• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I've had a shit experience with OUYA so far

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Backing OUYA was a terrible idea. I know, I got it, it was a Kickstarter. I should have expected these growing pains. I don't care. They received nearly nine times their initial goal. That sort of capital, along with the already known project heads, should have made this ordeal a better experience. Anyway, GAF is for discussions. I want to share my disappointing experience.

Let's talk timeline.

• Estimated delivery of March 2013 for backers.
  • March rolls around and aside from maybe a dozen people, no one gets their OUYA in March. You can look at the official GAF OUYA thread. We're all looking at each other, hearing about these alleged shipments, yet except for one dude, none of us have received one.
  • No real numbers about shipments are made until an email on April 13 with this chart

TheChart.png

Instead of shipping by whoever backed first, different categories are being prioritized. First is the console, then Limited Edition backers, then people who ordered an extra controller. So if you were the fifth to back yet you still ordered an extra controller, OUYA screwed you over. Back of the line with you.
  • On April 19, we get another email. It's an updated chart. More importantly, it's a reconsideration of the original order prioritization. It's now by backer number, for the most part. Supposedly.
  • On April 29, I receive my OUYA is coming email. Cool. It's a month late, but OK. I should receive a tracking number soon.
  • I don't hear shit until I email them. I finally get an automated USPS tracking number notification on May 10.
  • A couple more emails updating the above chart. Good news for transparency.
  • On May 24, all orders have allegedly been shipped. Three months late. The email says, "Yep, 100 percent of all early backer orders have successfully shipped this week from our warehouse in Hong Kong and are en route to all of you still waiting patiently for your OUYA." This language is disingenuous. Orders have been shipped from the manufacturer to the shipping company. That's very different than orders are all shipped to backers. Purposely misleading language.
  • May 29, my OUYA finally arrives in the mail. There are no rooting instructions included in the box, as we were promised. That's crap. I try to set it up and immediately I notice the controller is DOA. I spend some time troubleshooting but yeah, it's DOA.
  • I email support that same day. I don't hear back until June 7. The response? "I've forwarded your ticket to the proper department." It took over a week to do that? Weak.
  • On June 9, I get an email asking me to provide a picture of my OUYA's controller's serial number. The serial number doesn't exist on the controller. I assume that's because they've been using different manufacturers and things are all over the place. Regardless, I'm pretty annoyed I need to email them a picture of the controller. Their first response should be "OK, we're sending you a replacement. In the mean time, take a picture of you holding the controller with a shoe on your head." Whatever. Just send out the controller first before you try to enlist me to diagnose your manufacturer issues for you. I shouldn't have had to deal with that. You get it back, you figure which shipment has had the issues. I'm sure my providing the serial number is helpful but the approach felt insincere.
  • No response about the replacement controllers so I email and receive a response on June 17 about being in the queue.
  • Still no controller. June 17, GAF thread.

A major reason I backed it is because I didn't like the video game scene these days. Publishers have too much power. That said, I wish I could return this POS and grab a Roku box instead. I wanted it to run XMBC, emulators, and whatever hidden gems would appear on the system eventually. From my understanding, there are currently very few worthwhile games. I backed it early on, initially. Then I later canceled my backing, thinking what's the harm in waiting? I became impatient and backed it again, thinking I'd get it in March. Hoo boy, what a mistake.

I hope to not read the "why you mad, stop being entitled" anti-consumer backlash gamers seem to self inflict. I'm not mad. I'm not distraught. I have a ton of games to play (Thanks, PS+!). I'm just annoyed there's been little talk of OUYA's issues. I was out of pocket for this thing in August and it's still not here. You guys who decided to sit it out and wait are the smart ones.

Finally, I don't want anyone from OUYA PMing me or posting in this thread to ask me for my ticket number so you can help solve my issue. I shouldn't have need to make a big stink just to get my problem solved. Again, I only wanted to make people aware of these issues. Treat all backers the same.

Who could have predicted that ordering a product from a new company that hasn't shipped a product & paying up front would be a bad idea?
Does the US not have an equivalent of the Distance of Sale Act?

entremet

Having adequate customer service seems to be one of the flaws of the KS system. Since the projects are one shots in nature, they don't really seem to the support infrastructure in place that an established company might.

It's the same with any first gen devices! takes a few goes to sort out what is broken!

I feel bad for you as your not getting the enjoyment that you expected and this is why I'm never an early adoptor!

hayguyz

Banned
i still don't understand what a OUYA is supposed to be. a console that plays android games on a tv instead of a phone?

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Everyone received a lesson in why big hardware manufacturers are the best at what they do and why they can do it by supporting this flight of fancy.

Guess people just really wanted a new box to get hyped over since MS and Sony were dragging their next-gen heels. Now the future is here though and everyones like "eh". Hope all those "OUYA EXCLUSIVES" look into PS4's embracing indie arms.

Dawg

I still remember people hyping this on 9gag etc. A new competitor in the console business.

Good god.

Amneisac

While there's certainly some truth to the people who are saying, "What did you expect!" - from what I've read they've still kind of screwed the pooch a little more than I would have expected. I didn't order one because I didn't even think it sounded like something I'd want if it worked perfectly, but I have a friend who did and he's had a pretty similar experience to the OP.

Sounds like they're really fucking this up hard.

sajj316

Bboy, if I remember correctly, you also supported Onlive. There is no doubt in my mind your intent to move away from the big three. However, supporting something new can be as frustrating as starting something new.

CeePhour

Banned
They received nearly nine times their initial goal.

This may be the point where you can trace back to where customer service issues arise. They probably didn't 1) expect this 2) have the manpower to handle it.

I, on the other hand, waited until almost the last possible day to back the device, and received my shipment way the hell early. My device works properly, and I am patiently awaiting XBMC (I waited to back for the XBMC announcement). The overall experience for me has been incredibly positive, I'm sorry it has sucked for you. These things happen.

The only solace I can offer is: you're not missing much :)
We need to give it some time... there was a reason this was Kickstarted and not something you picked up at retail.

Anyone expecting a device that would be flawless on the level of multi million dollar companies had unrealistic expectations to begin with.

Do people even realize how much money companies spend into making sure that production is churning out products at a satisfactory quality and quantity.
Especially for start ups, getting the contracts and production lines to even do exactly what you want them to do, is consuming an incredible amount of time and thus money.

But you have to start somewhere and OUYA seems to be a good starting point. Early adopters should always be aware of them being basically guinea pigs.

x-Lundz-x

You should have had someone you know who was going to E3 run by their lemonade stand and pick you up a new one.

Sorry about your frustration OP...

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
From what I've read, this console has been a complete disaster so far. Sorry to hear about your issues, OP. Hope you can get a working controller soon, though at this point I'd ask for a refund if I were you.

Daedardus

Anyone expecting a device that would be flawless on the level of multi million dollar companies had unrealistic expectations to begin with.

Pretty sure $10 million dollar is enough money to hire some people for a month or two to iron the kinks out. I don't know how much of those dollars went to BoM's, but it should be at least enough to provide something better than this.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Bboy, if I remember correctly, you also supported Onlive. There is no doubt in my mind your intent to move away from the big three. However, supporting something new can be as frustrating as starting something new.
I'm not necessarily looking to move away from the big three. I just appreciate good, new ideas. And I still think OnLive, or rather, the tech behind it, is genius and Sony's move with Gaikai is probably the best way to implement the tech. I felt OUYA was similar. There really was no home for indies other than the mobile markets. With PS4, however, maybe things will change and OUYA will cease to exist. Can you tell I've preordered a PS4? Heh. But I totally appreciate your sentiment. It's easy to get burned and there's not much upside to backing these things. It's smarter to wait it out for sure.

did they really tell you to take a picture with a shoe on your head?

at that point, i would be on the phone with my bank or credit card company.

Ha, I'm just annoyed at them asking me for a picture of my controller's serial number before sending out a replacement controller.

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
I still do not have mine, apparently it "shipped" 3 days ago but the tracking number still doesn't work.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
I finally got the "Your Ouya is in route" email (no tracking number, though). The problem being now that I'm about 10,000 km from the shipping adress...

Takuya

Banned
I kickstarted Ouya, got it, and well... It's what I expected it to be...

A terrible 'console'. The controller is awful, and well, it turned into a Twitch.tv tuner on one of my old television sets.

Routing to customers is the hardest part of any launch and the easiest thing to muck up. It's taken for granted because the big 3 seem to do it effortlessly but it's an expensive and complicated endeavour, particularly for a startup.

JordanKZ

Sorry but, you kickstarted this thing. Theres no guarantees about anything... I'm not saying that the service you had was anywhere near acceptable, but it comes with the territory.

Top Bottom