• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kavinsky's iOS game is out July 8th

fvng

Trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axWyEObMwgk

Obligatory Yu Suzuki shout out

a6c598a6835b11e29fe522000a1f97ce_7.jpg

64NqORq.jpg

I'm kinda upset its not 16 bit graphics ala Streets of Rage but ill buy it if its cheap. This will satiate my thirst for 80s throwback since I finished Blood Dragon.

http://youtu.be/wKES3IIbTl4

Available from July 8th on on all portable platforms and devices, for free !
http://kavinsky.recordmakers.com

'OutRun' album producer Kavinsky introduces the first ever video game based on a record.

Defeat foul villains and shady night creatures as you wander in the mean streets of Downtown LA. Your favorite Kavinsky records provide the soundtrack for your ride.

Mighty martial arts moves, deadly weapons, and the perfect soundtrack are just a click away! Grab it so you can take Kavinsky, his story, and his dreaded foes with you anywhere you go.

It's music history in a video game, soon available!

Says it's free and on all platforms??

Adam Blue

It says there's a 16-bit retro play mode. Hoping for Android version since they mention all mobile platforms. Not too clear on that.

Akira_83

Banned
is this the guy who did Nightcall that was used in the opening of Drive?

fucking love that song

oh and pacific coast highway is pretty rad too

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
I hope any original music he made for the game is made available to download at some point.

Edit: Looks like I'll be getting GTA V on day one.

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
16-bit mode screens from the website:

Horrible. I mean, just absolutely atrocious looking. This is gonna come somewhere other than mobile, right? As if the visuals weren't bad enough, the virtual analog stick is enough to make me never want to touch this game ever.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Disappointed by the lack of testarossa autodrive in the trailer and it being mobile only.

so this is out now...

*crickets*

Played the first 3 levels. and yes, its quite terribad. a punch AND a kick button but no block or evade? sheesh.

I'm back with impressions...

Kavinsky is most definitely the WORST game I've played on ios and very well could be one of the worst games I've played in my entire life. It's a side-scrolling beat 'em up with some driving/AR sections thrown in for variety sake.

The combat in this game is absolutely terrible. You're only given a virtual joystick (which actually works well for movement) and two input options - one for punching and another for kicking. There is no way to block so prepare to get gang raped when trying to take on multiple generic enemies at once. The controls feel sluggish and imprecise; it's almost as if there's a bit of lag between pressing a button and seeing the action performed on-screen. Movement takes place in a 3D space on a 2D plane but it's hard to hit enemies, I blame it on the touch screen controls, this game would definitely benefit from physical buttons and directional inputs. The boss fights at the end of the brawling levels are a joke, enemies have no discernible attack patterns and just come at you swinging until you take them down. However, this isn't hard to do considering there's no real penalty for dying. Your basic strategy basically boils down to mashing the punch button (the kick is way too slow and doesn't work half the time), if you die just revive, rinse, and repeat.

Like I said earlier they try to mix things up by adding in VR brawl segments. Here the game asks you to stand over a surface (preferable a magazine or book cover) on top of which your hero (Kavinsky) will appear next to his red testarossa. It's just a lame gimmick though, you end up trying to protect the car from random thugs who are inexplicably out to destroy your expensive vehicle and murder you with their bare fists. This leaves me wondering what the heck I ever did to deserve this, you would think I took a shit on their dead relatives grave and then went on a baby shaking spree. That's just my interpretation though, the game gives you absolutely no details when it comes to story.

7b0e318384db7082b2e167db19a6d890.png

The final portion of Kavinsky involves a driving section. This is without a doubt the worst part of the whole damn game. Basically it's Outrun or Crazi Taxi style - you have a timer and have to clear checkpoints scattered throughout the track to extend the time limit with the goal being to reach the end of the level. Simple enough right? Fuck no, this part is insanely difficult due to the piss poor controls. By default the game forces you to use the gyroscope controls which are terribly imprecise. Thankfully there's an option to control the car using arrows but that's also broken, they don't work half of the time and the car jerks around the track unpredictably when they do. It's literally a crap-shoot getting through these sections.

Not everything is bad about the game though. The music is amazing, French electro-house musician Vincent Belorgey provides the soundtrack which is sublime. I really got a retro 80s feeling listening to it. The atmosphere is great too, it's very reminiscent of Hotline Miami or GTA Vice City, you know, that 80s Miami take-on-the-world vibe oozes from the game. The graphics are excellent too and hey, it's a free game! However, these positives aren't even close to enough to outweigh the negatives I listed above. Expect to spend about an hour going through the six levels currently available (it looks like more will be added over time) but just remember though that you will never get that hour of your life back...I'm not sure Kavinsky is worth it.

Here's a download link to the game for any brave souls willing to play it: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/kavinsky/id633263643?mt=8

SmithnCo

Wow this looks fucking bad. I would play it but I might then have bad flashbacks whenever one of these songs comes up on rotation.

dukeoflegs

I downloaded the Android version and playing now. Can't complain about a free game.

FYI you can't transfer it to SD card.

So I guess Savant will have the superior electronic music iOS tie-in game.

On a related note, how much ass does the SAWAGii remix of Nightcall kick? Answer: all of the ass.

Top Bottom