• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Dragon Quest dead?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So uh... E3 2013... where's DQ10 US release date? Where's DQ11 teasing? What in the world is happening to this series?!? DQ9 was a major success how could Square drop the ball on the next part so badly :'(

Eusis

You sure as fuck weren't going to get DQXI teasing at E3, so let's leave that one right out. Also it's kind of like asking if Mario's dead in regards to Japan, so no no NO. At worst the MMO's written off and they stick with single player or smaller scale multiplayer.

Anyways it could be dead outside of Japan, or Nintendo deemed it not worth bringing up at E3. I really really hope it's the latter, though it helps that DQX appeared on Amazon France IIRC, so combined with Aeana comments it seems SOMETHING is happening. I'm more worried about DQ7r happening here.

AniHawk

dqx might not ever come here. dqvii on the other hand, is a lot likelier.

the dqviii remake is next. probably a ps4 game.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
PMing the Medal Princess!

I'd say there's no way they'd announce a Dragon Quest game at E3 over TGS or an issue of Famitsu....but then again I would have said the same thing last week about Kingdom Hearts 3.

Eusis

E3 is a western focused show and nobody right now would care about a DQ announcement.
Localization news isn't uncommon at E3, though admittedly especially in recent years it seems most of that happens outside of E3. DQX should probably have more lead time, but for all we know 3 months before release Nintendo will go "uhh we're bringing this over here" and that'll be that.
I'd say there's no way they'd announce a Dragon Quest game at E3 over TGS or an issue of Famitsu....but then again I would have said the same thing last week about Kingdom Hearts 3.
That's kind of ridiculous as an example though, Kingdom Hearts is bigger here than DQ ever was, and it's half Disney. It's one of the JRPGs you can expect at E3, much like new FF installments. Expecting new DQs revealed, at least without new console reveals, is like expecting Persona 5 at E3.

GamerJM

Banned
I sure hope not. I don't want to have to import Dragon Quest XI. I'd do it if I'd have to though.

DQX I can live without, but if it releases here I'd probably try to get into it.

linko9

I'm really worried. I was sure DQ 10 would come, and really hoping that DQ7, Terry's Wonderland and DQ Heroes 3 would come, but now it's looking like maybe none are. Extremely depressing that one of my favorite series is getting no attention in the west, especially after the huge push Nintendo did with DQ9. Must have sold extremely poorly.

Bururian

dqx might not ever come here. dqvii on the other hand, is a lot likelier.

the dqviii remake is next. probably a ps4 game.

I hope you're not talking about that debunked Operation Rainfall rumor. That was a lot of baloney. They aren't going to remake this game any time soon.

I'm really worried. I was sure DQ 10 would come, and really hoping that DQ7, Terry's Wonderland and DQ Heroes 3 would come, but now it's looking like maybe none are. Extremely depressing that one of my favorite series is getting no attention in the west, especially after the huge push Nintendo did with DQ9. Must have sold extremely poorly.

With how poorly the Joker games did, you can bet Terry's wonderland isn't coming over. I'd like that one to make its way, but it is very unlikely. We'll get main series games, but as for most of the spinoff games, you can generally forget about them coming stateside.

WolvenOne

Kinda a Japanese centric title. So, even if its coming to America, I'd have been surprised for it to be mentioned at the E3. Maybe during one of the twenty random Nintendo Directs scattered over the course of the year.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
I would ask the Blue Slime that moderates these here forums.
In my opinion, they have gone the P2P route, until they can give birth to creativity.

0Qe5mjC.png

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I really doubt DQX will come out in English, its a Sub based MMO of a series that is not super popular in the west on a system that isn't selling too fast in the west.

Bururian

Keep in mind guys, that there's usually 4 or so years between the last few Dragon Quest main titles. We got DQX pretty quickly, but I'm pretty sure it's because it was an MMO, so we still have some time before the next series installment.

Takao

Banned
I was actually going to make this thread. There's been no international releases since 2010 or 2011, right?

Square Enix isn't probably that happy with the Wii U's performance. Okay the 3DS is still there of course and Nintendo has probably moneyhatted the franchise to death but I would really like to see Dragon Quest on other platforms, especially a VIII remake on Vita.

Although I don't like the direction the series has taken, DQIX wasn't my cup of thee and I don't care for online either.

It sucks to think that they had to make a choice like this. To be fair, I don't think Dragon Quest has the same appeal outside of Japan, and 7 isn't exactly a small game to re-localize (which I am certain they would).

I'll still cling to my copy of 8. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom