• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Activision: Destiny "probably one of biggest investments in new IP ever in industry"

Weenerz

Banned
Before E3, I ignored this game mostly because I wasn't a big fan of the Halo games, but seeing their demo during the PS4 conference sold me, game looks so damn good.

pushBAK

Don't think these guys were expecting Division to show up at E3. Probly their biggest competition. That and F2P persistent games like Warframe and Planetside 2.

GorillaJu

It's funny how in those last few lines he big ups Bungie (but not Halo), and Call of Duty (but not IW). Always very careful wording.

RoKKeR

I'm ready. I know it's hard for people to get excited or interested when they are still being fairly coy on the details, but I have faith that Bungie will really show up with something we aren't quite expecting.

Really looking forward to it, and I hope it pays off for them. I'm there Day 1 on my PS4, ready to Remote Play my nights away with this game.

TxdoHawk

I think it looks interesting and I want to play it, but:

Everyone who loved Halo is going to love Destiny.

...seems like a pretty terrible assumption to make. The Halo fanbase has very specific tastes, and it doesn't seem like Destiny really syncs up with these tastes.

Krilekk

Banned
They dropped halo to make bigger halo. Looks good anyways.

Yeah, I don't get that. The architecture, the enemies, the weapons, it all screams reskinned Halo. Graphics look better at both Battlefield 4 and Titanfall - which run at 60 fps instead of 30. But graphics never were Bungies strong suit, community and multiplayer were.

Yeah, I don't get that. The architecture, the enemies, the weapons, it all screams reskinned Halo. Graphics look better at both Battlefield 4 and Titanfall - which run at 60 fps instead of 30. But graphics never were Bungies strong suit, community and multiplayer were.

It doesn't scream re-skinned Halo to me, but then, I was always a campaign player and never really played Halo MP. The player character types with leveling and progression as well as weapons that level and the loot aspect of the game are very different than Halo, certainly. Old destroyed cars and post-invasion Earth don't seem very Halo to me. Having events that happen in open worlds seems VERY un-Halo to me.

I was a bit disappointed that the assault rifle and aiming reticules looked very Halo, but it's not that it's bad, just that it's familiar. It seems to have cooperative MP and PVP MP both and it looks like you can opt out of either if you really want to. I didn't see ammo anywhere and so I wonder how ammo (and health for that matter) are handled. I didn't see the traditional containers from which you loot those things.

Aspiring

Well haters be damned was easily my fav game at E3 and my most anticipated I cannot wait. Looks amazing, and we have not even scratched the surface of what it has to offer! Please bungie give me some real time space combat!!!

GopherD

it'll be fun watching Titanfall destroying their borderlands clone

keep reskinning halo bungle, i saw those textures

It will still sell gang busters on PS4 and PC regardless, so I don't think they'll lose a lot of sleep over it. May even pave the way for more exclusive stuff from Bungie on a playstation if it sells well on the platform.

And if its a proxy way of getting Halo on playstation, there are tens of millions of gamers who won't mind a bit.

Personally I will be playing the tits out of this.

Lunchbox

Banned
And if its a proxy way of getting Halo on playstation, there are tens of millions of gamers who won't mind a bit.
halo wasnt a dull Aim down sight, insta knife kill melee, sprint fest

halo4 tried to go down that path and fell on its face miserably, but its nice to see bungle hasnt learned shit from watching that

it'll be fun watching Titanfall destroying their borderlands clone

keep reskinning halo bungle, i saw those textures

Are they similar enough to DIRECTLY compete? Although obviously there will be overlap, I kind of feel like Destiny isn't a Titanfall competitor the way that Battlefield is a direct competitor to CoD. I say that because I'm not remotely into games like BF or CoD (and hence not into Titanfall), but I will definitely play Destiny.

Is the Xbox One getting that Exclusive Content the PS4 is getting?

I don't believe so. I vaguely remember someone saying the One version might be getting it's own DLC, but that might have beeen wishful thinking.

well they already said, and emphasized, that all of that is explorable space.

Well, that's not really what they said...

Playable Space, that we hope to one day get to send you to.

It's essentially a very pretty skybox for now, they hope to be able to send people there one day, probably in some DLC and even then I have my doubts over how much of the visible area will be explorable.

It's classic Bungie. I feel people who aren't familiar with how they sell their games are in for a bit of a shock when this releases. They talk big before release, but it often falls flat for the most part. Don't get me wrong, I love their ambition and their enthusiasm, but I've been burnt by them too many times with Halo to give them the benefit of the doubt here.

It will still sell gang busters on PS4 and PC regardless, so I don't think they'll lose a lot of sleep over it. May even pave the way for more exclusive stuff from Bungie on a playstation if it sells well on the platform.

Personally I will be playing the tits out of this.

1. It isn't Playstation console exclusive.

2. It's nothing like Halo at all.

3. It'll sell well on all platforms but likely miss their lofty expectations.

1. It isn't Playstation console exclusive.

2. It's nothing like Halo at all.

3. It'll sell well on all platforms but likely miss their lofty expectations.

I don't know, it had shades of Halo gameplay. Perhaps not as tight due to more open nature of the game and multiplayer focus, but you can definitely see the Halo influences.

JWong

Banned
In your opinion, what are the weaknesses of Halo and how do you think they carry into Destiny?

What I think of Halo is that it's a floaty, un-weighted shooter.

I've heard GB or Weekend Confirmed saying it's not the case for Destiny. It does feel like Halo aesthetics if anything.

Destiny looks promising, and the second game from Bungie I am really interested to play.

Destiny looks from the first footage I have seen to be made by a more matured Bungie.

In your opinion, what are the weaknesses of Halo and how do you think they carry into Destiny?

Depends on which Halo we're talking about.

Halo 3 and ODST were damn hear perfect in terms of everything. Level design, gunplay was incredibly balanced, enemy encounters, pretty much everything except for the visuals, but I can forgive those due to how perfectly tuned the gameplay was.

Reach, however, set the series down a path that has led us to Halo 4 with it's overly annoying focus on perks and it's less than stellar gameplay. Gunplay was still as tight as ever in Reach, but the perks such as armour lock the like ruined the core Halo experience.

Reach was good mind and I'll certainly speak up for it when people trash it completely (but then I tend to find the good in most games), but to be brutally honest, it's not a patch on Halo 3 or ODST and it's why I'm not so inclined to give Bungie to the benefit of the doubt here. That and their over promising and under delivering.

After all, I think we can all agree that developers are only as good as their last game and Bungie's last game wasn't great...

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I think it looks interesting and I want to play it, but:

...seems like a pretty terrible assumption to make. The Halo fanbase has very specific tastes, and it doesn't seem like Destiny really syncs up with these tastes.
I don't this is all that true in the first place, and in as much as it is, I think it's mostly true for the competitive multiplayer. With Destiny being a cooperative focused game, I don't think that'll be much of an issue.

Reach, however, set the series down a path that has led us to Halo 4 with it's overly annoying focus on perks and it's less than stellar gameplay. Gunplay was still as tight as ever in Reach, but the perks such as armour lock the like ruined the core Halo experience.
I'd agree with that if it weren't for the bloom mechanic. The faster you shot, the less accurate your shots were. The problem was, it was wildly inconsistent, and at certain ranges made the accuracy of your shots feel like a dice roll. Never know what you're gonna get. It was absolutely terrible.

Ovek

7Member7
Not knowing anything about this game and only watching the E3 play through video I assume this game is a FPS Diablo, with a story driven campaign, drop in multiplayer and random loot drops. Hum I'm not sure what to make of that, the graphics look ok I suppose, I hope they were playing on the easiest difficulty at E3 because the boss battles looked stupidly easy, especially the last "public" event one.... You could have jut stood in one place and took pot shots at its weak points (shoot the glowing bit! Yawn).

Perkel

Banned
I love how everyone is so certain they know everything about the game from a 20 minute demo and some art assets. I feel like they've barely shown anything so far. It's hard to tell.

But on GAF it's "Oh so it's Bungielands, then."

Kind of like how everyone was pissed because Burnout Paradise was "just Test Drive Unlimited."

Because it looks like Borderlands. If it looks like a duck...

If they will show something other than this then we have to assume it is not Hellgate London clone.

EvB

I'm curious as to how many games it takes before the vast majority of neogaf start hating on the franchise

COD
Halo
Assassin's Creed

in my eyes have all been consistently high quality games, but for some reason many people choose to disregard this because they have had numerous cycles.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
That never really makes sense to me as far as projecting the sense of a believable world. The fact is that enemies really shouldn't be everywhere, you should simply feel like they COULD be anywhere. PVP could happen in dead zones if PVP is in the game, though.
It doesn't necessarily need enemies, I just don't want a lifeless map being labeled as a "play area" if there are things to interact with, explore, discover, etc or NPC's out there, then cool.

I'd agree with that if it weren't for the bloom mechanic. The faster you shot, the less accurate your shots were. The problem was, it was wildly inconsistent, and at certain ranges made the accuracy of your shots feel like a dice roll. Never know what you're gonna get. It was absolutely terrible.

It's been some time since I last played Reach, so I can't comment on this too much beyond saying that I do vaguely remember this as being a problem. I think I need to stop replaying ODST and dedicate some time to Reach again as I feel that's pretty close to what we'll see from Destiny in terms of gameplay.

Although if they happen to return to the gameplay of older Halo titles, I think everyone is in for a very pleasant surprise.

Depends on which Halo we're talking about.

Halo 3 and ODST were damn hear perfect in terms of everything. Level design, gunplay was incredibly balanced, enemy encounters, pretty much everything except for the visuals, but I can forgive those due to how perfectly tuned the gameplay was.

Reach was good mind and I'll certainly speak up for it when people trash it completely (but then I tend to find the good in most games), but to be brutally honest, it's not a patch on Halo 3 or ODST and it's why I'm not so inclined to give Bungie to the benefit of the doubt here. That and their over promising and under delivering.

After all, I think we can all agree that developers are only as good as their last game and Bungie's last game wasn't great...

Aren't you locked to only two different guns throughout the Halo series? I know 1, 2, and 4 still had this somewhat archaic feature. Any idea how Destiny handles weapon inventory?

Is there a campaign?

As much as I loved Halo MP, co-op Campaign is pretty much why I played Halo 2/3.

It's an online only campaign.

We still know very little about the gameplay and the narrative.

We don't even know how they will implement ship ownership. Will there be space combat?

There's room for both. Especially with Destiny having a more appealing setting for me while Division seems more interesting mechanically.

This.

I may enjoy playing the Division more...but it won't beat the Star Wars vibe I'm getting from Destiny. Star Wars in our own universe.

I don't see the Halo in this outside of the stellar environment design.

I also don't know why people who didn't like Reach or Halo 4 are hyped for this. Is there a competitive multiplayer that won't involve loadouts or ordnance or anything of the like?

I just want to know whether the levels are used to gate content and restrict grouping or are more like Halo 4 skill levels and just represent time played.

Dramos

I hope Destiny pays off for Bungie. One think that Destiny is missing compared to Halo is the sense of story and attachment. For many, the addition to the great multiplayer FPS experience on consoles, Master Chief, the Convenant and Cortana helped the players stay in love to the universe.

I'm personally afraid and I think that Destiny won't find the same success as Halo. Gameplay didn't seem very interesting. I think it is very similar to Borderlands. As for dynamic events, it feels like Guild Wars 2. From my experience, if Destiny ends up recycling these events it will end up very boring. Not to mention, I don't think there is PvP.

The only thing that impressed me so far is the art and incredible environments.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
Everyone who loved Halo is going to love Destiny.

What a ridiculous statement to make...

It looks like a mash up of CoD, Reach and Borderlands.

Where is the person who loves
real
Halo going to go?

I just think the game would stand on its own two feet better if it didn't have cross gen roots. I'm sure Activision wants to get the most out of its investment in the short term and thus its going to end up on the PS3/360 regardless.

Keasar

Biggest? Sure, maybe.
Best? Star Citizen and Cyberpunk 2077 is a little hotter for me personally.

All told, Destiny could actually be fun.

kamspy

Yeah Destiny looks good and all, but if the investment is as substantial as they make it out to be I don't see it recouping.

Titanfall looked a lot better to me but lacks single player, which is almost a deal breaker for me at full price. Yeah, I played the BF3 campaign and liked it.

Top Bottom