed by the sequel.

For me, it mostly has to do with the music; the compositions were so good in the first one. I don't like the new SF theme which Nintendo has chosen to stuck with.

I also didn't like tank and sub vehicles, which I felt diluted the SF formula (though that pales in comparison with how the series has turned out).

Plus I prefered the squeek for talking from the first game, but the controls were pretty damn spot on and its still a good game.

FortNinety said:
Plus I prefered the squeek for talking from the first game, but the controls were pretty damn spot on and its still a good game.

This might be only in the euro version, but you can change the voices to 'lylat' (squeek) in the options menu

FortNinety said:
I guess I'm the only person that enjoyed the first game more and was dissapointed by the sequel.

I will join you in solidarity, brother! I agree with you on the voices - I really couldn't stand the "real" voices in the sequel. What I liked so much about the first one was the way everything was so tightly designed around the incredible hardware limitations of the Super FX chip. I find it a lot easier to look at and play the original Star Fox nowadays that SF64, which just seems like a blurry, poorly modeled mess. The original Star Fox, like Tron, turned its technical limitations into art.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Totally. Alot of people complained about the dithering (I think that's the term) giving the game a grainy look though. I always thought that the dithering made the game look like film footage taken from an old war, and I loved that.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Game was brilliant. One of the few arcadey type games I actually played more than the original Starfox. SF64 had some of the best stages in that type of game EVER. Man, finally figuring out how to truly complete the Forever Train was one of my greatest moments in gaming. Purposefully losing in (Katina, was it?) and getting the Independence Day-like destruction of the base was just... awesome.

Scoring the Gold Medals on all of the stages, unlocking Expert mode, and getting all the golds again. Whew... Good times.

Top Bottom