• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTTP: Phantasy Star Online Episode 1&2||The Whole New World of Nostlagia

Daingurse

ivI785OgE1PS.png

I have recently been playing Phantasy Star Online Episode 1&2 again, and it has truly been a wonderful experience. My history with Phantasy Star Online at this point is quite rich and deep. I have played the game on Dreamcast, Gamecube, Xbox and PC through Blue Burst and Emulation on Dolphin. I have probably sunk thousands of hours into the game over the course of my life. I love this game and am absolutely adoring my return to the game in my favorite way, split-screen couch coop. I am playing with my younger brother and an old childhood friend, who was an original member of our Gamecube and Xbox PSO crew. We are veterans, we know what we’re doing and we understand the game. It is a beautiful thing to see.

Phantasy Star Online is my favorite dungeon crawler loot-fest, period. Diablo can eat a dick, Borderlands can fuck off, and other candidates can sit the fuck down. Nothing tops PSO for me. It is so hard to tell where nostalgia ends and engaging gameplay begins, they are entwined. I find PSO absolutely perfectly paced for a dungeon crawler, loot upgrades come but not at an annoying frequency. Mag feeding breaks up the combat, a Tamagotchi and stat-stick in one. Enemies are incredibly stupid, but highly aggressive and determined. I can’t wait to reach Very-Hard mode, when enemies start cruising and become more threatening. We stepped into Hard mode just last night and I boldly proclaimed, “Not a damn thing is stopping us till we hit Dark Falz.” Hell we played till 1:30 in the morning and you know what not a damn thing was going to stop us till Falz. If we played more we could have hit the Falz wall easily, he would have destroyed us no question ahaha.

PhantasyStarOnline118DarkFalzForm3.jpg

It’s funny playing with my brother, a loot crazed HUcast named Big Snake. He is very greedy and being an android inherently means he will make more money anyway, which is kinda hilarious. Being a HUcast and having hand-me downs from Michael's other characters makes him incredibly powerful. He's our meat shield, when he isn't running towards items . . .

hucast.jpg

My character is a FOnewm, Sauron. I rely on my techniques and fluids to an absurd degree. However, I am a bare-handed casting force of destruction. A nuker, a damage dealer, but hey I do my share of support with Resta, J/Z and S/D. But as soon as I run dry on fluids, I’ll be the first one to lay down the Ryuker and say, “I need fluids”. Hahaha

fonewn.jpg

Our host Michael is a very gracious host indeed. Anyone familiar with me by now, knows that I enjoy the marijuana, but our pal Michael has graduated to full on weed enthusiast. He’s on a new level, smoking “dabs”, concentrated cannabis oil or wax. Taking a victory dab after destroying a boss is definitely an experience. He alternates between a FOmar, Soloman that he considers “Bitch-Made’, and a RAcast, McDavid who is a twinked out monster.

fomar.jpg
racast.jpg

His knowledge of the game is easily on par with my brother and me. Hell he had PSO-World open on this laptop ready to go, so I knew his ass was serious. We were having a hilarious debate last night on who should be player one, because of the Section ID’s. We settled on a Skly ID Character who had everything unlocked in Episode 1 hard-mode. We saw quite a few Red Boxes, but of course . . .

38405318.jpg

When Michael’s girlfriend joins the fun, she marvels at our esoteric knowledge of the game. She finds the way we play, down-right hilarious, but that’s the marijuana most likely. My experience with this game is simply on another level. I know what techniques to use on which enemies. I know to cast barehanded as male Force for a quicker animation. I know how picky my fucking Mag is. I know which attacks will probably kill me instantly haha. I can’t think of another game that I probably understand as well as PSO.

So to sum things up, I am having more fun with a videogame than I have had in years. PSO is still my favorite cooperative loot-piñata game, and that couch Coop really puts it over the top. Through a combination of raw nostalgia, compelling gameplay mechanics and a little marijuana, I am having the time of my life with this fucking game. I really can't wait to demolish Episode 1 Hard mode next time I'm over there. Bah who am i kidding, Dark Falz's third form is going to bitch-slap me dead :)

Now if you'll excuse me, time to play some PSO on Dolphin. I need to scratch that itch . . .

BLCKATK

Probably is my favorite game on all time. Countless hours online and offline, made a lot of friends in game and even more out of game when people would come over and play split screen. A lot of good memories.

Only an hour ago I was going over the game's OST again, so many memories of awesome from PSO.

My phone bill was rather high back then as the UK dialup charge was about 1p per minute, it stacks up when you are off work due to a full leg plaster cast for a good 3 months!

Daingurse

That just reminded me I've never played Episode 4. Probably need to log back in since PSO2 in English got delayed.

Episode 4 is very interesting. New enemies alone give it a lot of novelty. Saint Million is one of the coolest bosses in the game and is a fight that should be experienced by all PSO lovers.

played a hunewearl. spent half my life trying to get a nei's claw.

can't think of any other online rpg that has come close to replacing pso. altho i'm hopin pso2 does that when it comes out.

Fou-Lu

The OP's feelings for this game bring a tear to my eye. I love this game and I think after work I'm going to get my brother to play some splitscreen with me.

Adored PSO on Dreamcast and Xbox.
I'm not a PC player nor do I have a Vita, so it sucks that the new PSO is not releasing on home consoles.
That I'm not playing it now makes me jealous and pissy.

Would the game not make Sega money if they ported it to home consoles?
I don't understand this choice of PC & handheld release ONLY.

BJK

Did the telepipe trick work in fully offline games of PSO, or just the GC version?

Cannot tell you how many hours I devoted to killing rappies for red boxes.

Ferr986

That just reminded me I've never played Episode 4. Probably need to log back in since PSO2 in English got delayed.

Episode 4 is shorter than the others, but is still very good, especially the last stage and final boss.

My phone bill was rather high back then as the UK dialup charge was about 1p per minute, it stacks up when you are off work due to a full leg plaster cast for a good 3 months!

Oh the memories! My phone bill shot up from about £20 a month to £126 a month playing PSO. And it was that way for over a year. My first and best online experience and favourite game ever.

Daingurse

Did the telepipe trick work in fully offline games of PSO, or just the GC version?

Cannot tell you how many hours I devoted to killing rappies for red boxes.

Telepipe trick worked offline only on GC and Xbox. Ah, nothing like piping for Mil Lilies only to be killed instantly by piercing Megid.

tumblr_lkcjuhZ57d1qb5yooo1_500.gif

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Looked at what's needed to get the GCN games running on Wii. Yeah, easier just to buy a GCN again. Thankfully I kept my BBA.

GamerJM

Banned
Still kind of want to play more of this game. Never had a copy but two of my friends did, played it with them all the time. One sold his copy but the other one still has his.

ThaGuy

I only played this on the cube and offline but I still had a blast. I also remember taking my friends loot on accident lol.

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
This makes me long for my clan from the Dreamcast days, the Ragol Special Forces.

Was also in the Sega Hitmen.

The good 'ol days.

kunonabi

Adored PSO on Dreamcast and Xbox.
I'm not a PC player nor do I have a Vita, so it sucks that the new PSO is not releasing on home consoles.
That I'm not playing it now makes me jealous and pissy.

Would the game not make Sega money if they ported it to home consoles?
I don't understand this choice of PC & handheld release ONLY.

I'm in the same boat. I'm just hoping that the sega/nintendo relationship leads to a wii u version somewhere down the line.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
The game that got me to buy a Dreamcast.

The game that I caused my entire old school to get addicted to mercilessly.

Nonstop late nights into mornings with my best friends grinding splitscreen in the GC version trying to get illusive weapons to appear only to be rewarded with things we didn't even know we could get.

Thousands upon thousands of hours between DC v1, v2, PCv2, GC and BB.
Yet I never found my fucking Panzer Faust >:|

There's never been a game like it for me and nothing since has ever come close. The music, the aesthetic, the intricate little storylines, the sheer glut of unique and rare weaponry & armors... By far the single most compelling lootfiend game i've ever injected directly into my veins. I still have the magazine pages from when EGM did their massive unveiling of the Dreamcast version back in the day.

I tear up a little bit whenever some of the music comes up.

Man, the hours I put into PSO on my DC. I think I've said this in another thread, but I would get up super early before school (Senior year) to get an hour or so in as my HUcast.

The good ole days...

heyf00L

Yeah, I put several hundred hours into this on Cube (Deneb 9 representing).

In this game it took longer to find the best weapons than it did to level up to the high levels. So in effect it was a game of finding loot and then creating characters to use it.

It's only flaw was that Rangers got the shaft. Hunters were clearly Sonic Team's favorite and had all the cool toys. And Forces were just necessary to play. Rangers, eh. The best gun was 50% hit Charge Mechguns, purchasable from the shop, and every class could equip them. :(

played a hunewearl. spent half my life trying to get a nei's claw.

can't think of any other online rpg that has come close to replacing pso. altho i'm hopin pso2 does that when it comes out.

Same boat, and for what I have played of pso2 (about 2 weeks) it's close but still not PSO, but it has a lot of relations.

PSO 1 was that rare beauty we will never see again.

It's only flaw was that Rangers got the shaft. Hunters were clearly Sonic Team's favorite and had all the cool toys. And Forces were just necessary to play. Rangers, eh. The best gun was 50% hit Charge Mechguns, purchasable from the shop, and every class could equip them. :(

I felt that in version 1 rangers were some of the best with the holy god rays , OG spread needle and stuff, then it all got banned and nerfed from hackers abusing it and the weapons being too good overall.

Zelias

Banned
PSO was the defining game of my teenage years. I'd never gotten into any one game quite like this and probably never will again. Such a mind-blowing experience. I think I did it all in this game so much that I can't really go back to it now... but I'll always be nostalgic for this game.

And to think Sega followed this up with the mess that was Phantasy Star Universe...

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
I picked up the GC version a couple of months ago after having sold it a couple years prior. I was an avid player in 2001. The PSO soundtrack is 100% nostalgia for me, probably more than any other game I own. There is just something about it

Daingurse

PSO was the defining game of my teenage years. I'd never gotten into any one game quite like this and probably never will again. Such a mind-blowing experience. I think I did it all in this game so much that I can't really go back to it now... but I'll always be nostalgic for this game.

And to think Sega followed this up with the mess that was Phantasy Star Universe...

This was nearly unforgivable, but considering the road Sonic games went down, unsurprising. Also PSO 2 is fun, not quite PSO but damn close with some unique mechanics. I really want the english version though. I just couldn't couldn't enjoy the game in a foreign language, even with partial fan translation patches.

I just played this game a few months ago with a friend on my GC. We intended to play through the whole thing together but we haven't picked it back up in awhile. I think its time I call him over and pull an all nighter on it again. This game was just incredible, my only regret was not playing it online back then.

Gutter Ballet

Unconfirmed Member
PSO is my most played game of all time. Between Dreamcast, Xbox and PC (BB) versions I put in over 5000 hours.

Blue Burst never being released on PSN/Live is a crime IMO.

This was nearly unforgivable, but considering the road Sonic games went down, unsurprising. Also PSO 2 is fun, not quite PSO but damn close with some unique mechanics. I really want the english version though. I just couldn't couldn't enjoy the game in a foreign language, even with partial fan translation patches.

Considering how PSU/PSP2 was treated and how PSP2i never made it over here, my outlook for PSO2 outside of Japan and SEA is pretty grim.

Here's to hoping SEGA stays on top of localizing content and patches.

Zelias

Banned
This was nearly unforgivable, but considering the road Sonic games went down, unsurprising. Also PSO 2 is fun, not quite PSO but damn close with some unique mechanics. I really want the english version though. I just couldn't couldn't enjoy the game like that, even with partial fan translation patches.
I play PSO2 JP sometimes, and it's definitely a return to form for the series even if I don't feel like it will live up to how PSO1 was in its heyday. I suspect that's the nostalgia talking though. PSO2 is probably a better game mechanically.

Can understand wanting the English version, I helped out with the main fan translation patch (minor stuff, like editing, mostly) and even though I'm proud of what we've done, it's no substitute for a proper English version. With a near-absolute lack of news on the English version though I think it's going to be treated just as badly, if not worse, than the English PSU servers were. And that's saying something. A lot of people are just at the point where we're prepared to overcome the language barrier just to play the 'proper' version of the game.

CheesecakeRecipe said:
RAcast supremacy motherfuckers.
I must respectfully disagree. HUcaseal all of the day, bro.

I played solo on the Gamecube version on my Wii a few weeks ago (yay 480p resolution!). Brought me back to a place in my life that I think very fondly of. Even solo I could still see myself playing through it again. The music and the monsters and locations are so classy. I think this was my first online game I ever played (on DC).

Daingurse

I play PSO2 JP sometimes, and it's definitely a return to form for the series even if I don't feel like it will live up to how PSO1 was in its heyday. I suspect that's the nostalgia talking though. PSO2 is probably a better game mechanically.

Can understand wanting the English version, I helped out with the main fan translation patch (minor stuff, like editing, mostly) and even though I'm proud of what we've done, it's no substitute for a proper English version. With a near-absolute lack of news on the English version though I think it's going to be treated just as badly, if not worse, than the English PSU servers were. And that's saying something. A lot of people are just at the point where we're prepared to overcome the language barrier just to play the 'proper' version of the game.

I must respectfully disagree. HUcaseal all of the day, bro.

Wow, if you helped out with the fan translation I gotta thank you. You helped give my brother and I many hours of enjoyment we probably wouldn't have gotten otherwise. And I respect the HUcaseal, dat accuracy.

Celegus

Such an awesome game. I remember countless hours farming lilies for a Demo Comet, the giant monkeys for a God/Battle, and tons of other stuff. My friend got me hooked on the Dreamcast, then we played on his Xbox, and then I got the Gamecube version and it was over. I may have played more SSBM total, but it's certainly close.

Very interested to see what happens with PSO2. I wish more loot games would use the loot system in PSO where you know exactly what each enemy's rare drops are, so you can specifically work towards a certain goal.

Also; HUcast or bust.

My most played game ever. I have the Plus version, which I pre-ordered originally, too! I think it goes for a fair bit of money these days, not that I would ever sell it. If I was at home I would post a picture of my tattered and torn Versus Books guide for the original game on Dreamcast, which I still use for mag feeding Gamecube game. My save corrupted a couple years ago so I've since started the game over and still pop it in and play for a few hours every month. Playing it now takes me back to when the game came out, and I was young and relatively carefree. Good times.

starmud

more hours played than any other game ever. though, i still feel fonder for ver 2 on DC. ultimate mines with my FOnewearl was my gaming heaven.

i loved dragging loot raiders and bad party members into the dark room with two baranz spawns. stand and watch the carnage... or the fond memories of being dragged to ult falz and told im only good for support, only to have the attackers unable to survive form 3 and having to kill it myself. i've never played another mmo that treated a magic class so well.

i had good times on the GC version as well, but episode 2 dungeons didn't feel as good. it wasn't until the maximum/overkill attack quest that i really began to appreciate them.

Daingurse

I find it ironic that a game known for being a vanguard for online gaming on consoles and even having Online in the fucking title, is a game that I experienced predominantly offline. I got the original PSO when i was around 10, played the game exclusively offline, played the Gamecube and Xbox version nearly exclusively offline. Only when I started playing the game on PC through Schthack did I get that legit Online experience. And I was not disappointed, yelling through my bedroom wall at my brother to cast Shifta, Deband and Resta on my HUcast, ah. And those keyboard commands?

7a62a.gif

Ferr986

The first time I fought Olga Flow may be one of the most epic moments I had in a videogame.

The elevator starting to move down, that mutant weird voice, and suddently that motherfucker appearing downward to the elevator...

AwRy108

Wow, great post OP.

For me, PSO is one of those rare games that my nostalgia feelings are so strong for that they make my head swoon. Started with the original on DC, and as still amazed at how far ahead of the times the game was, especially in terms of its online social features. I even plunked down the cash for a GC broadband adapter and a homemade keyboard adapter (from ebay) to make the most of the experience. The best online gaming memories I have are due to my obsession with PSO on the GC. Anyone else remember the big debacle with cheaters? I loved the natural rift that was created between the "legit" and the cheaters, which only served to foster the sense of community.

I've attempted to turn several of my gaming friends on to the game, but haven't had much luck. I'd love to dive back in on the schtserv servers with Blue Burst, but life is just too busy and my backlog is just too long.

Also, I don't care what anyone says: Phantasy Star Portable 2 is incredible, and totally captures the feel of the original PSO. Such a travesty that it's not available on PSN for the Vita, especially since SEGA has yet to announce a US version of PSO2...

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
The first time I fought Olga Flow may be one of the most epic moments I had in a videogame.

The elevator starting to move down, that mutant weird voice, and suddently that motherfucker appearing downward to the elevator...

Yes, yessss oh my god the first time that elevator kicked into gear and that music tore a hole in our brains was one of the best moments of the series for my pals and I. PSO had a way of constantly surprising us, even with some liberal enemy reskinning.

Top Bottom