• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Witcher 3 DLCs on PC will be free, on consoles the price depends on platformholders

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/06/17/cdp-on-free-witcher-dlc-next-gen-drm-concerns/

Which is a tremendous relief, but only one piece of a much larger, increasingly complicated puzzle. CDP built a reputation on its admirable generosity with DLC and updates, but console-makers have been known to favor an approach that involves a bit more needless brutality toward piggy banks. Iwinski, however, plans to stay the course as best he can.

“It’s too early to talk specifics, but definitely all the DLCs and updates will be free,” he said. “Of course, we’ll see what the platform holders will allow – what we can do for free [on next-gen consoles]. I mean, there are different business models on consoles. From our standpoint, we’ll definitely do everything we can to deliver the same experience across all platforms.”

“Should we decide to do some big expansions or something, we’ll expect gamers to pay for it. But again, it’s all value for money. I think $15-$20 for new gameplay is a pretty honest and fair deal. But additional weapons and fixes, those of course come as part of the package.”

“We’ll be supporting The Witcher 3 for years after it comes out,” he said. “We’re also building the Redkit, and we’ll talk about modding Witcher 3 when the time comes. It’s all about a long-term relationship with our gamers. It even works from a business perspective. Abandoning our baby that we’ve worked on for several years would be crazy. The fact that we have a second game in development just gives us a better way to reallocate resources – QA and whatnot. It’s just a better way to manage the process internally. It’s better for the people and the team.”

“I think it’s in a way our trademark. People buy our games on day one because they trust us. And if we screw that up, it’s the end of the story pretty much.”

Qassim

Like Valve, they make it free where they can. I don't think they'll have an issue with it on the PlayStation, as I don't think Sony have the same restrictions on the amount of free content they can put out like on Xbox Live, where Valve had to charge the minimum after the first DLC pack.

ymmv

Banned
In other words: DLC is free on PC, but 360/Xbone owners have to pay. What's the situation on the PS3?

Orayn

Sony could follow up on the pummeling they gave MS at E3 by announcing that they're waiving any requirements that would prevent CDPR from releasing the DLC for free on PS4.

I mean, they'll presumably let their F2P lineup do large updates for free, won't they? Don't see why you wouldn't extend that to retail titles.

I know that plenty of PS3 games have had free DLC, but Sony should just come out and confirm it for PS4.

when is that combat balance mod for w2 coming out?

The 20th I think?

Depends on the formats they release the game on, but if they can get it on the PS4, and assuming Sony remains relaxed about free DLC then Microsoft's free DLC rule will kick in (you may only sell your DLC for £0.00 on Xbox Live if it's also available for £0.00 on PSN) and they should be able to make the DLC free on the Xbone.

Of course, this assumes that all the policies remain the same. So far, indications suggest that is the case, but we won't know for sure right now.

syko de4d

free DLC and Mods on PC... hard to decide which version to get :lol

Maybe they port some good Mods to the PS4? I hope so.

Xyber

I'm sad that this kind of practice makes the news in 2013.

Yeah. If a developer wants to give the fans more stuff for free, they should be able to. I hope they can make it a deal for PS+ members at least.

Getting the PC version myself, because I want my eyes to melt from all the beauty.

Probably only on Xbox, I think Sony allows publishers to put out free DLC.
Yeah, there's a lot of free DLC on the PS store. I don't think Sony has any limitations regarding that as long as the publishing gets paid for, and I don't see why that would change now - specially with them charging for online.

Sentenza

I swear, my anticipation for this game will drive me insane.
I can't even remember the last time I was expecting so much from an incoming title.
From time to time I'm even trying to convince myself I shouldn't be so sure, that they will most likely mess things up in some area, that the game will probably be "just good and nothing more", but a part of my brain just doesn't want to listen.

xenist

I have sworn to never pre-order anything. Except CDP Red games. As soon any images or videos of Triss come out I will place my order.

I would expect no less from the most consumer friendly major developer in the industry. Also, being vocal about this virtually guarantees that they will be free on consoles as well, I think.

Qassim

I would expect no less from the most consumer friendly major developer in the industry. Also, being vocal about this virtually guarantees that they will be free on consoles as well, I think.

Does it? Valve were pretty vocal about Xbox Live's policies but nothing changed when they wanted to release free DLC on XBL for their games, and Valve have more clout than CD Projekt Red.

Does it? Valve were pretty vocal about Xbox Live's policies but nothing changed when they wanted to release free DLC on XBL for their games, and Valve have more clout than CD Projekt Red.

The difference here is it's being released on both platforms. It only takes one console manufacturer to follow and it's free for all.

NekoFever

Doesn't Microsoft allow free DLC if it's free on other consoles? If that's still true, as long as Sony doesn't charge for it no one will have to pay.

Edit: Maybe not.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
“I think it’s in a way our trademark. People buy our games on day one because they trust us. And if we screw that up, it’s the end of the story pretty much.”
11ugkxu.gif

Where is the 'Where is the CDPR love' thread?

Doomshine

Traditionally it's MS that has issues with free games and DLC, unless Sony has changed some policies I expect it to be free on PS4 as well.

ms policy is that free dlc is generally a no. But if Sony give it away for free they reluctantly let it. Explains left4dead 1 but why portal 2 got tonnes of free shit.

I thought that (if it's free on PS3 it's free on Xbox 360) was a hard set policy from MS but apparently not.

FGMPR

Banned
I'll be buying on GOG, like I did with W2. I prefer my games on Steam, but these guys deserve every cent, even if I do miss out on Steam stats/achievements.

Yeah. If a developer wants to give the fans more stuff for free, they should be able to. I hope they can make it a deal for PS+ members at least.

Getting the PC version myself, because I want my eyes to melt from all the beauty.

I have a feeling he's trying to troll again by arguing MS and Sony should be able to force CD to charge what ever they want simce its their platform and hardware thereby getting people upset and posting his avatar. He routinely does it.

Same here, will probably go GOG this time (went retail last time but I haven't bought anything retail for very long).

In fact if you're calling yourself a PC Gamer and prefer to get a new game on Steam instead of GOG (and they both release on the same day), you're doing it wrong. It's DRM-free.

FGMPR

Banned
Same here, will probably go GOG this time (went retail last time but I haven't bought anything retail for very long).

In fact if you're calling yourself a PC Gamer and prefer to get a new game on Steam instead of GOG (and they both release on the same day), you're doing it wrong. It's DRM-free.

I have a large GoG library to complement my Steam one, and I do love having a nice clean .exe file with no strings attached, as well as the bonus material which is often top-notch; however I still prefer to have my games with time stats. Achievements are nice too, though I'm not too overly concerned with those. The biggest issue will be possible Steam Workshop support. It'll be hard to say no to a Steam version if that's the case, but as long as all the mods are offered on a site like nexus, I'll be buying it on GoG.

Top Bottom