• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge: DayZ set to arrive on PS4, but could skip Xbox One

Status
Not open for further replies.

Freki

Dean Hall has suggested that his standalone version of Arma 2 mod DayZ, intended for PC and next gen consoles, might not be released on Xbox One due to publishing and patching restrictions.

Microsoft does not allow indies to self publish and charges for patches, while on PS4, issuing a patch is free, and indies can publish titles themselves, says Hall.

“We’re happy to see DayZ on any console but there is a… I guess one problem,” Hall told us. “The console needs to not charge for us to do updates and it needs to be indie title friendly.”

When asked whether Microsoft and Sony are still charging for patches, Hall replied: “As far as I’m aware, Microsoft is, Sony’s not. And Sony allows you to self-publish. But who knows? Maybe Microsoft will change. From our perspective, we need self-publishing because DayZ would be a great digital download title.”

Hall added that Sony’s free patching policy is preferable because there are a lot of bugs in DayZ. “It’s gonna take a long time for us to be able to iron this out and we don’t wanna have to be paying ten, twenty thousand dollars – whatever it is – every time we wanna do an update.”

Hall’s remarks here echo Phil Fish’s decision not to patch Fez last year, as it would cost his studio “tens of thousands of dollars.”
source

Forgive me if old...

Meelow

Banned
Wonder if this means it has a chance to come to Wii U as well, since it also allows self publishing and no pay for patches.

Interesting, and very happy if it comes to PS4.

netBuff

i dont see a problem they dont patch their games on pc either.

DayZ has seen huge updates and changes in the last months.

Disappointing that Microsoft seems to perpetuate all their bad policies from the past: No self-publishing, patch fees, ...

dorkimoe

I would think the xbox 1 would be a good platform for this?

Its an online only game, the cloud would be great for the loot spawns and the zombies

legacyzero

Banned
And it doesn't deserve an amazing experience like DayZ. PS4 is clearly the better option for Rocket if that's the case.

As much as Rocket patches DayZ, I can understand not wanting to pay to patch. Shit is stupid anyway.

The_Monk

As someone who just started The Last of Us single player and had a great surprise at how nice the Multiplayer is, playing DayZ on the PS4 is going to be really, really good in my opinion.

Thanks for posting fellow GAFfer.

outsida

Has MS spoken on their patching policy in regards to the Xbox ONE? This is one of my gripes with them in regards to certain games like say TF2 being gimped on their console. It would be really hard to be an MMO or free to play game on the Xbox ONE if they still have that same policy in place.

netBuff

DayZ would certainly be an excellent title for the system - I know quite a few people that aren't that much into PC gaming (but are getting a PS4) I would enjoy playing together with.

As someone who just started The Last of Us single player and had a great surprise at how nice the Multiplayer is, playing DayZ on the PS4 is going to be really, really good in my opinion.

Thanks for posting fellow GAFfer.

I've had the same impression, The Last Of Us seems to be DayZ on a small scale. Really fun!

I really wish these devs would also consider the Wii U =(

Do it like me, I'm getting a PS4 to accompany my Wii U - seems to be the winning combination this gen ;)

Nintendo just needs to work on getting the Wii U to be a more appealing proposition for many people.

jim2011

I concur with his thoughts but I think Microsoft will change their stance on indies and patching from last gen.

Even if they don't, I think dayz is big enough that Microsoft would make exceptions for.

B.O.O.M

I actually expected to see this at E3 conference :D Day Z on ps4 will be awesome

So many damn good F2P games already for PS4

Planetside 2
Day Z
WarFrame
DCUO
War Thunder
Black Light

and not behind a paywall :) So good

WoolyNinja

Microsofts "pay to patch" is simply another money grab by them that hurts consumers. How do they justify it?

"Putting your patch on our servers costs us $20,000?"

Makes no sense. If I was developing a game for the 360 I'd be a nervous wreck as any bug could potentially be tens of thousands of dollars down the drain.

:lol

Poor Meelow, every time.

I think it just shows a problem with Nintendo and smaller devs. Why haven't they even talked to him? He worked on one of the most praised mods in the industry and is currently making a standalone version of it, yet it doesn't seem like they've even reached out to him.

Freki

Microsofts "pay to patch" is simply another money grab by them that hurts consumers. How do they justify it?

Makes no sense. If I was developing a game for the 360 I'd be a nervous wreck as any bug could potentially be tens of thousands of dollars down the drain.

I think the official stance is that paid patches promote day1 quality as there isn't an cheap option to just fix your problems later...

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
It doesn't sound like he even talked to MS, lol.

According to Eurogamer both MS and Sony has spoken to them.

Based on Lorne Lannings comments, Microsoft seems happy to license developers but still wants them to seek a publisher.

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
If the standard of development was as good as it was years ago then dev's wouldn't need to patch there games a few times a month.

The xbox one is clearly for devs with flawless games.

quest

Not Banned from OT
I usually hate shooter and never really played them online outside star hawk beta. But I would try this game for the right price and if they adapt the controls to the dual shock well.

Seventy5

I would think the xbox 1 would be a good platform for this?

Its an online only game, the cloud would be great for the loot spawns and the zombies
Can't the online server handle that anyway? This cloud business seems like they are just renaming what has been done before. Defiance is a persisent world on console and I haven't heard anyone crowing about its "clowd powah".

jim2011

Personally I think Microsoft tests every patch which is why there is a cost. Unlike say apple where so many apps get patched that cause more problems or the app not to even work.

I still think it should be free though

netBuff

Personally I think Microsoft tests every patch which is why there is a cost. Unlike say apple where so many apps get patched that cause more problems or the app not to even work.

I still think it should be free though

MS and Apple (the latter for free) both review every update: They check that their terms of service aren't violated and basic stability as well as compatibility is given. Certification isn't quality assurance.

Jeremiah%20Johnson%20nod.gif

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
I think the official stance is that paid patches promote day1 quality as there isn't an cheap option to just fix your problems later...

I think that there is merit to this stance but this is something that Microsoft is going to have to concede here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom