• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Research uses Kinect to translate Sign Language

Source: Microsoft Research via Neowin

Today, Microsoft announced a new project from their Microsoft Research team in Asia that is trying to create a new and better way to translate sign language.

In a blog post, Microsoft states the team, working with another group at the Institute of Computing Technology at the Chinese Academy of Sciences, has created software that uses the Kinect for Windows hardware for its project.

The software has two modes. The first, Translation Mode, is self explanatory. It translate the sign language from a person into either text or speech. The second, Communications Mode, has a hearing person using the software who types in words that are then displayed on screen as sign language via a 3D avatar. The person on the other end then uses sign language that is then translated to text or speech.

Youtube Video Demonstration: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFUClV1FNYo

If Kinect is becoming powerful enough to identify and translate sign language, imagine the possibilities and precision of the software for upcoming games. Sign for spells and magic in things like Naurto, Fable, Oblivion.

tumblr_m5705bkwOy1qgap4ho1_500.gif

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Man, that is an awesome application for Kinect. Hadn't thought about it. I guess people who want this need to purchase the rather expensive PC dev kit?

Kromis1

As much as I dislike the business and corporate side of Microsoft, I absolutely adore their Research branch. Absolutely amazing the things they're trying to do!

Man, that is an awesome application for Kinect. Hadn't thought about it. I guess people who want this need to purchase the rather expensive PC dev kit?
The one that comes with development support and two Kinects? Why would they need to do that?
Why wouldn't they just purchase the inevitable regular consumer version?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Microsoft Research is so awesome. Consistently awesome stuff coming out of there. Kinect is and has always been awesome too.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
That's great, but I don't see many people complaining about Kinects uses outside of gaming, the device is great for many applications as we have seen already in multiple different industries. Most people just don't want it shoved into games, I have less than zero interest in waving my arms and hands about for a spell in oblivion or similar game.

Atomski

Actually something neat from Kinect.. been a while.

I cant imagine this will get much use on the xbone though.. on pc on the other hand it would be perfect for maybe a sign language training program.

Platy

Deaf people will be able to talk and understand other people talking !

IMAGINE HOW AWESOME WOULD BE A NARUTO GAME !

It won't ever be used for cool gaming applications just like the wiimote really wasn't, the kinect wasn't and the Move weren't. Devs have shown time and time again they only care about stronger hardware and traditional control methods

Tonguer

That's pretty cool. I've always thought Kinect has awesome possibilities....

... it's the execution.... the execution...

BigDug13

But Kinect is just a gimmick?!?

This is awesome.

It is a gimmick...for gaming. It's an incredible piece of tech with a ton of great applications. It's just most people don't want to pay more for it on their game system as its gaming specific applications have yet to be proven to be necessary or revolutionary.

Anyway, for stuff like this it is awesome and I'm happy to see any tech to assist with things like this.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I actually thought it would be cool to have a game where, when you cast a spell, you're prompted to do weird pattern of formations with your hand rapidly to cast it. And you have to remember the formations because they're not shown to you after the tutorial and they're different for each spell.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
The Microsoft Labs are a cool place. I'm always interested to see what crap they are messing around with in there.

sharath_kumar

Neo Member
I don't own an xbox 360 and possibly will never own an Xbone. But this research news is amazing and very good. Good luck to MS Research...

NewGame

Banned
I know a bit of sign language and I don't think the kinect could properly translate some of the finer uses of the gestures and subtle finger directions required for the language. No point in not trying though!

GamerJM

Banned
This is pretty cool just in general, but I don't think the potential for actual games is as incredible as people in this topic are making it out to be. It's still pretty neat even in that respect though.

Foolworm

a positive news article for MS? won't go past page 2 round these parts. :0)

Shall I start? Oh noes, now the NSA can wiretap deaf people!

In all seriousness though, this looks more impressive than many of the other attempts at cracking sign language interpretation. While the applications for gaming are there, I wouldn't presume that people would put their controllers down to make a hand signal or gesture.The controller itself has to involve more than finger movements (a la wiimote) for the Kinect to really have a chance, right now the control schemes for the XB1 are conflicting rather than complementary.

Kinect is a genuinely cool piece of technology. It's just the lot of stupid applications they make for it are not.

True.

They should be ashamed for not showing something similar to Sony playroom. Microsoft I have to pay 100 more Euros for this camera, please show me sonething cool, NOW.

rpmurphy

True.

They should be ashamed for not showing something similar to Sony playroom. Microsoft I have to pay 100 more Euros for this camera, please show me sonething cool, NOW.
Well, I think the problem with it primarily being marketed as a controller for a gaming device is that the applications are games. And let's face it, there's a large market of gamers who have established perceptions and expectations for what a gaming experience should be like, and the Kinect (along with other motion-based gaming controllers) just don't fit into that many cases where it absolutely is a better controller than the traditional button and stick setup, or even touchscreen. Not to mention game development having severe limitations in of itself, I think we're way more likely to see cool applications (that actually have solutions to problems that are difficult to achieve with other technologies) coming from research and pet projects that aren't necessarily going to be used on an Xbox.

ArjanN

Deaf people will be able to talk and understand other people talking !

IMAGINE HOW AWESOME WOULD BE A NARUTO GAME !

lol, yeah. That jumped out at me as well.

Fuck deaf people this could be a neat gimmick in a mediocre licensed game!

Ushae

Banned
Wow this is amazing. Imagine the in game possibilities if this came out as an accurate piece of software/tech? MS research impressive as always.

Top Bottom