• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I've had a shit experience with OUYA so far

So far majority of things I kickstartered have been disappointments, so I'm really turned off by them. Its so easy to make something sound cool, but lot of these companies also have zero experience and are new to the business so they are constantly making mistakes and not delivering. I have a big stack of board/card games that have all sucked balls but sounded cool and got ton of kickstarter hype.

It is a neat idea, since it solves the two main issues with mobile chips: battery-exterminating power consumption at full blast and shitty capacitor-popcorning cooling.

Unfortunately, they chose a craptacular SoC as their starting point, never created a proper contingency for getting way more money than originally requested, and had all the regular start-up flowthrough issues big-brand companies pay tens of millions of dollars to avoid. Not to mention that they probably should've subcontracted an established peripheral producer (even a second-tier one, like Speedlink, does a better job than trying to build and debug a controller from scratch) to make the gamepad once they tallied the final pledge.

I still think they're closer to the right answer than the MadCatz people with their Project MOJO, who succumbed to the dumb peerpressured desire to 'make it fanless'.

MOJO is fanless? hahahaha good luck with that!

Success

Interesting, it is weird to see all the hype for the Ouya die down once the next gen consoles where revealed.

It seems like people were really just hungry for new hardware.

While I agree with most on "what did you expect?", I do find this only applies on (quality of) the actual product.

For a startup company they could have at least gone the extra mile to provide a more decent customer experience. How hard can it be to provide decent customer support? To keep people informed on the actual status of their order? If you actually care about that, it's really not that hard.

decent customer support is pretty expensive.

Thanks for writing this up. Ouya was a neat idea on paper, in my opinion. I didn't back it though, because it was more of a "it'd be cool to have one" than a "I really want one" thing. I would've considered picking one up post-launch if the reviews were positive. It's too bad the whole thing fell apart.

I'm not sure how "Android console" looks good on paper, or any other material

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Ah, I remember those times, back before Sony reignited our faith in videogames.

I haven't been this excited for a console in 8 years! I could have bought two years of PS+ instead of this OU-SHIT.

So far majority of things I kickstartered have been disappointments, so I'm really turned off by them. Its so easy to make something sound cool, but lot of these companies also have zero experience and are new to the business so they are constantly making mistakes and not delivering. I have a big stack of board/card games that have all sucked balls but sounded cool and got ton of kickstarter hype.

Join the cool club of people who sit back, don't fund, and get to see how it all turns out, at others' expense. Best seat in the house.

Interesting, it is weird to see all the hype for the Ouya die down once the next gen consoles where revealed.

It seems like people were really just hungry for new hardware.

I personally just wanted an emulation box other my power-eating modded 1st gen PS3, but this thing is really lacking on that end at the moment

blitz64

I bought the Xperia play. It is android so I learned my lesson.

Never buying any android/ios/Linux gaming system ever again.

I would have thought most people knew that in the end Ouya was only being brought /end reason to own one was to use it as an emulation box =/

That's not to say all will use it that way but when it's using Android =/

Sheroking

Serious question: What's the point of Ouya as an "emulation box" when you own a PC? Is there some aspect this thing that I've never heard?

Gerald

No sympathy. You kickstarted the project and should have known what you were getting into. What's the saying? "A fool and his money are soon parted."

Sethos

Banned
64mzee6wkpr3.gif

Fusebox

Banned
I was bummed I didn't order one in the first kick starter run, now I'm kind of glad I didn't. Sorry to hear your grief OP.

No sympathy. You kickstarted the project and should have known what you were getting into. What's the saying? "A fool and his money are soon parted."

This is a customer service issue at its core. Did it say somewhere on the kick starter page that he will also be given shit customer service as part of the project? No it didn't, so why be a cunt about it.

Vitet

Early backer. I'm still waiting for it because "your adress was wrong"
I just copy-paste the same adress I put on everything: "your adress is now right, we well send it soon". Two weeks and still waiting ¬¬

I'm gonna make my own console and it's gonna have Final Fantasy and Zelda and Super Mario.

- me at age 8

I'm gonna make my own console and it's gonna have Final Fantasy and Zelda and Super Mario.

- OUYA makers, at age 35

That sucks OP.
At least you didn't buy a Onlive System like I did. Was only a 100 but I don't know what I was thinking. Must've just wanted a neat collectors item. Because I've never used the damn thing. Controller is nice though.....but doesn't work on PC last I tried

well at least you got a controller that works on one console, OP got one that works on none

Jawmuncher

That sucks OP.
At least you didn't buy a Onlive System like I did. Was only a 100 but I don't know what I was thinking. Must've just wanted a neat collectors item. Because I've never used the damn thing. Controller is nice though.....but doesn't work on PC last I tried

WolvenOne

I kinda expected this, I didn't quite expect it to be THIS bad, but I did expect it. I mean, its an un-established little group, and decent start-up funds doesn't mean a company is immune from growing pains.

This isn't a defense BTW. I figured from day one that Ouya was over promising, that they would be rough around the edges and have few good games by launch. I was hopeful that I'd end up being wrong, but alas...

You have my sympathy for being fucked, which is unacceptable, but as a few others have said it wasn't a particularly solid concept in the first place imo.

WolvenOne

PS

In my mind, the best these guys can hope for is to be bought up by a bigger fish, for use of the brand and basic concept. It's clear to me that they're too inexperienced to do this right.

Lol @ the gif. The HW in the device isn't good enough relative to a console or PC. You might as well cobble together a set-up with your phone/tablet until tech matures for a cheap price.

4lejandro

I can't remember when I got it but it has been used once or twice... to play Mario Kart (SNES), still waiting to get XBMC, Netflix, and great emulators for it to serve its purpose... didn't like the controller that much.

Seth

To OP.. Don't get your hopes up. I finally got mine and the thing is awful. I am keeping in mind the true release isn't until later this month so I am hoping the system updates (which seem pretty frequent right now) fix it up.

ILoveBish

I am waiting for a 50 buck ouya on clearance. Definitely will work great for what i want it for (retroarch, xbmc, twitch, browser on tv, youtube, pictures). Bring on the target clearance.

That is without a doubt - the worst, cheapest looking controller I've ever seen.

Though it's been said a million times - and I appreciate that the OP is being treated poorly as a customer/supporter... I feel no sympathy for the backers of this train wreck.

The idea of a Console that played mobile phone games was pathetic to begin with. An emulation box was the most interesting concept - and even that was questionable. When it was first announced on Kickstarter - I clicked the thread, had a read, laughed and closed the tab. Glad I did now.

Backing such a device was one simple mistake to begin with.

I remember staring at the Kickstarter screen, refreshing, watching the number rise. People bought in on hype, even though they promised nothing except the work of other people.

I thought to myself: "Self. Do you really need your username booked for this? Is it going to be a big thing to distinguish yourself as an early backer?"

And I realized, no. In fact, it's a mark of rushed stupidity.

Jac_Solar

Don't care about the Ouya, but sorry that you had such a bad experience OP.

The upside to this entire thing would be that the company behind the Ouya are now one of a very few companies with that kind of experience, and could bring a much better dedicated Android gaming device, or any sort of dedicated gaming device to the market. But yeah, they have no obligation to do anything.

Stimpack

It's alright for playing around with XBMC. That's about it.

Here are a few problems I've experienced so far.

1. It appears to be outputting at 1080p, despite my tv only being 720p. This leads to a large part of the screen being cut off.

2. It has an overscan option. The overscan option just tells you to use the overscan provided by your television. My television doesn't have an overscan option. What's the point?

3. It has a sleep timer. A forced sleep timer. The cap is 30 minutes of inactivity before shutting down. This means that if you're watching a movie or something, well you know what to expect. How the fuck is there not an option to disable sleep mode entirely? Boggles the mind.

I mean they literally just introduced the ability to shut the console off with the controller like a week ago. Up until then I would have to get up, hold the power button on the console, then select the option with the controller that lets me shut the thing down.

It's a rough start. I hope it gets better. It's rather disappointing to have my meager expectations unmet.

TheExodu5

Banned
Got my shipment e-mail on May 24th. Still haven't gotten the system.

That is without a doubt - the worst, cheapest looking controller I've ever seen.

Though it's been said a million times - and I appreciate that the OP is being treated poorly as a customer/supporter... I feel no sympathy for the backers of this train wreck.

The idea of a Console that played mobile phone games was pathetic to begin with. An emulation box was the most interesting concept - and even that was questionable. When it was first announced on Kickstarter - I clicked the thread, had a read, laughed and closed the tab. Glad I did now.

The concept is fine. The execution was shit.

satam55

Banned
The "Ouya" is DOA. With other new upcoming consoles that can actually play native Android & iOS games with the newer Tegra 4 chip, the "Ouya" dosen't matter.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
That sucks OP.
I have an OnLive system. In fact, I made the OnLive OT on GAF. I sure didn't pay $100 for it, though.

Serious question: What's the point of Ouya as an "emulation box" when you own a PC? Is there some aspect this thing that I've never heard?

Couch.

FlyFaster

Should have backed the Rift.

Also, I don't think OUYA was any good from the start. What exactly does it do? Emulate? Indie games? Mobile/iOS games? Can't you do ALL of that (and more) (oh, and better) on a PC? $100 for a box that is going to wind up hosting mostly trash games. Please tell me you didn't back the project for more then the cost of the "system". I think it's pretty laughable that most people I know have phones that are more powerful then OUYA as well.

AAA games might not be in gamers best interest but I never believed that OUYA was the right direction either. It swings too far in the other direction. live and learn I guess.

as a side note, I'm interested to see how more and more of these Kickstarters turn out in the future. I'm pretty much expecting disasters on a frequent basis. Paying upfront for something based on a few development videos and goodwill isn't a good idea imo.

Top Bottom