• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTTP: Phantasy Star Online Episode 1&2||The Whole New World of Nostlagia

Zelias

Banned
Wow, if you helped out with the fan translation I gotta thank you. You helped give my brother and I many hours of enjoyment we probably wouldn't have gotten otherwise. And I respect the HUcaseal, dat accuracy.
Glad to hear it! I'm not really involved with it these days though, lack of time mostly. And it can't solve every issue with playing on a foreign server :/

On the subject of kickass PSO music, it's hard for me to pick a favourite, but Tower of Caelum from Ep3 is definitely up there.

heyf00L

If you set a telepipe down in a room with enemies that could have rare varients, went to Pioneer 2 and then returned, the room would re-roll to see if you got that rare enemy type each time. My group and I would spend hours doing it.

Without this, I wouldn't have had a huge portion of my equipment. This is how I got a Lavic Cannon, 2 Syncesta, an Iritista, and nearly a dozen God/Powers (usually had 3 on per character).

My greatest PSO moment, though, was finding a Yasha, IMO in the top 3 rarest items in the game. I'd say only Sealed J-Sword and Nei's Claw were rarer.
donna_sy.png

Unfortunately I got the dreaded card corruption when joining a game, and this character (level 195) and equipment was lost.

The other problem PSO had was that Sonic Team eventually gave up on the game. They never put in a real way to get the Red Ring or Parasitic Gene (but at the same time didn't ban their use). Of course that had the benefit of instantly allowing you to identify a cheater.

Daingurse

Also, I don't care what anyone says: Phantasy Star Portable 2 is incredible, and totally captures the feel of the original PSO. Such a travesty that it's not available on PSN for the Vita, especially since SEGA has yet to announce a US version of PSO2...

PSP2 was a great entry. Especially once you got the JP missions unlocked. Then it looked like any complaints I could have had were fixed in PSP2i. Hell, it even had the Olga Flow fight. Shame it was never released in NA/EU.

I was too young to play PSO back in the day but I heard about it so much on Retronauts and the Gameblog.fr podcast that I became fascinated by it.

As a result I played Phantasy Star Zero on the DS and later Phantasy Star Portable 2 (PSP) which I completely fell in love with.

But I still wanted to try the original PSO so about three months ago I bought the Gamecube version. I knew about Blue Burst, but I wanted to experience the game on a console. And even though I can only play offline and none of my friends are interested in playing coop, I still can't believe how much I'm enjoying it ! This really is an amazing game.

Hopefully, PSO2 will be released in Europe soon, so I can finally experience Phantasy Star as it was meant to be played.

fader

omg this game absorbed most of my time even if i didnt even play online... I was adicted to this game, no softballing it. It was pure addiction...

Im kinda sad that PSO2 was a disapoitment to me...

RussellXV

One of the most addicting games of all time. From Dreamcast to GameCube. Loved every second of it. Too bad it never made it to the PS2.

Jill Sandwich

the turds of Optimus Prime
How much did I love PSO? Went to work at 8am, got home at 6pm, instantly turned on the DC and fired PSO up, played until about 4am.
Every. Day. For months.
My friends and family wondered where I'd gone, I started having ectopic heartbeats, it was doing my health in, but I didn't care. PSO was addictive as crack. I only stopped playing when everyone I played with moved on to GameCube, then I took a long hard look at myself and vowed never to go back to Ragol.

Daingurse

One of the most addicting games of all time. From Dreamcast to GameCube. Loved every second of it. Too bad it never made it to the PS2.

Considering the amount of slow-down present in the Xbox and GC version during Split-Screen, it would have been pretty painful on PS2. Xbox version is superior to the GC version, noticeably crisper visuals, with a higher average framerate. But man when you got 4 people, it can really chugga chug chugga haha.

-TK-

Still playing this game on private servers (gamecube) almost every day. Easily the best loot game ever.

Foxix Von

God I miss playing this on the gamecube. Between all the different platforms I think I've racked something near if not over a thousand hours in the game. It's SO good. I actually still have one of those crazy keyboard GC controllers. That thing is awesome.

I keep hoping some online game will come around and scratch the same itch PSO does and it's yet to happen for me. Occasionally I just need to get back and play some of the PC version haha.

MisterHero

I loved playing PSO but I never really got any cool drops except for double swords. Musashi and Yamato were amazing.

I picked it up again a year ago and finally got a Double Saber. It was the most basic one though. .______.

On the other hand I figured out how useful spinners were. Hell yeah fully-grinded Rappy's Wings.

RussellXV

Considering the amount of slow-down present in the Xbox and GC version during Split-Screen, it would have been pretty painful on PS2. Xbox version is superior to the GC version, noticeably crisper visuals, with a higher average framerate. But man when you got 4 people, it can really chugga chug chugga haha.

PSU made it to the PS2, so it probably wouldn't be too bad. The game probably would have lasted longer had it been released on PS2.

Daingurse

PSU made it to the PS2, so it probably wouldn't be too bad. The game probably would have lasted longer had it been released on PS2.

I don't doubt that the game could have run, not at all. But my most memorable moments in PSO are mostly split-screen based. So if the GC and Xbox struggled with 4 players, I don't even want to imagine what the experience would have been like on PS2. But singleplayer online and offline would have posed no issue on PS2.

casmith07

Loved this game so much. If there was still a decent number of folks playing on the Gamecube private servers, I'd jump back in.

Sega is pissing me off delaying the NA release of PSO2. I want PS4/Vita crossplay goddammit.

Daingurse

Loved this game so much. If there was still a decent number of folks playing on the Gamecube private servers, I'd jump back in.

Sega is pissing me off delaying the NA release of PSO2. I want PS4/Vita crossplay goddammit.

My PC and Vita are waiting as-well, goddammit Sega! I know I could fall in love with the game if I could understand what the hell I'm reading. Alt-Tabing between guides and the game is so tedious. Completely destroys my immersion.

casmith07

My PC and Vita are waiting as-well, goddammit Sega! I know I could fall in love with the game if I could understand what the hell I'm reading. Alt-Tabing between guides and the game is so tedious. Completely destroys my immersion.

The gameplay alone and the familiar feel made me hnnnnghhh. I installed an English patch and it was great, but I've heard it got screwed up recently and I haven't tried to log back into the JP version of PSO2.

I'm really hoping they've got some news for us at E3. I would get the game on two platforms on Day Zero.

Gutter Ballet

Unconfirmed Member
This thread and just reading about PSO again has made me miss a couple of the really cool folks I used to play with all the time.

A few of us tried Universe back when it came out but it was so far removed from what PSO was (and what we wanted) that it didn't last very long and, as can happen, we lost touch over the years.

CrovaxPSO

I love PSO so much, imported Ver. 2 for the DC and Ep. I&II before they were released here. I always wanted to get my hands on a copy of the network trial version and that keyboard GC controller.

Does anyone else go full on hypnotic when the title theme comes on and just stare at the screen like a zombie? That opening title music is mesmerizing along with the blue whale crying in the background. Aww, such bliss.

OMG Aero

Man I love this game so much. It was my first ever "real" MMO and still my favourite.
I'm going to be really disappointed if Sega never ends up releasing PSO2 outside of Japan, I've been looking forward to that game ever since it was announced and have been holding off trying the Japanese version so I don't burn out before the English version is out.
Does anyone else go full on hypnotic when the title theme comes on and just stare at the screen like a zombie? That opening title music is mesmerizing along with the blue whale crying in the background. Aww, such bliss.
Hearing that music now, hell even just the first few seconds, just envelops me with nostalgia and takes me back to the days I'd used to play Blue Burst with my friends.

Also RAcast is where it's at guys. Screw your fancy magic or swords, being a big robot with a gun is the way to play.

Cimarron

I always wanted to play blue burst. I was just really intimidated about the amount of time would take for me to get to the new content. How many hours should take me to get from scratch with the huge cast to the new content episode four?

Daingurse

I always wanted to play blue burst. I was just really intimidated about the amount of time would take for me to get to the new content. How many hours should take me to get from scratch with the huge cast to the new content episode four?

Considering how borked the "hours played counter" was on Blue Burst, I actually have no idea haha. Episode 4 is available immediately, but the difficulty curve is different. Think it was harder than Episode 2 I think.

AwRy108

Absolutely. Friggin' slows my heart down...

Gattuso

this is one of my favorite games of all time. i may not have been able to enjoy the online aspect of the game but that didn't stop me from pouring near 1000 hours in just offline and split screen mode.

Daingurse

this is one of my favorite games of all time. i may not have been able to enjoy the online aspect of the game but that didn't stop me from pouring near 1000 hours in just offline and split screen mode.

Haha, this is nearly the exact case for me as well. I predominated played the game offline and it is easily one of my most loved games of all time. About to head out and play some more PSO matter of fact. One of the few titles that I still feel legit child-like enthusiasm for, which is funny because I've played the game to death!

Top Bottom