• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Activision: Destiny "probably one of biggest investments in new IP ever in industry"

Wonder what kind of cash money was put towards this thing. I hope it pays off for Bungie.
Who am I kidding, yea it will lol.

“The potential is huge,” Hirshberg told IGN. “It’s a sizeable investment. It’s probably one of the biggest investments in a new IP that’s ever been made in this industry. We wouldn’t be making that investment if we didn’t believe in the potential.

“There are certain mechanics in this industry that people want to be able to pick up and play and immediately be having fun with,” Hirshberg continued. “At the end of the day, it’s a first-person shooter by Bungie. Everyone who loved Halo is going to love Destiny.

“They’re very different games made by very different creative visionaries,” Hirshberg said. “I think that they can peacefully coexist with one another. I think that what Call of Duty has done, it’s done better than anybody. The multiplayer is a visceral, impactful, white-knuckle-ride experience. What Bungie has done, they have done better than anyone as well. The first-person shooter genre has shown tremendous staying power, as well as tremendous capacity in terms of the appetite people have for it. I think what we’ve seen is that if there are good games in this genre, people will show up to play them. But if you have to compete, it’s nice to compete with yourself.”

Via IGN

I wonder what kind of monster truck sales they're expecting on this. It doesn't seem like it's going to be supported by a subscription...yet.

Naked Lunch

Im a big Bungie fan but Destiny looked not only boring but incredibly easy. Not to mention it sports a hyper generic art style. Not a good combo.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
"Everyone who loved Halo will love Destiny."
Lolno, I played Halo for campaign.

I've been a huge Bungie fan since Mac and I wouldn't spend a dollar on this.

Jomjom

Banned
...anddddd this is why companies keep closing. Why spend this much? Would a couple millions less make a game that is way worse?

Irnbru

Jesus, the hate is strong in here, I think it looks awesome. As a borderlands junkie and love of H2, if they can replicate the feel of H2 and a good loot system, I'm sold for years, already have a group and everything.

NinjaBoiX

Thanks Activision, this is valuable information. We're all well aware of the directly proportional correlation between a game's budget and it's quality.

I will now buy this game for my Xbox One Entertainment System.

Guevara

Looks super derivative of other games in my opinion; basically part Halo, part Borderlands. I'll never understand why that costs so much in this industry.

That said, I like Halo and Borderlands so I'm interested.

Xater

Do we know if Destiny has a monthly fee yet? I'm assuming it does, but if it doesn't I may actually play it for a little while.

It doesn't. They plan to support it with expansions.

Looks super derivative of other games in my opinion; basically part Halo, part Borderlands. I'll never understand why that costs so much in this industry.

That said, I like Halo and Borderlands so I'm interested.

Borderlands with actually interesting combat sounds good to me. Also the way they do MP is just way cooler.

Eusis

...anddddd this is why companies keep closing. Why spend this much? Would a couple millions less make a game that is way worse?
Well, the main problem there is they'd keep trying to do these kinds of investments on all sorts of games, even if it's a developer's debut or they didn't establish a track record yet. In this case though Halo has been of the highest selling game series out there and was possibly THE only reason the Xbox became relevant in the first place. So with that kind of reputation, yeah, you can probably gamble away with a huge investment more reliably. Especially when it's early in the generation and you can establish trends with a big exciting game.

StuBurns

Banned
I think it's a lock for a megahit amongst the core audience, we'll have to see outside of that, artistically I think it looks to have a really broad audience appeal, and Borderlands was a huge success despite being very poorly designed. People are gagging for this sub-genre.

Colasante

I think it will be fascinating to see how Destiny and TitanFall play out against one another. I'm sure Destiny will sell more due purely to the fact that it's on two consoles, obviously, but it will be interesting to see if EA is vindicated in its decision to make TitanFall exclusive for Xbox One.

With the kind of advertising that they are throwing at this thing coupled with the positive press I wouldn't doubt this game being successful at business level.

I hope it's better than what I saw from e3.

Did you see any of the behind the scenes stuff

d26x7z.gif

This is only one of the planets

StuBurns

Banned
I think it will be fascinating to see how Destiny and TitanFall play out against one another. I'm sure Destiny will sell more due purely to the fact that it's on two consoles, obviously, but it will be interesting to see if EA is vindicated in its decision to make TitanFall exclusive for Xbox One.
Considering you'll never know how much MS paid, you'll never know if it was a good call.

Pop

Looked good to me. I think they should focus on showing off the supposedly massive scale of this game to get people hyped.

They need to show off the competitive multiplayer. :D

And to everyone saying it looked boring during E3, it was scripted. C'mon now, the demo was below the easiest setting just so they wouldn't die. Destiny has more potential than any other game showed at E3. How many other games showed at E3 that you can travel to different planets? None son

Maximus.

I am excited for it but looks like a borderlands type of game. Borderlands just has a lot of personality so I want to see how this game handles that aspect.

Omega

Banned
i hate the word visceral. i wish these people would stop using that word. I don't even know what it means anymore it's tossed around so much

it has no meaning anymore, kind of like how people say "im sorry" for everything

Top Bottom