• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just got a visit from scientology.

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
I took the scientologist exam, than they gave me a cute girl to evaluate the results with. She was cute as hell, somewhere in it all she said "No one's perfect", and I said except ron howard right ?

She actually never thought of it that way. I wish I saved her and we ran away together.

She never stopped to consider the shining beacon of perfection Richie from Happy Days is? Man, I wonder how Scientologists feel about the Fonz.

G.O.O.

Hehe. I didnt know they had books, I would love to read one. I have always wanted them to try and brainwash me but yeah that's probably a stupid and dangerous idea. Just so hard to imagine anyone buying into the stuff.
Don't. They can be very good. At the very least they'll make you feel like shit.

NekoFever

I used to work in a book shop where they'd always be on the street outside, handing out their pamphlets. One time they came in and put Scientology bookmarks in every single book in the religion and spirituality section, and they'd put LRH books in the bestsellers. So annoying.

LuchaShaq

Banned
Sounds like you handled that very well ;)

I only recently found out that the scientology centre for Munich is just around the corner from me. :-/
not seen any of them yet though.

Can't disagree more, when he doesn't answer emails she will be back.

Tell them no and to fuck off, it's much more effective and wastes less time of everyone

She walks out and just when I'm starting to think that I handled that pretty well, she comes back and asks me for my telephone or email because "She likes to keep in touch with people who are interested." Apperently she mistook my kind neutrality for sincere interest. I gave her an email I don't use anymore and wished her a nice day.
Nah, they track every successful conversation, sale etc and report them every thursday so they know if they are "downstat" or "upstat". Even if she thinks you were not interested, she needs her stats. http://www.forum.exscn.net/showthread.php?4777-quot-Upstat-quot-vs-quot-Downstat-quot

thomaser

When I told a friend of mine, he also asked me if I had to take a test. What does this entail exactly?

You have to answer 200 questions (they call it the "Oxford Capacity Analysis"). Here's a sample (from Wikipedia):

3. Do you browse through railway timetables, directories or dictionaries just for pleasure?
6. Do you get occasional twitches of your muscles, when there is no logical reason for it?
27. Do you often sing or whistle just for the fun of it?
30. Do you enjoy telling people the latest scandal about your associates?
59. Do you consider the modern prisons without bars system "doomed to failure"?
69. Does emotional music have quite an effect on you?
105. Do you rarely suspect the actions of others?
124. Do you often make tactless blunders?
196. Do you sometimes feel that your age is against you (too young or too old)?

While answering, you have to hold metal cans connected to an "e-meter", which, as has already been said, is just a wheatstone bridge. If the gauges move when you answer, it's a sign that something is wrong with you. Protip: hold the cans as lightly as you can, and don't squeeze if you want to get good results. The slightest squeeze will give a bad result.

Good or bad results, the test is set up in such a way that no matter what you answer, they'll find something negative, something "wrong" with you. They then say that they can help you with those exact problems, and try to set up an appointment in one of their places. They also try to sell you books before letting you go.

The daughter of a Norwegian politician killed herself a few years ago after taking one of these tests on the street. They found so much "wrong" with her that she became suicidally depressed. So don't try them, even not just for fun, if you don't know that their results are actually meaningless.

Never ran into a scientologist. Guess I'm lucky. Here in California, out in the desert, I've only run into Mormons and the old religious fanatics. They used to come into my store all the time, but they've dramatically decreased over the last couple years.

I used to work in a book shop where they'd always be on the street outside, handing out their pamphlets. One time they came in and put Scientology bookmarks in every single book in the religion and spirituality section, and they'd put LRH books in the bestsellers. So annoying.

Same with me, just not scientology. I'd find religious pamphlets tucked away on shelves and hidden with the magazines. Now, I just find the very rare, occasional pamphlet in the bathroom.

Ryan_

You have to answer 200 questions (they call it the "Oxford Capacity Analysis"). Here's a sample (from Wikipedia):

3. Do you browse through railway timetables, directories or dictionaries just for pleasure?
6. Do you get occasional twitches of your muscles, when there is no logical reason for it?
27. Do you often sing or whistle just for the fun of it?
30. Do you enjoy telling people the latest scandal about your associates?
59. Do you consider the modern prisons without bars system "doomed to failure"?
69. Does emotional music have quite an effect on you?
105. Do you rarely suspect the actions of others?
124. Do you often make tactless blunders?
196. Do you sometimes feel that your age is against you (too young or too old)?

While answering, you have to hold metal cans connected to an "e-meter", which, as has already been said, is just a wheatstone bridge. If the gauges move when you answer, it's a sign that something is wrong with you. Protip: hold the cans as lightly as you can, and don't squeeze if you want to get good results. The slightest squeeze will give a bad result.

Good or bad results, the test is set up in such a way that no matter what you answer, they'll find something negative, something "wrong" with you. They then say that they can help you with those exact problems, and try to set up an appointment in one of their places. They also try to sell you books before letting you go.

The daughter of a Norwegian politician killed herself a few years ago after taking one of these tests on the street. They found so much "wrong" with her that she became suicidally depressed. So don't try them, even not just for fun, if you don't know that their results are actually meaningless.

Thanks man! That was enlightening. I don't think I fully grasped the scop of what scientology is all about and how negative it is, when I was talking with that lady. I only remembered South Park at that moment. But yeah, they ruin lives. Damn

Jarek23

Banned
The moment she pulled out that Dianetics book I would have said get the fuuuuck out!

My brother used to be a Scientologist. It's turned him into a real piece of work. Don't get me wrong, I very much love my brother but there are certain things about him that are still completely fucked because of his 15 or so years with Scientology. Not to mention that he's over 40 and has hardly anything to his name because up until 5 years ago all his money went into Scientology, and he made great money for a lot of years. I'll stop here, I could go on and on but it'l just anger me.

Jarek23

Banned
^^^^

Is he still in? Or is he out?

If he's out, what was the turning point?

He's been out for about 5-6 years now. The turning point was when the company he worked at since University went bankrupt and shut down. Leaving him with the realization that he has no assets and no savings, he ended up moving to Europe to work for a friend of his and has been there since. It was pretty much both because of the fact that he suddenly noticed how much money he's wasted over the years and the Country in Europe he moved to, or at least in the immediate area didn't have a Scientology branch.

It didn't happen overnight, after a couple years he'd still bring it up in conversation from time to time when giving advice and what not. But as time went on that faded. He hasn't mentioned it in a few years.

But they still call my parents house a couple times a year looking for him, they've called me as well, no clue how they'd get my number. My immediate response is always he's done with you, stop fuckin calling and I hang up. But they continue to call back every now and then, according to my dad anyway. Who feels extremely negative towards the whole thing, understandable I guess.

But who knows, maybe secretly he's still into it. I couldn't say. I talk to him all the time, through skype or on the phone. It seems like he's removed himself, but you never know. I haven't seen him in almost 6 years.

Loxley

Sounds like you handled that very well ;)

I only recently found out that the scientology centre for Munich is just around the corner from me. :-/

Munich? I was under the impression that Germany effectively banned Scientology because it was considered a cult by the government?

Hm, didn't have my copy with me. I did however have Blood Meridian with me.
That could have done the trick too.

I always wanted to know what it's like with a fanatic person. A missed chance indeed.

Haha, not Ghent but Knokke! Free Record Shop in the Lippenslaan.
Come by any time, I'll give you a discount! In fact, any GAffer gets a discount!

Free Record Shop still exists?

Parallacs

If you are working in a store and anyone promotes anything to you, you should instantly state "no solicitations please."

The fact that you gave her a defunct email just encourages her to come back. Her making pitches to you and your customers can obviously hurt sales as well.

Some guy tried to recruit me on a Munich crosswalk at night in '99, back when it was still illegal. My highschool German was only good enough to understand delibrately slow speakers
and Austrians
, so I had no idea what he was yammering on about. I took his pamphlet to appease him and he grabbed my arm and gestured excitedly down the street.

Munich? I was under the impression that Germany effectively banned Scientology because it was considered a cult by the government?

If I remember correctly it is not allowed to call itself church in Germany, but I am honestly not sure beyond that.
ok after checking wikipedia, they are not officially recognised as a church or religion. It has been in and out of courts over the years with them trying to change that. So far the highest courts haven't ruled definitively either way.
They have been officially and actively watched by the Verfassungsschutz (Constitution Protection Agency for lack of a better word) for years and are therefore classed as possibly being anti democratic.

Interestingly the US State Department has officially been critical of this policy as being against freedom of speech and freedom of religion.

So, I'm working in a record store as a vacation job and since it's hot as hell, nobody's around.

Suddenly, there walks in this very bright, happy woman with a big smile on her face.
She almost looks to happy to be healthy. A bit frantic.
She shakes my hand and tells me she's promoting books.
Now, we have all sorts of promotions and leaflets lying around in the store so I kindly ask what books she's promoting.

Out comes the book "Dianetics" and promptly she begins to talk about how we only use 5% of our mental capacity and all kinds of shit like that.

At this point, I'm beginning to suspect something and when I read the cover and see who the author is, these suspicions are confirmed... L. Ron Hubbard.
Now, where did I hear that name before? Right! South Park!

So I kindly ask if she's from scientology and she answers proudly that she is and has been a member for 20 years.
My mind races with images of Tom Cruise and John Travolta in a closet, aliens and weird rituals.
Still, my professional courtesy allows me to not burst in laughter and I fake some genuine interest but I also let her know that I don't have any money for books nor the DVD she subsequently shows me. To ease her pain, I let her know that I will certainly visit her site.

She walks out and just when I'm starting to think that I handled that pretty well, she comes back and asks me for my telephone or email because "She likes to keep in touch with people who are interested." Apperently she mistook my kind neutrality for sincere interest. I gave her an email I don't use anymore and wished her a nice day.

Oh, well, since I'm from Belgium, this is the first time I got approached by scientology and since I'm bored of my ass, I thought I'd share it with you guys!

I don't know OP, you sound like a really nice dude but you probably shouldn't have encouraged her. These people are dangerous.

TedNindo

Oh, well, since I'm from Belgium, this is the first time I got approached by scientology and since I'm bored of my ass, I thought I'd share it with you guys!

Fellow Belgian here.
I've never encountered a scientologist in the wild before. Where was it if I may be so curious.
I know they have a church in Brussels because there were protests there when the whole Scientoligy vs anonymous thing went down. But that's about it when it comes to my knowledge of them in Belgium.

I'm from Antwerp btw.

Ryan_

Free Record Shop still exists?

Yeah, I know the media said otherwise at a given moment but another company
just acquisitioned us so we're good again. I'm happy since I work there every Sunday and I get double the hourly pay. So I get 20 euros/h for sitting there listening to some good music and reading some good books when it's calm. Oh, and helping the customers ofc.
Can't wish for a better student job!

I don't know OP, you sound like a really nice dude but you probably shouldn't have encouraged her. These people are dangerous.

Yeah, I know that now. You are right of course but at that moment I just felt pity.
It is only thanks to this thread that I began to understand just how evil scientology really is.

Fellow Belgian here.
I've never encountered a scientologist in the wild before. Where was it if I may be so curious.

I'm from Antwerp btw.

Lippenslaan in Knokke. She was from Holland though so technically that doesn't count as a wild Belgian scientologist.

Ugh. That sounds so annoying.

It's downtown about 2 blocks from Coors field so tons of people go by there. There seems to be a continual game amongst bar dwellers as to who can pee on the building without getting caught. There are a few dozen camera surounding it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom